Notices
ECU Flash

Tephra V7 OBD Inspection.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2012, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tephra V7 OBD Inspection.

Now that I believe to have figured out my voltage issue. I need to pass emissions. My car wont pass emissions. I have removed a lot out of the engine bay. So I have questions on how to exactly pass emissions with this feature. I'd like to go do it as soon as possible.

I have some CEL's tho. Does that matter? IF so do I need to delete those CEL's first and then do the force emissions pass?

Here's every window open on my rom for the OBD Inspection. Stock Tephra V7.

Some of these things dont' make sense to me exactly. The top 3 do, I change those Hex codes to the Forced Pass codes. But the two bottom boxes I don't get. Do those two bottom boxes matter? Cause what it looks like is just a monitor telling me what things I have avail., and what things are passing and not passing. Am I correct?

I hope you can help me with this. This is the first time I've even looked at this Emissions pass thing.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am also interested in this. To my knowledge the bottom boxes tell the scan tool what is available and what will pass. Obviously if its available it should pass and Im sure if it isnt it should fail. I see that you have some available and then in the other box you have it set to fail which Im sure should be set to pass. Im sure someone else will guide you a bit better as I am trying to figure this out as well. I have everything set to available and pass but Ive read somewhere that the following arent available: A/C system refrigerant, secondary air system, and heated catalyst. Is this true? My car is registered in CA and at the end of this year my car will need to get tested . At least I have a good while to mess with things.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
in the first 3 boxes, you are set to stock settings, you need to make the patches active and then go through and make the monitor ready and pass/fail match stock.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a fully built 2.4L, zero EGR hardware left, and passed TX inspection with flying colors. TephraMod v7 is amazing.

-Acree
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol where the heck have i been?? my evo definitely needs this!!!
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
in the first 3 boxes, you are set to stock settings, you need to make the patches active and then go through and make the monitor ready and pass/fail match stock.
So the first 3 boxes is a given. And the 2nd two, I just set them all to pass? AKA hex=1? Do I mess with the Monitor Available window(4th window)? This is all on a DSM with a mildly built 2.0, But on Evo8 ECU and Evo3 560's. But I have no emissions hardware installed and half the stock solenoids were removed. Or does this really matter, because the ECU is telling the Emissions tester that it has this, and this is what is passing?
Originally Posted by Acree
I have a fully built 2.4L, zero EGR hardware left, and passed TX inspection with flying colors. TephraMod v7 is amazing.

-Acree
This is what I wanna hear! I'm hoping to get it done in the next few minutes, and drive up to the nearest Emissions box and have it done!

Also another thing I wanna know, do I have to delete the CEL's first?

Last edited by DarkerStars; Feb 6, 2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DarkerStars
Also another thing I wanna know, do I have to delete the CEL's first?
If you reflash the ECU the codes will go away. Set box 4 and 5 all to 1's and you should be good. I dont know how it works where you live but in CA when they scan your car they read certain paramters on the ECU saved from driving. When you clear codes it also wipes these parameters saved and the inspector will know and fail you automatically.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

i suggest not just setting it to all ones, as if you have a state where they pay any attention the computer will see that you are passing on systems that may not have ever been on the car.

you need to set it to reflect what a stock car would show.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 02:26 PM

Ok now your all now making 0 sense. So I delete codes and fail even with the force emissions pass. But if I don't I fail anyway even with the force emissions pass? kinda defeats the meaning of force pass. First off I don't know how to delete the 9 codes I have. I know how to clear them but they pop right back up as soon as I start the car.

Also I didn't set all to 1. Itset itself. When I set the force emissions it set all the ready and pass to 1.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

i suggest not just setting it to all ones, as if you have a state where they pay any attention the computer will see that you are passing on systems that may not have ever been on the car.

you need to set it to reflect what a stock car would show.
You are right. Set A/C system refrigerant, secondary air system, and heated catalyst all to 0, I'm sure this is what a stock car should show as unsupported. Do they do a visual inspection? This is what many people fail in CA as most inspectors are ****.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DarkerStars
Ok now your all now making 0 sense. So I delete codes and fail even with the force emissions pass. But if I don't I fail anyway even with the force emissions pass? kinda defeats the meaning of force pass. First off I don't know how to delete the 9 codes I have. I know how to clear them but they pop right back up as soon as I start the car.

