Notices
ECU Flash

Can someone verify that this log looks okay?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2013, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Can someone verify that this log looks okay?

This log is from my mostly stock VIII.

9.8 turbo
9 DV
balance shaft elim
crank scraper
MBC at 18ish
Walbro
Apexi drop-in
ACL bearings
ARP head studs

I'd like to start messing with my timing but want to make sure I don't need to tackle any problems, first. I feel like I'm spooling slowly. I've done a leak test and didn't find anything. Motor has less than 1500 miles on it. I can't find any good examples of stock-ish logs.

Can someone verify that this log looks okay?-sgq4rvw.jpg
Old May 30, 2013, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
That doesnt tell us anything other than load which is sort of an arbitrary number and RPM.

Log your car using EvoScan showing RPM, timing, knocksum, TPS, boost, and AFR's
Old May 30, 2013, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

That's an EvoScan graph. TPS is 100%, I can't log AFR or boost, yet. Working on it.

This is working from a mostly stock Tephra V7 map. Just a tiny bit of smoothing done.

Knowing when a VIII is supposed to reach full boost isn't arbitrary, is it? 18-19 is probably right at stock boost.

Also, when I bought the turbo, it didn't have a wastegate on it. When I set the tension, I believe I set it 1 turn past sliding on the arm easily. From what I'm seeing, that's not enough pre-load.

Last edited by aggieEVO; May 30, 2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The graph is next to useless because all we see is your load curve. We need to see knocksum. Just upload the log itself instead of a screenshot of the graph.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Well sure load and boost are sort of synonymous. But for example if you have a boost leak your load will be higher. Make sense?

If you're looking to tune your car then you really need to get yourself a wideband to log AFR's. A boost gauge or better yet a JDM map sensor to log boost would be a nice thing to have.

If you're not gunna mess with upping the boost or touch fueling than you can get away without them but you minds well.

As for tweaking the timing, make sure to keep an eye out for knock.

There are some good tutorials on here that you should go through which I am sure you probably already have. I'm not a tuner but have learned a little through the years. Luckily for me I have a good buddy who dials in my car. Good luck!
Old May 30, 2013, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Will do. I only had one count of knock.

Originally Posted by Raptord
The graph is next to useless because all we see is your load curve. We need to see knocksum. Just upload the log itself instead of a screenshot of the graph.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
530log3.zip (2.6 KB, 0 views)
Old May 30, 2013, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

I have a boost gauge.

JDM map sensor and wideband are next on my list. I was doing this logging to check for knock and wasn't happy with the results. I feel like the boost should come on a lot quicker.

I should have a wideband and new MAP sensor in June or early July.

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Well sure load and boost are sort of synonymous. But for example if you have a boost leak your load will be higher. Make sense?

If you're looking to tune your car then you really need to get yourself a wideband to log AFR's. A boost gauge or better yet a JDM map sensor to log boost would be a nice thing to have.

If you're not gunna mess with upping the boost or touch fueling than you can get away without them but you minds well.

As for tweaking the timing, make sure to keep an eye out for knock.

There are some good tutorials on here that you should go through which I am sure you probably already have. I'm not a tuner but have learned a little through the years. Luckily for me I have a good buddy who dials in my car. Good luck!
Old May 30, 2013, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did you start this run from 1900rpm or less ? you should alway start <2000rpm or it will mess up the spool up part
if you did and you only get 18psi around 4200rpm, that's not very good but on a stock map who knows
on my 9 stock...except an avc-r...I set up and had 18psi around 3000rpm in 4th to give you an idea, but mivec even on stock settings helps so much can't tell you if you loose 1000rpm in spool on 8s, doubt it that would be a huge difference

Last edited by Kakihara; May 30, 2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

I've done several pulls from around 2k. Results are the same.

Just adjusted my flapper 2 full turns.

Feels quicker, but that could just be mental. I'll log it to see how it looks. Boost is up, though. I was hitting 20 psi just from turning the arm 2 rotations.

Last edited by aggieEVO; May 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old May 30, 2013, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Any thoughts on the log?

I really feel like I'm spooling about 1000rpm late. Maybe I need to do a more thorough boost leak test.

Last edited by aggieEVO; May 30, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

New log done this morning. I cleaned up the areas and have highlighted my RPM intervals for Ecuflash. I don't want to make any major changes until I get my Omni (within the next week) and make sure my boost levels are oka (can't really trust a gauge).
Attached Files
Old Jul 5, 2013, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

BTW, this log was made after 4 big boost leaks were fixed (since the initial log). Load is much higher at lower RPMs, now.

I'd love some advice on where to start manipulating my timing. I know I should start low at peak load, but I'm having a hard time determining where that is