Notices
ECU Flash

New EVODROID7 EvoScan Android GPS/Logger/Reflashing CarPC Touchscreen Review

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:15 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by limaynard
Okay, tried to get the Evodroid logging wideband and boost.

I connected up the wideband 0-5v to pin 1 and the GM MAP Sensor to pin 2.
The MAP sensor needs +5v to power it so connected that up to pin 4.
I connected both sensor ground wires to pin 6.

I also connected pin 8 to a switched 12v to get cable turned on and off with ignition.

I checked that sensors were working by using a volt meter and checked that pin 4 was +5v........

Good news, the ignition switched on/off the cable...
Yep Perfect. thats how it should be connected up.. must be something with the evoscan software, I've had it working before, I'll check it out.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 01:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by evoscan
Nope you don't need extra lines in the xml datasettings files for Sensor1 thru 3, and Wideband. I got tired of adding those lines into every xml file so now when you tick them in the DataItem list, they will start logging. I will do some more tests again, and let you know if I find anything I need to fix up.
t
Thanks, so if they are. Automatically in the dataitems list then what value would you use in the gauge design vsv file to display them on a gauge? And where would you define the value. For instance wbo2 for lc-1 should be 3*x+7.25 from memory...
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:00 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
t
Thanks, so if they are. Automatically in the dataitems list then what value would you use in the gauge design vsv file to display them on a gauge? And where would you define the value. For instance wbo2 for lc-1 should be 3*x+7.25 from memory...
In the settings screen I added a Sensor1..3 Formula fields, but they are not visible yet, I will make it visible in the next version. I just set it to "x" for now.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 04:11 AM
Evolving Member

I just got in and checked. In the data items list there is no 'sensor1, sensor2, sensor3'

Doesn't the data items list pull the data items from the xml file?

If so, then the sensors 1-3 would need to be hard coded in somewhere, would it have been much easier to soft code it into the xml

I am keen to get this working so if you could either point out what I am doing wrong or give me a patch for the software that would be great.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can confirm this.

In the Settings: There are no sensor 1,2,3 options

in the Items To Data Log: there are sensors 1 ,2 ,3 options. Scroll down to very bottom.
(External Sensor 1, External Sensor 2, External Sensor 3)

Last edited by johnnnyjeans; Sep 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks, that is very interesting as i do not have them in the items to log list (I have looked over and over again)

Hamish, can you please send me the link to reinstall the software?
Old Sep 18, 2013, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Hi, when building gauges for the evodroid they cannot be transferred from Evoscan. That was my original mistake...

The Evodroid relies on having two main files:-

1. an image file *.png that represents the gauge layout. As this is a simple image, you can make the gauges as nice looking as you like. It needs to be 800x400 to fit the screen. I created an image in Evoscan and then screen dumped it to a png file.

2. a txt file *.txt in CSV format that defines the gauge needle, its x,y coordinates, sweep angle, start position, etc. etc.

The txt file needs to be renamed to carbon1.txt as this appears to be hard coded into the Evodroid software. The txt file needs to reference the png.

You can use the gauge designer for windows CE that Hamish posted earlier but it puts the needles slightly off.. This software deines the parameters so it is useful from this perspective.

When I get time I will post up the parameters etc. and my sample files. Next step is to get the Evodroid to switch between multiple gauges. It shouldn't be too hard but I haven't had time to look at it in detail.
To use PPCGauge Deigner...

Put the PPCGaugeDesigner.exe on the Evodroid in the evoscan directory.

Connect to your PC/Laptop and set the Evodroid as a USB storage (click bottom right battery icon, click USB connected item and click 'turn on USB Storage)

Browse to evoscan directory on Evodroid from windows.

click on PPCGauge Designer and have a play...

As I said, the pointers are slightly out but you can manually edit the txt file once the hard work is done.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

I just got in and checked. In the data items list there is no 'sensor1, sensor2, sensor3'

Doesn't the data items list pull the data items from the xml file?

