Notices
ECU Flash

horribly slow (useless) evoscan logging speed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
horribly slow (useless) evoscan logging speed

this is a new one to me and im stumped. for the past year i have had zero issues, and have been logging at greater than 100/second and probably closer to greater than 120/second. didnt use my tuning computer for a month or more, went out to take some logs the other night in the usual manner, and came home to find my 2k-7500 rpm 3rd gear pulls produced 5 or less data points.

at this point with super speed turned on, logging to screen and file and logging about 10 parameters (which is exactly what i have always done) the rate is struggling to even get to 20/s. logging to file only it will approach 60/second.

setup:
computer is a dell netbook (no idea on specs really, but its worked great until now)
-tactrix 1.3 cable
-evoscan 2.8
-aem uego logged via serial

so far i wiped out and reinstalled evoscan as well as all the tactrix drivers. this computer is only used for tuning, no extra crap on it, plenty of hd space etc.

anyone have any ideas whatsoever?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Is the computer itself running at a normal speed for normal operations or has that also slowed down?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

computer seems to be functioning just fine. the only part of the system that has actually changed is i went from a factory battery to a mini battery.

i dont forsee the small battery causing this.

anybody have any ideas what i could check on the computer? all usb ports are set to 9600.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine was sending me to websites that I didnt click on when searching stuff in google. But aside from that and the horribly slow logging, there were no other issues with the laptop. A clean windows install fixed it. Im still working on my tune (was much worse then), so I couldnt deal with it and the format was the quickest sure-thing I could do to fix it. Now I swear its faster than before the issues.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

i have some form on anti virus however out of date it may be...i wish i had something like that going on to point me in some direction at least. the only sites ive visited on that comp are here, evoscan, tactrix and google.

i would have probably already jumped to a full windows re install, but i bought this comp used and pre-loaded off ebay and as a result have no windows 7 disk, nor does the computer have a cd drive...

i effing hate windows, i do not own a single other windows based piece of electronics.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

so who wants to be my best friend and "loan" me a copy of WIN 7?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
so who wants to be my best friend and "loan" me a copy of WIN 7?
If you have a valid serial number for windows 7, you can find a copy of it on the net to use with your valid serial number.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
this is a new one to me and im stumped. for the past year i have had zero issues, and have been logging at greater than 100/second and probably closer to greater than 120/second. didnt use my tuning computer for a month or more, went out to take some logs the other night in the usual manner, and came home to find my 2k-7500 rpm 3rd gear pulls produced 5 or less data points.

at this point with super speed turned on, logging to screen and file and logging about 10 parameters (which is exactly what i have always done) the rate is struggling to even get to 20/s. logging to file only it will approach 60/second.

setup:
computer is a dell netbook (no idea on specs really, but its worked great until now)
-tactrix 1.3 cable
-evoscan 2.8
-aem uego logged via serial

so far i wiped out and reinstalled evoscan as well as all the tactrix drivers. this computer is only used for tuning, no extra crap on it, plenty of hd space etc.

anyone have any ideas whatsoever?
Try setting the baud rate, top left in EvoScan, and BAUDRATE2_MUT in the Other ECU Options section of your ROM to 62500. That gives me 20/s for 16 MUT reads with logging to screen turned off.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cdrinkh2o
Try setting the baud rate, top left in EvoScan, and BAUDRATE2_MUT in the Other ECU Options section of your ROM to 62500. That gives me 20/s for 16 MUT reads with logging to screen turned off.
im thinking you meant 200/s?

either way, there is stil an underlying issue that caused my rate to tank. at this point i think that mod would maybe only get me back to normal if anything.

i stupidly realized that my computer has a window key on a sticker on the bottom...i dont have a mem stick big enough to put the file on tho. ill see if i can pick one up tomorrow.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

after 6 hours or so building a bootable usb key and wiping/reinstalling windows, im back in business at 125/sec while logging to screen. ive taken away as much of windows independence as possible so hopefully it does do anything to screw this up again.

still nervous to convert to tephra tho, since ive killed yet another wideband sensor.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts
Glad to hear you are back in business and got your laptop problems sorted.
As far as tephra V7 goes - just do it - you won't regret it. Unfortunately it's not going to stop you killing WBO2's. I've got a similar problem with my first WBO2 going crazy on me. What do you think is causing your issue?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect your antivirus might have been running scans and this making your computer slow. Some antivirus's will scan until your battery level reaches the low point (20% life).

My suggestion for future use would be to leave it on and running for awhile in the house for an hour or so, then take it outside to use.

Also Security Essentials by Microsoft is an Anti-virus with low cpu usage. I've had it for a year now on a couple computers without problems. Hope this helps for next time to save yourself a reload.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cdrinkh2o
Glad to hear you are back in business and got your laptop problems sorted.
As far as tephra V7 goes - just do it - you won't regret it. Unfortunately it's not going to stop you killing WBO2's. I've got a similar problem with my first WBO2 going crazy on me. What do you think is causing your issue?
i have no intentions of it fixing the fact that i keep killing sensors. my sensor placement is crap, i need to rotate the cat, as of no the sensor is below parallel. as well as the fact that almost all my driving is short trips (1 mile commute) and i basically just get in and go, so the sensor is getting exposed to rich warmup conditions without ever warming up.

i didnt want to go to v7 without a working WB for fear of something going whacky in the tables.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
You ever get this fixed? Having a similar issue.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evo_Jay
You ever get this fixed? Having a similar issue.
Do you have any firewall or computer security software like McCafee or Norton Security? That can make it run really slow. Otherwise I am not sure what would cause it. Maybe make sure you have a 3.0 USB (Blue port) so at least the data has the ability to transfer quickly.