Notices
ECU Flash

Flashing an Airtrek Turbo

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2013, 01:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by merlin.oz
boost limit is a fuel-cut (load limit) function along with rpm and speed limit and so I put them all in the fuel-cut section.
Yep, I got that
Old May 1, 2013, 04:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As this topic seems to go about modding the airtrek in general, I have some questions:

1: do EVO injectors physically drop in? I have a set of EVO 750cc RC's including the resistor box, but read somewhere that the rail needs to be modded? if they drop in, I will go look for some clips/connectors.

2: A friend upgraded his EVO7 exhaust. Is the piping diameter bigger than stock Airtrek? Might pick it up as Im also doing the EVO8 turbo swap.

3: I have stock EVO9 IC and piping ready. Would it be better to fab up a bigger diameter lower IC piping as I read up, its a restriction on stock EVO8/9.

4: I have a SMC alky kit ready. I dont have access to non freezing windshield washer, im in a tropical country. We do however have over the counter 90% alcohol content rum here thats cheap. Would this work? (sugar clogging!!??)

5: Read somewhere that valvesprings are less stiff than EVO's. Im planning on swapping in EVO8MR cams. Would these require EVO or better valve springs? OEM Rev limit will be retained.

And very off topic: Greg, abovementioned JDM EVO7 friend wants to try Speed Density. Do you have an XML/maps? Hes willing to donate/pay.

LMK guys and TIA!
Old May 1, 2013, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1: Evo Injectors do not drop in, physically longer than Airtrek. If buying aftermarket, Subaru ones actually fit, hence STI Pink Injectors fitting.
2:No idea
3: Aftermarket will flow alot better
4: No idea
5: They should be fine with those cams.

For an Evo 7, use Tephra, do a search here and you'll find all the info you need.
Old May 1, 2013, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mervin
As this topic seems to go about modding the airtrek in general, I have some questions:

1: do EVO injectors physically drop in? I have a set of EVO 750cc RC's including the resistor box, but read somewhere that the rail needs to be modded? if they drop in, I will go look for some clips/connectors.

2: A friend upgraded his EVO7 exhaust. Is the piping diameter bigger than stock Airtrek? Might pick it up as Im also doing the EVO8 turbo swap.

3: I have stock EVO9 IC and piping ready. Would it be better to fab up a bigger diameter lower IC piping as I read up, its a restriction on stock EVO8/9.

4: I have a SMC alky kit ready. I dont have access to non freezing windshield washer, im in a tropical country. We do however have over the counter 90% alcohol content rum here thats cheap. Would this work? (sugar clogging!!??)

5: Read somewhere that valvesprings are less stiff than EVO's. Im planning on swapping in EVO8MR cams. Would these require EVO or better valve springs? OEM Rev limit will be retained.

And very off topic: Greg, abovementioned JDM EVO7 friend wants to try Speed Density. Do you have an XML/maps? Hes willing to donate/pay.

LMK guys and TIA!

The Evo injectors are high impedence so would need a resistor pack. As Greg said, most of us have gone with STI pinks (although mine are not yet fittted)

The stock piping is bigger on Evo VII but what part are you planning to try to fit? Maybe only the front pipe will fit without mods but the centre pipe and the back box are different.

Using rum is interesting :-) I wouldn't try it as I am sure it would clog the injector on the Alky kit and would like not help the intake and cylinders...

Valvel springs will be okay. I am using the Tomei Poncam cams that don't need a valve spring upgrade and they are after market for Evos so stock should be fine..
Old May 1, 2013, 07:39 PM

Thx for the response guys! I have my eye on a set of sard 850 which are supposed to be STi drop in's....
Exhaust: might either go with the oem evo7 and mix/match fab the rear end, or go with an off name ebay kit.
Old May 1, 2013, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mervin
Thx for the response guys! I have my eye on a set of sard 850 which are supposed to be STi drop in's....
Exhaust: might either go with the oem evo7 and mix/match fab the rear end, or go with an off name ebay kit.

No poblem, I have a custom fabricated stainless steel front pipe, metal substrate cat, centre pipe with resonator made in 2.5"

The back section is the Apexi Evolution N1
Old May 2, 2013, 03:36 AM

Limanyard what is your cam profile for the tomei cams? 270/270? Also, how did you manage to keep all the valves and springs stock? I've always been told we need to change them. ALso, how much were they?
Old May 2, 2013, 04:55 AM
Evolving Member

Tomei Poncams 260/260 about $500. They are quite mild.

You can get them off ebay sellers.

Lawrence
Old May 19, 2013, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

I have just removed the Apexi power intake, too many noises for my liking. I prefer not hearing air being sucked in, bpv opening and closing and wastegate chatter...

The stock box is so much nicer. I must be getting old :-)
Old May 20, 2013, 03:32 AM

Haha most probably. Cheers for the link to the amayama Evo 9 BOV. I got quoted $310 for the same item in NZ and paid $190 online for it. Awesome deal. (hopefully its new as far as I read it said it was a brand new part).
Old May 20, 2013, 03:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by carnetics
Haha most probably. Cheers for the link to the amayama Evo 9 BOV. I got quoted $310 for the same item in NZ and paid $190 online for it. Awesome deal. (hopefully its new as far as I read it said it was a brand new part).
Amayama is all brand new original. I buy loads of bits from there: Broken trim, gaskets, everything and anything.

www.epc-data.com allows you to find the part and then order directly from Amayama....
Old May 26, 2013, 03:33 AM
VVV

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by limaynard
The Evo injectors are high impedence so would need a resistor pack.
They are LOW impedance, actually :-)
Old May 26, 2013, 03:42 AM
VVV

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by carnetics
I spoke to a gearbox guy. He said the gearsets in the trek are prone to failure. Rebuilds are expensive (quoted 3k-4k). So makes more sense in the long run in terms of wear and tear.
All Airtreks prior to mid-2005 are prone to planetary gear failure. This happens no matter how carefully you drive. I've finished a rebuild of my Airtrek's AT a few months ago so I know this little monster well from the inside :-)
Attached a pic to illustrate what's happening. The pins just start falling out and the whole gear assembly falls apart, causing QUITE some damage. You need to take out the planetary carriers and weld the pins to the casing. Most do it with a laser or an argon-arc welder.
MMC later upgraded the carrier assemblies which can be ordered via new part numbers.
Attached Thumbnails Flashing an Airtrek Turbo-planetary.jpg  
Old May 26, 2013, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by VVV
They are LOW impedance, actually :-)

You are right, slip of the finger

This is why they need resistors...
Old May 26, 2013, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by VVV
All Airtreks prior to mid-2005 are prone to planetary gear failure. This happens no matter how carefully you drive. I've finished a rebuild of my Airtrek's AT a few months ago so I know this little monster well from the inside :-)
Attached a pic to illustrate what's happening. The pins just start falling out and the whole gear assembly falls apart, causing QUITE some damage. You need to take out the planetary carriers and weld the pins to the casing. Most do it with a laser or an argon-arc welder.
MMC later upgraded the carrier assemblies which can be ordered via new part numbers.
Interesting. My 2002 has had no problems (yet) after 130,000 kms.

You say that later parts are a straight swap?

Quick Reply: Flashing an Airtrek Turbo