If so, then the sensors 1-3 would need to be hard coded in somewhere, would it have been much easier to soft code it into the xml

I am keen to get this working so if you could either point out what I am doing wrong or give me a patch for the software that would be great.

So it seems it is just my software that was buggered.. Once I get the sensors logging how do I get them to display on a gauge? what is the log reference to use? ExtSensor1 etc. etc.??
Old Sep 19, 2013, 01:14 AM
Evolving Member

Okay, finally got the external sensors working.

My software did not have the external sensors 1-3 listed in the data logging list (old version??) but all fixed now and they appear on the list :-)

The sensors need to be wired up as per previous instructions.
The Evodroid will then log them.

In the gauge designer or in the txt file, add the logging item to be ExternalSensor1 or ExternalSensor2 or ExternalSensor3 (depending on what pin you are using.

The data will log 0-5v but that's no problem as when you create you gauges you can set minimum value and maximum value and your png background can show whatever you like. as a scale...

For instance, GM 3 bar MAP sensor is boost in PSI= (((voltage+0.01712)/1.5905)*14.503)-14.5 so if your gauge shows -15 to 30 psi then set minimum at -0.07161 and maximum at 4.861855 and the gauge will read correctly.

I am still having problems calibrating the wideband as it shows very lean but that is probably just a calibration problem..

Last edited by limaynard; Sep 19, 2013 at 01:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 19, 2013, 02:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, finally got the external sensors working.

My software did not have the external sensors 1-3 listed in the data logging list (old version??) but all fixed now and they appear on the list :-)

The sensors need to be wired up as per previous instructions.
The Evodroid will then log them.

In the gauge designer or in the txt file, add the logging item to be ExternalSensor1 or ExternalSensor2 or ExternalSensor3 (depending on what pin you are using.

The data will log 0-5v but that's no problem as when you create you gauges you can set minimum value and maximum value and your png background can show whatever you like. as a scale...

For instance, GM 3 bar MAP sensor is boost in PSI= (((voltage+0.01712)/1.5905)*14.503)-14.5 so if your gauge shows -15 to 30 psi then set minimum at -0.07161 and maximum at 4.861855 and the gauge will read correctly.

I am still having problems calibrating the wideband as it shows very lean but that is probably just a calibration problem..
My software doesn't have the external sensors either. Did you get an update from Hamish?

With gauge designer you can put in a formula to scale the input, as you mentioned, but there doesn't seem to be anyway to put a formula in for the log file??
In Evoscan and the old PPC you could adjust the formula for any log input and before it got to the gauges.

Slowly things are getting sorted - this will be a great tool one day.

I do find the tablet very hard to read in bright daylight though.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 02:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Gavin Spratling
My software doesn't have the external sensors either. Did you get an update from Hamish?

With gauge designer you can put in a formula to scale the input, as you mentioned, but there doesn't seem to be anyway to put a formula in for the log file??
In Evoscan and the old PPC you could adjust the formula for any log input and before it got to the gauges.

Slowly things are getting sorted - this will be a great tool one day.

I do find the tablet very hard to read in bright daylight though.
I suspect the first batches didn't have the external sensors. Hamish can you provide the Apk file for those of us that need it?
Old Sep 19, 2013, 02:55 AM

It was the first batch, I'll email him.

Thanks.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Send me an APK too Hamish. I'll pay for it.

What is the latest on the release of that? I want to start messing around with my Nexus 7 and Evoscan.

Eric
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

I had an email convo with him a few days ago and he said thats still a ways off...he is still trying to wrap up all the evodroid hardware.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

The next project, designing a set of gauges.

I currently have one that I have designed for my own purposes but I haven't yet worked on having multiple layouts to switch between.

First cab off the rank is GTR gauges with the abilitiy to switch from the default layout by pressing one of the buttons along the bottom.

I will add my gauge as well, giving three possible layouts. I fanyone else wants a specific gauge layout (I will do another couple) then let me know but it will be 'first in, best dressed' as we say down here...

Quick Reply: New EVODROID7 EvoScan Android GPS/Logger/Reflashing CarPC Touchscreen Review