Notices
ECU Flash

FreeFuel ECU patch - a flex fuel implementation to Evo ECU

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Can someone provide more clear instructions to implement the patch for 9653076? Not sure who's using this but seems others have used it successfully if you can please share the knowledge that would be great.
Edit... figured it out just took a few tries. Time to tinker now.

Last edited by ronaldo9; Sep 4, 2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 03:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Assault
I'm using an Arduino nano as the voltage converter with a dc-dc power supply to step down from ~12v to 7v to power the Arduino and a Resistor/Capacitor smoothing circuit on the output, in conjunction with a Continental sensor from Ballinger.

Not a lot of replies here so I'm not sure of the interest in this, but as a lot of people have asked for a IX Rom in the past then 88592715 might be a good place to start. The IX will have a bit more work involved than the 7 or 8 Rom's but it shouldn't be problem to do. Only I cant test it in any way as I don't have a IX ecu.
88590715 I would be able to test.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:55 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
After all these posts.....

No ROMs for a IX?

I scrolled through ,but didn't see one. I just wanna make sure I didn't miss something important.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
After all these posts.....

No ROMs for a IX?

I scrolled through ,but didn't see one. I just wanna make sure I didn't miss something important.
Unfortunately still nothing.
Looks like dual map is still the way to go or an aftermarket ecu.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:33 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Evo9_Dubai
Unfortunately still nothing.
Looks like dual map is still the way to go or an aftermarket ecu.
Just checking. I was planning on having my tuner do it, anyway, but just curious for myself. I only know two people that can tune flexfuel and they are keeping it proprietary. It's the one thing that didn't get share with the community, but meh. Business is business until someone gets the info out. I don't mind.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Just checking. I was planning on having my tuner do it, anyway, but just curious for myself. I only know two people that can tune flexfuel and they are keeping it proprietary. It's the one thing that didn't get share with the community, but meh. Business is business until someone gets the info out. I don't mind.
I was fine with paying for the flex fuel tune last year through one of the tuners.

I had set up the flex fuel sensor, wired to the ecu and was able to log through evoscan. When it came to paying for the tune, I was asked to buy the fitronic kit. I did not understand why I had to buy the fitronic kit, if I am able to log E% through the zeitronix ECA, then all that is needed is the actual rom/definition/tune. But the tuner refused, despite me paying for the tune. To this day, I was not tuned or refunded for the tune.

I can't remember the numbers on top of my head, but it was something like $600 for the flex tune, + the fitronic kit. Might as well just go with the aem infinity at that price.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:04 PM
kaj

I was fine with paying for the flex fuel tune last year through one of the tuners.

I had set up the flex fuel sensor, wired to the ecu and was able to log through evoscan. When it came to paying for the tune, I was asked to buy the fitronic kit. I did not understand why I had to buy the fitronic kit, if I am able to log E% through the zeitronix ECA, then all that is needed is the actual rom/definition/tune. But the tuner refused, despite me paying for the tune. To this day, I was not tuned or refunded for the tune.

I can't remember the numbers on top of my head, but it was something like $600 for the flex tune, + the fitronic kit. Might as well just go with the aem infinity at that price.
I know just who you are talking about. He wanted me to pay about $1000 between the hardware and tune. BoostedTuning had me get an AEM gauge/sensor then a standard tune. FAR more reasonable. Which reminds me: I never heard back from him after telling him I was ready to do it.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Definitely do an Infinity. It'll cost you a little more, but you can add quite a few more options.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 03:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
there is a big debate about this right now that fftronic xml is being used by other tuners

any truth to this or tscomptuned just being paranoid?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:07 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Dakota Evo
there is a big debate about this right now that fftronic xml is being used by other tuners

There are two or three tuners that tune flex fuel. Personally, I don't know how similar the ROMs are or aren't nor what permissions are required/have been received/etc.
It kinda reminds me back before tuning software became freeware.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakota Evo

Tom has time to get on the internet and whine about that but somehow doesn't have the time to get back to his own clients.

Also, what he's stating isn't exactly true. And I wouldn't call it a huge debate.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 08:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
We're missing some pieces of information here.

The .XML alone doesn't provide FlexFuel. The .XML just defines the maps and values within the ROM. The ROM is what contains the FlexFuel code.

As I understand it, part of the whole Fitronic deal was that you weren't allowed to tune it yourself. It really wouldn't be difficult for someone savvy to dump a ROM from a Fitronic-equipped car and identify the couple extra maps in the code. They could build an .XML with that data and let the Fitronic owners tune their own cars. That's not really any different from us making .XML definitions for Mitsubishi's factory ROMs.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 08:42 AM
kaj

Either way ,they knew there would be a demand so wanted to develop first and profit. I get it.
with all the people able to decipher coding to provide material as freeware, it was a matter of time. This is a pretty tight community, always willing to share. It's also a matter of time until we can download the patch, like any other. It just takes one person to be willing to post it.
​​​​​​Yeah...figuring that out is similar to figuring out how to Mitsu did things. I guess the diff is: it's less nice to step on Fitronic's toes than Mitsu's.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Either way ,they knew there would be a demand so wanted to develop first and profit. I get it.
with all the people able to decipher coding to provide material as freeware, it was a matter of time. This is a pretty tight community, always willing to share. It's also a matter of time until we can download the patch, like any other. It just takes one person to be willing to post it.
​​​​​​Yeah...figuring that out is similar to figuring out how to Mitsu did things. I guess the diff is: it's less nice to step on Fitronic's toes than Mitsu's.
I think we're talking about different things. I'm not even sure what the full story is, I just got the .XML tidbits above plus the e-mails from the posts that were deleted. Sharing the Fitronic ROM code running the presumably built-from-scratch flexfuel algorithms isn't really cool. Sharing the XML definitions or fuel map addresses so users can tune their own cars - That's what we're all about here, right?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:22 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Construct
I think we're talking about different things. I'm not even sure what the full story is, I just got the .XML tidbits above plus the e-mails from the posts that were deleted. Sharing the Fitronic ROM code running the presumably built-from-scratch flexfuel algorithms isn't really cool. Sharing the XML definitions or fuel map addresses so users can tune their own cars - That's what we're all about here, right?
I suppose one can be more "right" than the other.
FWIW, I just talked to my tuner. I'm told he and English both kick payments down to Fitronic for using their stuff, They just go another route with hardware (AEM). So, I'm not exactly sure what TSComp is complaining about, other than the fact that they are requiring less-expensive equipment so people are using them instead of him.

Quick Reply: FreeFuel ECU patch - a flex fuel implementation to Evo ECU