Notices
ECU Flash

How to Eliminate "Rev-Hang" on the 05+ EVO 8/9s

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by el.guerrero
i do this on my 88580714 rom. hang still there.. i notice my afr stay at 13/13.5 during throttle release and brake engine moment..

Anyone?
Email me your ROM and Ill check it out. Email in sig.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks a lot sir.

Sent!
Old Jun 20, 2013, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boosted , I would appreciate if you could share how you fixed that, I will be looking at that rev hang soon...

Thanks
Old Jun 20, 2013, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This may be a too obvious comment, but just want to make sure folks remember before they get too complex into tables.....Always check for boost leaks periodically. I forgot who got all on me a few years ago about it, maybe it was Boosted, not sure, but boost leaks exist more than you think. I did have a few, and over time you will get them again. Its sometimes amazing how many little ones you get.

The point is when you do have little ones, you will have momentary lean conditions when you off throttle rapidly, because the vacuum will suck in lots of air not calculated by the maf. Unless you are really solid on your logs to see it happening via AFR you may just feel it as rev hang. The lean condition will give you that acceleration because that brief moment you have more vacuum than normal. This makes little boost leaks have this behavior. I had this scenario, and when I resolved some of those newer leaks I had (pinhole in IC pipe), I resolved the really nasty ref hang.

Another clue is if the rev hang seems to get slightly worse slowly over time.

Checking for books leaks should be a regular maintenance tasks. With a 30 dollar tester its super easy too. Its worth checking or confirming so you aren't chasing a fundamental mechanical issue with modifications to the tables.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
is there a reason the hang exists in the first place? i.e., designed that way on purpose?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
is there a reason the hang exists in the first place? i.e., designed that way on purpose?
To a certain degree the information I have read does indicate its intentionally, but only slightly. Once you start changing airflow, modifications, then you also change its behavior. When you have it real bad, you will know, as its clearly not safe for the engine. I had it bad enough at one point that the car could stay at 7k in neutral on track. I still have it a little under certain conditions, but it was due to boost leaks sucking in air under vacuum. Leaks were small enough that regular vacuum didn't cause much of a logable issue.

Mentioned earlier in this thread and in several others is the benefit to keeping revs slightly up during shifts, but stock its subtle.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
Its there for emissions purposes, from what I've read.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by fireroasted
To a certain degree the information I have read does indicate its intentionally, but only slightly. Once you start changing airflow, modifications, then you also change its behavior. When you have it real bad, you will know, as its clearly not safe for the engine. I had it bad enough at one point that the car could stay at 7k in neutral on track. I still have it a little under certain conditions, but it was due to boost leaks sucking in air under vacuum. Leaks were small enough that regular vacuum didn't cause much of a logable issue.

Mentioned earlier in this thread and in several others is the benefit to keeping revs slightly up during shifts, but stock its subtle.
Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
Its there for emissions purposes, from what I've read.
interesting, good to know. maybe keeps the spool going up top? it's pretty damn annoying for regular driving
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Subscribe!!!
Old Jun 20, 2013, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

In
Old Jul 17, 2013, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for this. Rev hang is the very annoying. Really hoping this fixes it on my car. Two questions.

Question 1 - Updated the definitions (ROM 88590015). Opened ECUFlash and when I click on any of the new tables, I can only see the left column. Any idea how to see the right column so I can change the values? Sorry if noob question. Looks like this when I click on a table. Can't figure out how to expand the window.

Question 2 - For Step 1, are we supposed to change all 4 tables as you pictured, or just 2 tables? The wording is kinda confusing.

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
STEP 1 - Change the "Decel Fuel Cut Delay" tables (aka "ISCV Demand TPS Adder, AC off (FFFF6E84) (mattjin fuel cut delay)" & "ISCV Demand TPS Adder, AC on (FFFF6E84) (mattjin fuel cut delay)"). Use the values show below:

NOTE: When using the "ISCV Demand TPS Adder, AC off (FFFF6E84) (mattjin fuel cut delay)" & "ISCV Demand TPS Adder, AC on (FFFF6E84) (mattjin fuel cut delay)" tables, the values will be totally different:
So are we supposed to change Decel Fuel Cut Delay #1 & Decel Fuel Cut Delay #2, AND ISCV Demand TPS Adder, AC off (FFFF6E84) (mattjin fuel cut delay) & ISCV Demand TPS Adder, AC on (FFFF6E84) (mattjin fuel cut delay)? Or just change one of the pairs?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Blitz, in regard to your question #1: Looks like there's a problem with the table definition. Double-check that there aren't any mistakes in the xml file.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Add this to the Idle Control section of your xml.
The tables simulate the old throttle dash-pot device which slows throttle closing.
Its there to make decel smoother but Mitsu make it a bit to soft and you get rev hang.

<scaling name="ISCVSteps8" units="Steps" toexpr="x" frexpr="x" format="%.0f" min="0" max="255" inc="1" storagetype="uint8" endian="big"/>
<scaling name="ISCVSteps16" units="Steps" toexpr="x" frexpr="x" format="%.0f" min="0" max="255" inc="1" storagetype="uint16" endian="big"/>
<scaling name="Throttle%16" units="TPS %" toexpr="x*100/255" frexpr="x*255/100" format="%.1f" min="0" max="100" inc="0.392" storagetype="uint16" endian="big"/>

<table name="ISCV Dashpot Throttle Adder, AC OFF" category="Idle Control" address="3d6e" type="2D" scaling="ISCVSteps8">
<table name="THROTTLE" address="6f9a" type="Y Axis" elements="7" scaling="Throttle%16"/>
</table>

<table name="ISCV Dashpot Throttle Adder, AC ON" category="Idle Control" address="3d82" type="2D" scaling="ISCVSteps8">
<table name="THROTTLE" address="6f9a" type="Y Axis" elements="7" scaling="Throttle%16"/>
</table>
Old Jul 17, 2013, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Raptord
Blitz, in regard to your question #1: Looks like there's a problem with the table definition. Double-check that there aren't any mistakes in the xml file.
Thanks but I copied/pasted them exactly from the Boosted's post. Didn't miss any signs or anything. All of my other tables display just fine.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

I'm having this same problem but my car is stock with stock tune. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: How to Eliminate "Rev-Hang" on the 05+ EVO 8/9s