ECU Flash

FreeFuel ECU patch - a flex fuel implementation to Evo ECU

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The readme file for that software is useless. Here's where I'm at now:

C:\>jdiff081\win32\jptch sd.bin patch.jdf FF.bin
Could not open data file sd.bin for reading.

As you can see, I located the exe in an easy to access location, and even placed the BIN files in the same directory as the exe, since there is absolutely no documentation that I can find which specifies how/where the source file(s) should be placed in relation to the exe, which is always explained in any other exe I've ever used like this. I also renamed the filenames to make them easier to deal with.

Once I get this to work I'll be happy to write a clearer instruction set for this process for future users.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Any specific ROM your working on?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, got it to work! After pulling my hair out for a while I discovered that you have to type out the entire filepath for each component of the instruction set. I'm not sure why the software wasn't designed to look for the filename within its own directory, but I got it to work finally. Also, it wouldn't work with a .bin file from ECUFlash but worked fine with a .hex file. ECUFlash accepted the new patched hex file, the XML is reading it normally, so far so good!

I'll post a more thorough instruction set (if the OP would like me to do so) in the future, once I confirm this is 100% working, but for now, I'll say this:

-copy your latest SD .hex file directly into your C:\ drive, and rename it to something easy such as SDold.hex
-Rename the .jdf file provided on the first page to something easier like patchedFF.jdf
-Copy/paste the jptch.exe (downloaded from JojoDiff link on first page, in the win32 directory of the unzipped folder) and the renamed patchFF.jdf file directly into your C:\ drive. You can remove them once this process is complete.
-Run Command Prompt (Start --> Run --> cmd.exe ...on Windows 7, type cmd.exe into search field of Start Menu) and enter the following into the prompt (change filenames if you did not name them the same as I did above). This will name the new .hex file patchedFF.hex. You can change that below.

C:\>jptch C:\SDold.hex C:\patchedFF.jdf C:\patchedFF.hex
(leave the C:\> out)

-Don't forget to copy/paste the included XML file into your rommetadata/mitsubishi/evo folder.

Last edited by 99EclipseGSX; Jan 8, 2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That still didn't work for me. It says 'jptch' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I followed your directions including the file names. I am using Windows XP.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Your command prompt may not be referencing C:\. Before typing in the instruction set I mentioned above, type C: first and press enter.

Here's what it should look like. Once you hit enter after the second line, there is no confirmation that the process is complete, but your new "patchedFF.hex" file should appear in the same directory (in this case C:\)

EDIT: If you're still having trouble, double check your filenames. I was typing the process up in a bit of a rush (plus had a minor headache from trying to get this to work) and I had one of the filenames wrong. As long as the actual filenames match what you type in the command prompt, it should work.

Last edited by 99EclipseGSX; Jan 8, 2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

I finally got it to work, here is what I had to type

C:\jptch C:\SDold.hex C:\patchedFF.jdf C:\patchedFF.hex

Thanks for the help! I would never have gotten it to work myself.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo8426
I finally got it to work, here is what I had to type

C:\jptch C:\SDold.hex C:\patchedFF.jdf C:\patchedFF.hex

Thanks for the help! I would never have gotten it to work myself.

Great to hear! Hope to test this out soon. I'm waiting to pull the trigger on the components to build my own D-to-A converter until I find out if they work. If I get to anxious, I might just order them anyway and give it a try.

Beau
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:57 PM
ast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not completely happy with jdiff/jptch but I didn't find a better freeware binary patcher. If someone knows one, please let me know. There are reasons why I will not share full ROM and image most important one of them is that it contains Mitsubishi copyrighted code.

I put everything into the same directory and run the command from there, see the attached screenshot. I'm using Windows 7 and jptch version 0.8.1.
Attached Thumbnails FreeFuel ECU patch - a flex fuel implementation to Evo ECU-screen-shot-2013-01-09-1.48.41-am.png  
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evo8426
Fixed, now it would be good

This is exciting to see this actually happening.
wow ! so soon will available for usdm edm evo 9 ??
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VGergo
wow ! so soon will available for usdm edm evo 9 ??
I have no clue I know nothing about it. I changed one of the numbers in your post so it would be for Speed Density
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:23 PM
ast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ideally I would like to have some more experiences from Evo 8 version before porting to Evo 9. It's a lot of work to build a binary and then make a patch and you have to be extremely careful not to screw up. So I would like to avoid having tons of versions to maintain and make bug fixes if they are found.

By the way if you are interested but don't want to buy the sensor just yet or can't get a hold of one (they are on backorder) you can wire in a 1-10k ohm linear potentiometer between 5V and GND and put the middle pin to the Ecu sensor input pin. This way you can simulate the sensor, just don't kill your engine by accidentally going WOT with potentiometer in wrong position.

Actually you could make just a boost adjuster like stand-alone boost controllers with this patch and a potentiometer. Just put in identical fuel, ignition and primer maps for gasoline and ethanol. Have two different boost bdel/bwgdc maps and control your boost with the potentiometer. So there may be uses for the patch beyond a Flex fuel setup
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ast
By the way if you are interested but don't want to buy the sensor just yet or can't get a hold of one (they are on backorder) you can wire in a 1-10k ohm linear potentiometer between 5V and GND and put the middle pin to the Ecu sensor input pin. This way you can simulate the sensor, just don't kill your engine by accidentally going WOT with potentiometer in wrong position.

Actually you could make just a boost adjuster like stand-alone boost controllers with this patch and a potentiometer. Just put in identical fuel, ignition and primer maps for gasoline and ethanol. Have two different boost bdel/bwgdc maps and control your boost with the potentiometer. So there may be uses for the patch beyond a Flex fuel setup
Badass, I can't believe I didn't think about that. Great idea. Also, for now, one could easily flash this patch just for testing and force the various different Ethanol contents depending on what's assumed to be in the tank. But, the linear pot idea is fantastic.

Side note, even though I haven't run the car on this yet, fantastic work, this is brilliant. Also, thank you for making the XML layout very clear and organised with proper table names. Makes things so much easier. This is missing in a lot of other XMLs I've seen and it's a nice touch.

Beau
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Do you happen to know the internal pull-up resistor value on the stock ECU for this input?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

I tested the patch out last night and so far so good. I interpolated my E10 and E85 injector scaling value further out to E0 and E100, entered them in, set "force enable" to force E10 (don't have ADC built for the sensor yet, and car is on straight pump right now) and car run exactly as it did before. Boost, timing were right where they should be. I changed some "lean spool" settings at the same time and it's running a bit leaner that it's supposed to be, but it's not the patch.

I noticed the XML is missing the tephra 2D SD maps, but I just pasted them into your Freefuel XML and all is well.

Last edited by 99EclipseGSX; Jan 11, 2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any chance to transport this for USDM and/or EDM Evo 9 ecu ?

Quick Reply: FreeFuel ECU patch - a flex fuel implementation to Evo ECU