Notices
ECU Flash

Setting up for Self Tuning.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Setting up for Self Tuning.

Hi, I've been researching my eyes out for the past week or so on tuning and everything to it. There's a whole lot of concepts to comprehend at the same time but the sticky's on this forum make it somewhat easier to do/take in. I have already acquired EvoScan, EcuFlash & a virtual dyno in order to set myself up to be able to log before I mess with anything (still waiting on a Tactrix cable).

I have been reading on how everything should be set up and remembered my WB is installed just past the test and that when JestR tuned it originally at KINGS PERFORMANCE the gauge was reading different than his WB. How would I go about making sure I'm getting the proper reading w/o moving the WB pre-test pipe, or is that the only route? This thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...d-problem.html said something about making adjustments via EcuFlash?

Also I read which pin to plug the blue output wire into on the IX ecu from here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...u-logging.html, could I just splice it in without having to cut the OEM harness?

Thanks for all the help in advanced, sorry for all the questions this is the first time I've actually been interested in self tuning and not having to fork over $3-500 every time I need a new tune..
Old Jun 25, 2013, 08:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
Its good to read and research as much as possible. I think I watched the "how to tune an evo" video like 3 times. I had access to a dyno and was able to get my car dialed in . It still took some street tuning but its pretty close now and I'm comfortable making changes.
As far as logging your WB, just buy the AEM uego to serial adapter. The stock rear 02 is a narrow band connection and in my case wasn't the least bit accurate.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 04:30 AM
Evolving Member

Yea I've been reading the "How to tune an Evo" thread and the EcuFlash vids non stop. You're lucky, having access to an actual dyno. Street tuning is what I'll have to settle with.
The gauge is some what accurate if I remember correctly its only ~0.5 off or something like that when it was getting tuned on the dyno. Both the blue and white wire are just sitting behind the radio so I figured id just run it to the ECU so I can log straight from that.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 01:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems like you're going in the right direction.

I don't like to log WB through the ECU personally, but some customers I've tuned use it and it works great.

One customer brought his IX to my house and we road tuned. He had a connector from SpoolinUp to connect his AEM WB to the laptop. We just had to use a serial to usb adapter. I like that method personally.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks! Any help/tips are greatly appreciated! I think my setup runs pretty damn good right now and I'm trying to see how good I can do with a stock turbo/block/head. So close to the 11's and E85 will definitely put me there along with some porting of the stock intake & throttle body.

Does logging straight from the WB change anything (logging wise)? I would just rather save $30 from the serial cable & just route to the ECU myself and have a simpler product w/ less wires I have to plug to log.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 04:34 AM
Evolving Member

Bump for some courtesy help
Old Jun 28, 2013, 09:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jspecteggy
Does logging straight from the WB change anything (logging wise)? I would just rather save $30 from the serial cable & just route to the ECU myself and have a simpler product w/ less wires I have to plug to log.
Honestly I don't know. I think it may be similar. Regardless, it may not matter that much. I've tune both without any problems. $30 is cheap compared to a new or used ecu. But a lot of people do go the ecu route and I haven't heard of any problems. I think I've read one person put it in the wrong pin, but later put it in the right one without any ill effects.

It does make for a cleaner look.

What else do you need?
Old Jun 30, 2013, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Yea I've decided to just route it to the ECU..I'm dying for a tactrix cable and an E85 base map is really all I have left to acquire.