Notices
ECU Flash

where to begin with this log?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2012, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where to begin with this log?

finally got the chance today to get an actual "real" log today since i wired in my aem uego gauge for logging. i replaced the spark plugs before doing the run and gapped them to .022. the ONLY change from this log and the last wot pull i did was switching plugs from BPR8es to BR8es ngks, and i think possibly from a tank of Marathon 93oct fuel to Thorntons 92oct.

the first time i logged without a wideband just to get an idea of loads, idc, knock, tps, etc and the most knock i seen was 2. this time however is different... more of my log in third gear this time is filled with numbers other than 0's. it krept from 0 to 4 jumped to 11 counts around 4500 and then declined from there from the car pulling timing. car still pulled like a raped ape since i fixed the cutting out issue it had a week ago.

i can already see most of the run is lean, until i went into 4th. if you look at the log when the knock hits 0 and stays there that is 4th gear.

a few questions:
i know the numbers in the fuel table are only a reference or idea of what the ecu shoots for but should they be off as much as they are from the log to the stock 94170008 rom fuel tables?

i know any knock over 3 is bad, but exactly how bad is 11 counts of knock (kind of a stupid question, but i would like to know more in depth on knock and if there is a certain level once you pass you grenade the motor and was i past that level and got extremely lucky?)

when i start adding fuel since most of the log is full of knock, should i simply start at the 2500 rpm mark at 76 load highlight from there and up on load and rpm and add fuel to richen the entire boost region up since thats where knock starts? or should i do one cell at a time? i would think i need to get the afrs roughed in to around 12.5 at spool up 11.5 at peak and tapering to 10.8 at redline and do another log to see where the knock is at that point correct?

here is the log feel free to look it over and give me your opinions. ill list mods if needed

log.zip

Old Apr 1, 2012, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I hate to be "that guy" but your tune looks to be completely fugged up. A/F ratio should be in the 11.0-11.7 range and not in the 13.0's or 10.5's at WOT. Also your timing is really wack, running deep into the negative range (-3 down to -7). My best guess would be your fuel map helping cause the knock.

11 counts of knock is extremely bad and could possibly grenade the motor especially running as lean as you are.

Last edited by evo8426; Apr 1, 2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Do you have lean spool enabled? Could explain the lean third gear and normal(-ish) fourth.

11 knocksum definitely isn't geat for the engine, but I don't think it would grenade the motor in 1 or 2 pulls.

That said, I would make sure to stay out of boost except for logging/tuning purposes.

Timing looks normal at the point it starts knocking, so the fuel map is most likely the culprit for the high knock you experienced. like I mentioned first, check lean spool. If it's enabled, I would disable it for the sake of simplicity. Then log again. I wouldn't do more than a 3000-4500 rpm pull in third to check, no need to stretch it out to 7k in case it does knock again and beat on the motor some more.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

thanks evo8426, and dont worry bout being "that guy" and ya i figured the tune was way off but that would be due to a previous tune being way worse so the fuel maps and timing maps on the car now are only stock un touched tables. the previous owner had the fuel table leaned way out.

raptord im assuming lean spool is enabled due to the fuel table at 2500 and 100 lad is in the 13's. ill search around and find out how to disable it, then start tuning in 1000 rpm increments and def wont be doing any wot to 7000 again. i also will need to pay attention to my check engine light because i should have flashing cel on 4 counts of knock or higher but i donno if it went off on the log. i was more focused on boost levels and afr.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

anyone know if the lean spool table definitons in the xml for 94170015 are the same for 94170008? i cant seem to find them for the 0008 but found these for the 0015

<table name="Lean Spool Start RPM" category="Fuel Lean Spool" address="1680" type="1D" level="1" scaling="RPMStatLimit"/>

<table name="Lean Spool Stop RPM" category="Fuel Lean Spool" address="1684" type="1D" level="1" scaling="RPMStatLimit"/>

<table name="Lean Spool Load Threshold" category="Fuel Lean Spool" address="39a2" type="2D" level="1" scaling="Load8">
<table name="input value" address="63da" type="X Axis" elements="14" scaling="RPM"/>
</table>

<table name="Lean Spool Trailing Time (Rich Side)" category="Fuel Lean Spool" address="397a" type="2D" level="1" scaling="uint8">
<table name="input value" address="63da" type="X Axis" elements="14" scaling="RPM"/>
</table>

<table name="Lean Spool Trailing Time (Lean Side)" category="Fuel Lean Spool" address="398e" type="2D" level="1" scaling="uint8">
</table>

<table name="Min Temp for Lean Spool" category="Fuel Lean Spool" address="167e" type="1D" level="1" scaling="Temp"/>

<table name="Lean Spool Enable Load Hysteresis" category="Fuel Lean Spool" address="167c" type="1D" level="1" scaling="Load16"/>

<table name="Lean Spool AFR Mapping" category="Fuel Lean Spool" address="39b6" type="2D" level="1" scaling="AFR">
<table name="base AFR" address="6400" type="X Axis" elements="7" scaling="AFR16"/>
</table>

<table name="Lean Spool AFR below Enable" category="Fuel Lean Spool" address="1682" type="1D" level="1" scaling="AFR16"/>

<table name="Lean Spool Clip Value" category="Fuel Lean Spool" address="1686" type="1D" level="1" scaling="AFR16"/>

also should i disable lean spool through these tables? or through the periphery bits tables i just added in?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cant help you with the addresses. I disable it in periphery.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Just use periphery bits
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

i tried using periphery bits to disable it. drove to get gas and noticed at idle its around 15 afr but then will swing down into the 11s for some reason... wasnt doing that before. on the way back did a log from 2500 to 4k and had 0 counts of knock? looked at the afr and its a little richer but not alot so i dont know what the deal is.

im also giving up (for now) on tuning my own car to avoid potential damage to my engine. im going to keep reading and learning for a while before i attempt anything else. as for now chris at mellon racing is working on my first rom flash. i went ahead and paid for the first tune so i can see what they change and why and get a better understanding of whats going on. i really want to learn as much as i can about this since it is vital to a cars performance when upgrading things. i would also love to start tuning my own and others cars as well. im positive i made the right decision since i have never heard anything negative about mellon racing, not to mention they have the record for the highest hp evo on the stock ecu. now that says something i think.