Notices
ECU Flash

Tephra V7 - Weird BoostError/WGDC corr. Boost control only works in 6th gear.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tephra V7 - Weird BoostError/WGDC corr. Boost control only works in 6th gear.

I previously used the stock rom w/ mrfred's ecu psi boost control. Boost error, wgdc corr always logged and worked correctly. I made the switch to tephra v7 a few months back. I copied over my wgdc's into each gear 1-5, left 6 at 0's as I have a 5 speed IX.

WGDC correction has never worked for me since switching to V7. I spent alot of time troubleshooting other issues and finally got around to seeing if it was a logging issue or an issue in the rom. I lowered my target boost to 15psi and kept wgdc the same and I still boosted 21psi. I returned target boost to 21psi and lowered wgdc and I boosted 12-14psi. So obviously the ecu boost control isn't working. I returned values and kept driving because I never overboost more than 1 psi really cause my wgdc were pretty dialed in from previous rom.

Then one day while logging on the freeway I noticed WGDC corr and Boost error were working but a little odd. My TephraGear in log showed 6, when I couldn't be in 6th gear cause I don't have 6th gear. Boost error was exactly +3.1 off, which is the offset in the formula.

I.E.
Boost BoostErr
4.982 1.8294
4.046 0.8654

I've triple checked settings and addresses and everything matches my psi ecu boost control settings from old rom, which boost control always worked in.

I'm really confused as to why this is only working when log says I'm in 6th gear. If anyone has some insight or dealt with this issue help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Changing "target boost" has never done anything for me either, no matter what rom I used. I have always adjusted boost based on the wastegate duty cycle.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would try the following...

1) double check that the v7 MUT table is the same as your old ROM
2) make sure your 'RPM/Speed to Gear' table is correct >>> iv never adjusted mine so not sure how to do it. i think gear 0 is the RPM to reference for each gear and then gear 1-5/6 is the speed you are doing at the gear 0 RPM entered

cheers
Old Oct 1, 2012, 09:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
I couldn't get 8859 to make wgdc corrections either. I gave up on that.

I switched to load based boost control which I hear is actually better for various reasons, and it works. I figured out for sure that it worked when I was seeing my bec table actually oscillate my boost. I would love to hear the answers to your question because I experienced the same thing . Including double and triple checking my adresses
Old Oct 1, 2012, 09:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I used 8859 all the time and boost control works fine (PSI or load based).

OP can you post up your ROM and your EvoScan data setting file.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:42 AM

I edited the RPM/Speed to Gear table and went to log. Two logs 30 minutes apart. One had wgdc correction one did not but both logged BoostError. Also I noticed there is no upward wgdc correction. Wondering if it has something to do with Max Total Upward WGDC Correction vs TPS table. It's still at zeros which was the default and I don't understand the numbers in the left column since they don't go from 0-100 so I haven't edited that table. Unsure why log 1 has wgdc correction and 2 doesn't though. They're 30 min apart with no changes, just went to the store in between.

Also of note I am using alt maps right now cause my main timing map has so low of timing in the low rpm ~100 load area and I felt like I could run alot more timing there so I copied another timing map to try. Alt map has a target psi of 15. But BoostError logged was correlating to the 20psi in main map. I left wgdc the same as my 20psi one for the sake of trying to force wgdc correction.

Happy that editing RPM/Speed to Gear table made it start working but still concerned that it's not working all the time. Also unsure why there isn't upward correction and I don't understand the left column scaling on the Max Total Upward WGDC Correction vs TPS table. Also unsure of why I'm obviously using timing from alt map but BoostError is in relation to main map target psi.

Posting up logs and rom.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Mitsubishi MUTII EFI.txt (54.3 KB, 0 views)
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by barevolved
I edited the RPM/Speed to Gear table and went to log. Two logs 30 minutes apart. One had wgdc correction one did not but both logged BoostError. Also I noticed there is no upward wgdc correction. Wondering if it has something to do with Max Total Upward WGDC Correction vs TPS table. It's still at zeros which was the default and I don't understand the numbers in the left column since they don't go from 0-100 so I haven't edited that table. Unsure why log 1 has wgdc correction and 2 doesn't though. They're 30 min apart with no changes, just went to the store in between.

Also of note I am using alt maps right now cause my main timing map has so low of timing in the low rpm ~100 load area and I felt like I could run alot more timing there so I copied another timing map to try. Alt map has a target psi of 15. But BoostError logged was correlating to the 20psi in main map. I left wgdc the same as my 20psi one for the sake of trying to force wgdc correction.

Happy that editing RPM/Speed to Gear table made it start working but still concerned that it's not working all the time. Also unsure why there isn't upward correction and I don't understand the left column scaling on the Max Total Upward WGDC Correction vs TPS table. Also unsure of why I'm obviously using timing from alt map but BoostError is in relation to main map target psi.

Posting up logs and rom.

Thanks
Your boost error correction looks to be working fine. It worked in log one because the boost went over your desired boost curve, so it pulled WGDC. It didnt work in log two because boost was always under the desired boost curve and your upward correction is zero'd out (recommended).

Editing the RPM/speed table isnt what made it work. Use MRFREDs work sheet to fill this out.

The scaling on the left of the upward correction table is TPS.

Boost error setting are global ie the one set of maps works for both the main map and the alt map.

I dont think you were actually on your alt map, and thats why it followed the reg map.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 01:21 PM

I see what you're saying in regards to it working in log 1 and not log 2. But why don't you think changing the RPM/Speed to Gear table fixed it. I'm pretty sure that's the only change I made and I did use mrfred's old pdf. I'm pretty sure I'm on alt map though. The timing is far advanced in the spool up region then my main map.

Example log 2.
RPM 3250, Load 115, TimingAdv 23

Main Ign Map shows 18 in RPM 3250, Load 100.
Alt Ign Map shows 24 in RPM 3250, Load 100.

But I'll disable my alt map and lower target boost in the main map to confirm.

In regards to Max Total Upward WGDC Correction vs TPS table, why not give it a small number and then set small values in the BEC table for - boost so that it can only adjust wgdc in maybe .5-1% increments with a low cap, maybe 5%?

I understand the left column is TPS but it looks weird and unreadable to me. Anyway to fix this? I tried copying from one cell and pasting somewhere else to read the values but I get 63.5 or 0 everytime. Uploading a pic.

Thanks for looking at the logs Jay, guess I never noticed in log two I wasn't exceeding target boost.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 1, 2012, 01:38 PM

Could it be as easy as to copy the left column from my old rom into this one? Just uneasy making changes I guess when I can't read the cell.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The numbers in the left hand column are just arbitrary numbers, since everything on the right is zero'd out it doesn't matter what they are. If you want to use upward correction you will just put in different throttle positions into the left column and however much correction for each position in the right.

Your rpm/mph table is only used so that the ecu knows which gear you are in, You need to set this up according to which model car you have, but it won't change whether or not your correction is working.

Theres a pdf file where you can find what to set your rpm/mph table too.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...t-control.html

Last edited by 90zcrex; Oct 12, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have you checked both the scaling and address for the TPS in that map?

I wouldnt go canging the values before checking the table is setup correctly first otherwise you might end up canging something else if its referencing the incorrect address.

cheers