Notices
ECU Flash

FreeFuel ECU patch - a flex fuel implementation to Evo ECU

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 09:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by wreckleford
What I found though is that the ethanol content reported fluctuates a little bit, jumping down to 17% momentarily and back up to 22%. I'm wondering if this is corresponding to changes in my battery voltage (it fluctuates somewhat) or if this is to be expected.
Congrats on the progress you have made Wreckleford - about time too

Changes in battery supply voltage are smoothed by the voltage regulator (LM317) in the circuit you built. A fluctuation of +/- 2.5% in your output voltage (=E%) is within the tolerance expected for the output side of your circuit.

An input variation of +/- 2.5% is easily good enough to drive the FlexFuel routines in the patched ECU without adding risk. Don't you think it's time to turn it on and start tuning?
Old May 26, 2016, 09:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by edsct9a
Now my gauge is able to output a 0-5v signal would this help? What's the converter circuit for? I'll go back and read tomorrow but maybe you can summarize what's been going on or point me to key posts.
If you already have a 0-5V analog output from your Innovate ethanol content gauge, you don't need to build the converter circuit. All the circuit does is to convert the frequency output from your ethanol sensor into a voltage that can be read by the ECU.

Just connect your gauge output to the ECU pin that is used normally for map switching:
- Evo 8 4-plug ECU: pin 42
- Evo 8 3-plug ECU: pin 64

Follow the steps in the first few posts to patch your ROM and start tuning!
The following users liked this post:
dr_latino999 (Oct 19, 2016)
Old May 26, 2016, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cdrinkh2o
If you already have a 0-5V analog output from your Innovate ethanol content gauge, you don't need to build the converter circuit. All the circuit does is to convert the frequency output from your ethanol sensor into a voltage that can be read by the ECU.

Just connect your gauge output to the ECU pin that is used normally for map switching:

Thanks for the information. So is this not yet available for the 9? I didnt see anything for 88590015. Id really like to work on this.
Old May 27, 2016, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Congrats on the progress you have made Wreckleford - about time too

Changes in battery supply voltage are smoothed by the voltage regulator (LM317) in the circuit you built. A fluctuation of +/- 2.5% in your output voltage (=E%) is within the tolerance expected for the output side of your circuit.

An input variation of +/- 2.5% is easily good enough to drive the FlexFuel routines in the patched ECU without adding risk. Don't you think it's time to turn it on and start tuning?
Thanks for your reply. My implementing the patch is more than overdue! I hope to do so in the next few weeks.
Old May 27, 2016, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

I think many people share this misunderstanding about the converter box and this is why few people have tried the patch.
Old May 29, 2016, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

After many many months I finally started my car with the converter circuit and ethanol content sensor connected. I put a couple gallons of pump fuel in the tank to start with. I measured this with my ethanol tester beforehand and found it to be E07. This showed as E06.9 with the voltage to ethanol percent scaling I used in Evoscan. Threw a half gallon of E98 into the tank and got E22 registered which is roughly correct for the amount I added to the original pump gas. I intend to drain a little bit and check it in the tester also but haven't done so yet.

At this point I am not making use of the free fuel patch rom, just logging ethanol content. The 02 feedback is adjusting for the additional ethanol currently. What I found though is that the ethanol content reported fluctuates a little bit, jumping down to 17% momentarily and back up to 22%. I'm wondering if this is corresponding to changes in my battery voltage (it fluctuates somewhat) or if this is to be expected.

I will update further when I actually implement the patch. At the rate i am going it might be several more months.
Small update - I drained a little fuel from my tank and tested it with my ethanol tester tube. It came out to 22.5% so things are looking good so far with the converter box and the adc input to ethanol percent formula I am using in Evoscan.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which sensor would this work with?

Originally Posted by ast
Nice to see that some people are using FreeFuel in the US and are happy with it.

I wonder if anybody in the US would be interested in adapter / converter designed for FreeFuel to convert sensor signal to ECU analog input. It's a fully digital adapter designed by me. Unlike analog solutions output voltage range is optimized to allow using safety features built into the FreeFuel patch and maximum ethanol content resolution. Output is also very stable is much faster to react to sensor signal change than analog designs. It is currently in use in some cars in Finland with good feedback. Installation is made as simple as possible: just pull one wire through firewall to engine bay, push pins to sensor connector frame and solder three wires to ECU.

Price would be around 100 USD shipped to US from Finland. Not sure if you have to pay taxes on top of that.

I have attached a spec sheet to this message.

I would appreciate if the discussion of the other FlexFuel solution, apparently called FiTronic, would be kept outside this thread. As far as I know it has nothing to do with this patch and it can be extremely confusing to mix the discussion about it here. Thank you.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 09:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by turbotiger
Which sensor would this work with?
Continental, which pretty much every body uses.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
After many many months I finally started my car with the converter circuit and ethanol content sensor connected. I put a couple gallons of pump fuel in the tank to start with. I measured this with my ethanol tester beforehand and found it to be E07. This showed as E06.9 with the voltage to ethanol percent scaling I used in Evoscan. Threw a half gallon of E98 into the tank and got E22 registered which is roughly correct for the amount I added to the original pump gas. I intend to drain a little bit and check it in the tester also but haven't done so yet.

At this point I am not making use of the free fuel patch rom, just logging ethanol content. The 02 feedback is adjusting for the additional ethanol currently. What I found though is that the ethanol content reported fluctuates a little bit, jumping down to 17% momentarily and back up to 22%. I'm wondering if this is corresponding to changes in my battery voltage (it fluctuates somewhat) or if this is to be expected.

I will update further when I actually implement the patch. At the rate i am going it might be several more months.
Are we able to get a wiring diagram that you used for the LM741? I am interested in building one for myself. and possibly the scaling you used for evocan?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run 90550701 (Evo 7) Tephra v7 currently, and plan to switch to SD after I finish my engine swap. Am I dreaming when i comes to wanting flex fuel?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 09:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Can be done on FiTronic 3VOLUTIONIST. The kit cost money though, Because it comes with hardware & display.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 09:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by 3VOLUTIONIST
I run 90550701 (Evo 7) Tephra v7 currently, and plan to switch to SD after I finish my engine swap. Am I dreaming when i comes to wanting flex fuel?
Other than the commercial solution that does some mysterious functions in an external box, there won't be a patched ROM solution until someone gets the time and motivation to make it happen.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
Can be done on FiTronic 3VOLUTIONIST. The kit cost money though, Because it comes with hardware & display.
Don't forget that you are forced into choosing between three tuners and can't do this on your own. That is unless that has changed as of the past few months.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by 3VOLUTIONIST
Why not use a Evo 8 rom/ecu?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 02:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Cancelled

Quick Reply: FreeFuel ECU patch - a flex fuel implementation to Evo ECU