Also I didn't set all to 1. Itset itself. When I set the force emissions it set all the ready and pass to 1.
I think you misunderstood. You set the first 3 to pass force inspection and then boxes 4 and 5 you have to set all but the 3 I mentioned above to 1. You don't have to clear the codes because as soon as you reflash your ecu it clears everything.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by erbarrientos
I think you misunderstood. You set the first 3 to pass force inspection and then boxes 4 and 5 you have to set all but the 3 I mentioned above to 1. You don't have to clear the codes because as soon as you reflash your ecu it clears everything.
No it doesn't.... i've reflashed and everything says pass. But there is a CEL. Clearing and deleting from the system are two completely different things. Clearing just clears the ECU to re learn everything. Well it re learns some codes instantly. If I delete them (like I could in a H8 ECU) then naturally it would say test not ready (where force pass comes into play, or should) but the code will never be displayed again. Which is ok by me because I can just fix things later.

BUT, I already did. I burnt the rom to the ECU and CEL is still there. And ECUFlash set everything to 1. The first 3 boxes I changed the 4 Hex codes to the pass codes and then it set all the other two boxes to 1's. The Monitor avail and the monitor pass all to 1.

No, they don't do a visual on obd2 cars. They connect their computer up, hold the engine at like 4000rpm for a few minutes. And the ECU tells the computer pass, fail or test not ready (which is where the force pass should come into play) BUT.... The problem is, while they are in the car, and they see the CEL.... will they say "well I gotta fail you because your car has a CEL. Even tho it passes with flying colors". I get a free test if I fail, but its on the other side of town. My car is not registered or insured. I'm in no position to get anymore tickets. So I am kinda wanting this to pass first time around. Throwing no codes and passing.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

I gave you false info. I believe On the Evo 8 ecus it doesn't clear the codes when you reflash, you have to do it in your own. Have you disconnected the battery for a few minutes or you can also use Evoscan.

Last edited by edsct9a; Feb 6, 2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

most states cel on is instant fail.

depending on the codes, you could go further and shut them off in the periphery bits just to pass.

i have a screenshot of what the stock settings should be, i just cant get to it from work.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by erbarrientos
I gave you false info. I believe On the Evo 8 ecus it doesn't clear the codes when you reflash, you have to do it in your own. Have you disconnected the battery for a few minutes or you can also use Evoscan.
The CEL kept showing right back up. I tried deleting the codes, or shuting off the codes (not clearing them cause that wont clear a code for something failing) but only could find a couple codes. Well found out I was using the wrong Rom. I don't have a Crank Position Sensor. That was half the codes I was throwing. Now just throwing the EGR and EVAP ****. But I think I might have taken care of it. I went into like the 4th Preferiby (sp) area and changed some of those codes to 0. I'm just shooting in the dark because nobody has been able to tell me how to shut off or delete the codes period. And drove to the Emissions place, no engine light... But failed instantly because car started boiling over.
most states cel on is instant fail.

depending on the codes, you could go further and shut them off in the periphery bits just to pass.

i have a screenshot of what the stock settings should be, i just cant get to it from work.
Yes, That area... Is that the right area to actually shut them off so they will never show back up? Because nobody has told me "yes that is where you do it". I found that and some things were set to 0 and some to 1. I changed the codes I got to 0. BUT couldn't find one, P0090. No name. But currently not sure if I'm throwing a code yet because CEL hasn't turned back on yet.

So emissions places are closed now. I'll try again tomorrow after I get some fresh coolant in the system and a new fan that actually works.

Last edited by DarkerStars; Feb 6, 2012 at 04:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Tephra V7 OBD Inspection.