Notices
ECU Flash

How do I tune with EcuFlash then write files with EvoScan?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How do I tune with EcuFlash then write files with EvoScan?

I'm having the common issue of using EcuFlash 1.42 with Tephra and a Tactrix cable that won't work with any EcuFlash version past 1.29. Tephra works with EcuFlash versions 1.41+ I found out after a week of my tuner and I scratching our heads. I've been reading that some members have been using 1.42 for mapping and then reading/writing the files with EvoScan which makes sense.

My problem is that I'm a newbie at this and need to know exactly in detail how to save/transfer the maps to EvoScan to write the files. If I can do this, I'll get to drive my Evo for the 1st time in 51 months. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by okevolutionVIII; Mar 25, 2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by okevolutionVIII
I'm having the common issue of using EcuFlash 1.42 with Tephra and a Tactrix cable that won't work with any EcuFlash version past 1.29. Tephra works with EcuFlash versions 1.41+ I found out after a week of my tuner and I scratching our heads.
What version of Tactrix cable are you using? (1.3 / 2?)
This is usually a driver problem (nor sometime window's frameworks problem)
You can re-install and try.
Most important is for you to have all the XML definitions installed onyour computer in order to read - edit - rewrite our ROM.

I've been reading that some members have been using 1.42 for mapping and then reading/writing the files with EvoScan which makes sense.
NO. Evoscan is just used to logs your car running and to visualize them by "Ecuflash look alike" but it wont works to write any rom. You just can open you rom in it in order to compare your logs with your rom tables and take the corrections easiest but the work has to be done in Ecuflash.

Hope that helps!
Cheers.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

It's a Tactrix 1.3. I don't get why I'm reading about others using EvoScan to write files to their ECUs due to having the same problems I am. I was able to read & write files with EcuFlash 1.29 just fine but the values in Tephra were screwed up and wouldn't start the car.

Originally Posted by Vigman
What version of Tactrix cable are you using? (1.3 / 2?)
This is usually a driver problem (nor sometime window's frameworks problem)
You can re-install and try.
Most important is for you to have all the XML definitions installed onyour computer in order to read - edit - rewrite our ROM.

NO. Evoscan is just used to logs your car running and to visualize them by "Ecuflash look alike" but it wont works to write any rom. You just can open you rom in it in order to compare your logs with your rom tables and take the corrections easiest but the work has to be done in Ecuflash.

Hope that helps!
Cheers.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

It is a XML definition problem.
Try more search with "Little Endian"...
Have a good look on this to learn more on tuning methods:
http://www.evoscan.com/ecuflash/Merl...UIDE-V1.7a.pdf
Cheers.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

I have Merlins tuning guide bookmarked already. The Tephra XML document was emailed to me and saved to use by my tuner.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I have this problem too, and never bothered to solve it as I was happy to use evoscan to reflash. I usually reflash with my Evoscan GPS touchscreen!

Once you've made your Ecuflash edits, copy the new rom to your Documents/Evoscan v2.9/ROMS folder. Open Evoscan, select the Reflash ECU tab, choose your rom, and you're away.

Might have to see if some updated Windows drivers will solve it now Vigman mentioned it.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds exactly like what I'm needing but do I need EvoScan v2.9 for this or would v2.8 like I have work? And how do I access the folder to copy the ROM to?

Originally Posted by HyperDisorder
I have this problem too, and never bothered to solve it as I was happy to use evoscan to reflash. I usually reflash with my Evoscan GPS touchscreen!

Once you've made your Ecuflash edits, copy the new rom to your Documents/Evoscan v2.9/ROMS folder. Open Evoscan, select the Reflash ECU tab, choose your rom, and you're away.

Might have to see if some updated Windows drivers will solve it now Vigman mentioned it.

Last edited by okevolutionVIII; Mar 25, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I think the reflash feature has been there a while - it's definitely in 2.8.

To find your rom, most likely go to C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenECU\EcuFlash. If it's not there, check where it's saving when you're in EcuFlash.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

I think I got it but the file was saved as a BIN file and I believe it needs to be a HEX file as all the images I read from my ECU are HEX files. How do I go about saving as a HEX file?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

just rename the extension. alternatively, in EcuFlash, resave it as Hex

then copy across

cheers
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Okay, I saved the image to the desktop, went to Folder Options>View and then unchecked "Hide extensions for known file types". Then went to the file on the desktop and renamed it with ".hex" at the end. When putting the cursor over the file, it showed "Type: HEX File". I then copied and pasted it to the ROM folder in EvoScan and the image was there to flash to the ECU. Car still didn't start so I'm just need someone to make sure that adding ".hex" to the end of the file is all that was needed so I can let my tuner know if I need another map. Thanks so much for the help so far.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm having the common issue of using EcuFlash 1.42 with Tephra and a Tactrix cable that won't work with any EcuFlash version past 1.29. Tephra works with EcuFlash versions 1.41+ I found out after a week of my tuner and I scratching our heads. I've been reading that some members have been using 1.42 for mapping and then reading/writing the files with EvoScan which makes sense.

My problem is that I'm a newbie at this and need to know exactly in detail how to save/transfer the maps to EvoScan to write the files. If I can do this, I'll get to drive my Evo for the 1st time in 51 months. Thanks in advance.
Are you sure you have a tactrix cable? The evoscan cables are similiar but they didn't work with some versions of EcuFlash so you have to use EvoScan to flash or get a tactrix cable.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by codgi
Are you sure you have a tactrix cable? The evoscan cables are similiar but they didn't work with some versions of EcuFlash so you have to use EvoScan to flash or get a tactrix cable.
Idk what cable it is. It has no writing on it if that makes a difference but I got confirmation from other members that the process I did with the files was correct.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

if its an older 1.3 cable (like 2+ year old) then it will not work with the latest ecuflash because it does not have tactrix license. if its the basic 1.3 cable from evoscan (the cheaper reflash one) then its the same case.

there was a hack to get some of the later versions of ecuflash to work, if u search u will find it... but not the latest versions.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

try using EvoScan to read the ECU and confirm that it uploaded the map correctly. If it did, then upload the new map (one downloaded from EvoScan) which will ensure you are uplaoding a good HEX file.

If the car still doesnt start, then it is the map which needs adjusting

cheers

Quick Reply: How do I tune with EcuFlash then write files with EvoScan?