Notices
ECU Flash

Timing pulled on trailing throttle

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2012, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing pulled on trailing throttle

Hi all, I have been logging timing and notice that at times it will dive way below the table values. So I started logging the both MUT 06 and MUT 33 and the difference can be as high as 30-40 degrees. The raw and scaled timing values follow each other pretty well until either trailing throttle or coming back onto throttle when the raw timing continues to follow the map but the actual timing will dive (I have seen it hit -10 when it should be 30ish)

Car is an AUDM 2007 IX, normally running 88580714. Mods are TBE and 3-port.

Things I have tried
Flash back to standard ROM 88580014
Periphery bit 10 (weird timing pull) on and off
Force into open loop by changing the load and throttle tables
Next i will try and zero all the cold temp trim tables (although everything appears to be up to temp)

Thought I would check with you guys to see if what I am talking about is normal and if not what is it that could cause 30 degrees to be pulled from the raw timing.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Timing pulled on trailing throttle-timing-retard-log.png  

Last edited by XR6T; Jan 2, 2012 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Attempt to add picture of log
Old Jan 2, 2012, 04:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Look into the 'Decel Fuel Cut Retard' and 'Low Coolant Temp Timing Trim Map' tables. Both can retard ignition timing a great deal from the base maps.

Was this stationary?

-Jamie
Old Jan 2, 2012, 05:37 PM

Hi Jamie,

The image above is a sample from logs taken in motion with generally light driving and couple of quick stabs on/off throttle while in gear.

I did try zeroing the 'Low Coolant Temp Timing Trim Map' tables which had no real effect.

Unfortunately my xml does not have a definition for the 'Decel Fuel Cut Retard' table, as well as prob a heap of others (a request for an updated xml is something i've been meaning to annoy someone on here with)

I even tried changing the settings for the ALS triggers this morning, but no luck.

On decel it seems to drop timing to 5* after a short period and hold, until i get back on the throttle then drops again as low as -10* before coming back to follow the raw timing again.

I have searched and searched but can't seem to find any discussion on a table that would pull this much timing.

Owen
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:43 AM

Tried disabling FAA Bit 9 which brought on 2k cold start RPM and other things but had no effect on timing pull.

Stock timing during decel is 35* which gets pulled to 5* so i increased the map to 40* and it got pulled to 10*, so all the different runs I have done with changes has had no effect on this - it always trims exactly 30* on decel.

Attached is another log showing a couple of quick in gear stabs on the throttle. Timing dives from raw 32* down to -8*.
Attached Thumbnails Timing pulled on trailing throttle-timing-retard-log-2.png  
Old Jan 7, 2012, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
88580013/4

Decel Fuel-Cut Spark Retard, x10, 3DC6, Timing
rpm, 6D56
Old Jan 8, 2012, 03:17 AM

Hey Merlin thanks for that, I checked my values and they are the stock 10* from 1500 rpm up. I think have tried modifying these numbers and it didn't help, I'll give it another go. I even cleaned The MAF today and although badly needed and well overdue it didn't help.

I don't understand why stabbing the throttle can nail the timing to the -10* limit, it makes the car a pig to drive on light throttle.

I wonder if I could hit you up for a 88580013/4/5 xml? I know you guys have found a lot of new tables that i might be able to fiddle with. I have tried to keep up but my creations look poo.

I am starting to think the only way to fix this thing is to buy a X

Cheers