Notices
ECU Flash

Anyone move the IAT but still use MAF?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone move the IAT but still use MAF?

Ive been trying to search around but can't find any answers. Im curious if any of the ecu gurus can chime in on this. I just finished building an evo 9 for a customer and he is running MAF. I have always run AEM on speed density on the evo 8's ive owned. I know the importance of knowing the true intake temps coming across the intercooler but also would like to keep the stock MAF for this customer. Im haven't spent much time with SD on the stock ecu's either.

Which leads me to my question. Has anyone continued to run the stock ecu with MAF, but moved the temp sensor into the upper I/C? Something tells me it can be done, but would rather not have the ecu go nuts because the temp readings are far from what the ecu thinks it should be. I've tuned probably a dozen stock ecu cars and just use knock as my point of backing off but sometimes in my mind that isnt good enough. If this is an easy swap that has been done, I'd like to do it on more of my stock MAF builds.

Thanks for the input!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd guess you shouldn't do this as the Baro, IAT and Karmann sensors all work together in the MAF to provide an accurate reading. Karmann frequency is a function of the speed of sound between the transducers which is why the Baro and IAT are important for the math.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to know! That was really my only doubt. If the sensor was on its own, I didnt see it being a large problem. Only if it worked in conjunction with another sensor in some way. Thank you!
Old May 21, 2013, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The question that this leads to asking however is if one can add an IAT sensor, using the fuel temp lines, to retard timing based on post IC temps. This I've not been able to find an answer to. Not sure if there's a provision in Tephra for it, or if all the work has only been done for SD.