Notices
ECU Flash

Evo 8 with v7 No Start After Scaling Injectors

Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Evo 8 with v7 No Start After Scaling Injectors

I'm about to go insane, it seems like I'm missing something simple or the ECU is trying to play games with me...

Car has been running fine for over a month with v7 tephra mods and stock injectors. Haven't touched scaling until installing the injectors, just smoothed the maf & target af/ignition values, boost control. Installed 1200cc injectors last night, scaled them to 1200 and added proper dead time, and the car will not fire.

However, if I change the map back to the stock injector scaling, it will *sometimes* start, at will/random, but flood out with the 1200s installed of course.

Things I have checked/verified:
  • All injectors plugged in, resitor box plugged in
  • Tested injectors to 3 ohms resistance
  • 12v tap shows the injectors are functional
  • Verified proper immobilizer code, them attempted disabling immobilizer
  • Tried different scaling values & dead times ranging from stock to appropriate for injector size
  • Verified fuel pump is functional & pressure is present at the rail

This happened once prior while attempting to install a buddy's set of 1200cc injectors, which we assumed to be defective (they failed the 12v tap test). When we reinstalled the stock injectors and reverted back to previous known good map, it started like nothing was wrong. When trying to revert back to the previous known good map now, it sometimes starts, sometimes doesn't (tried reverting back multiple times).

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated, I'm about to throw the ECU in the garbage and try the AEM EMS.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
If you set your injector scaling to 1200cc for injectors that are rated at 1200cc, it's too high. The scaling you enter in ecuflash should be ~15% lower than the rated flow of the injectors. So you should be entering a scaling around 1020 to start with, which you will fine-tune after checking fuel trims.

The only tables that should be changed initially with new injectors are the injector scaling and injector latency.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:23 PM

Originally, scaling and latency were the only changes made to the rom. I've tried several different scalings, ranging from 700-1200, but the only scaling that made the car start was the stock scaling of 513.

I've also played with the dead time (the dead time specs for these injectors was abnormally high on the manufacturer supplied paper, as high as 1.62ms at 14v), I've tried values from stock to triple the stock dead time, and the specified value by the manufacturer as well.

I will try 1020 when I get back to the shop and post my results. I'm also going to pick up a noid light to test for injector pulse.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What injectors do you have? Post up the brand and the settings you are currently attempting to use.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 07:25 PM

Was able to get the car started tonight - I'm not sure what I did, but I went to the shop, turned the key, and it fired up. Doesn't run well on almost any setting.

I think the problem may be related to these cheapo injectors I'm trying out...they are Smartfire 1200cc injectors off of fleabay. Super inconsistent, it is not possible to get the car to idle stable with a variety of different settings and latencies.

The injector spec sheet calls for 1.6ms latency @ 14volts...almost double of what I have used for pte 1250s in my old Dsm. Has anyone ever seen a need for latency values this high?

Besides idle and light throttle they seem ok. But I am running pump 93, which wasn't an issue tuning on the Dsm, perhaps these cheap injectors aren't steady at low pulse width?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by daveheit
Was able to get the car started tonight - I'm not sure what I did, but I went to the shop, turned the key, and it fired up. Doesn't run well on almost any setting.

I think the problem may be related to these cheapo injectors I'm trying out...they are Smartfire 1200cc injectors off of fleabay. Super inconsistent, it is not possible to get the car to idle stable with a variety of different settings and latencies.

The injector spec sheet calls for 1.6ms latency @ 14volts...almost double of what I have used for pte 1250s in my old Dsm. Has anyone ever seen a need for latency values this high?

Besides idle and light throttle they seem ok. But I am running pump 93, which wasn't an issue tuning on the Dsm, perhaps these cheap injectors aren't steady at low pulse width?
What you did to solution this problem? i have the same problem like you
Old Jul 19, 2016, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by leo_4g63
What you did to solution this problem? i have the same problem like you
Try scaling your injectors properly. There's a mega merge of injectors on this board. Look up Injector Supermerge and you'll see it.

If that still doesn't work, look into what changed on your rom between flashes.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by MercenaryX2
Try scaling your injectors properly. There's a mega merge of injectors on this board. Look up Injector Supermerge and you'll see it.

If that still doesn't work, look into what changed on your rom between flashes.
I tried numerous settings
trying to make the car take it in stride turns on immediately and works perfectly, however when off will not turn over again and just giving stride again
Old Jul 21, 2016, 01:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Can you give me these values? For your PTE's? I know this post doesn't help you much, but I have been on the hunt for size scaling and latencies for those PTE's. I am having issues with listed size/latencies on here. THought I might try another listing.

Thanks in advance.