Notices
ECU Flash

Something wrong with my EVO 8 FQ340?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Something wrong with my EVO 8 FQ340?

Hi,

I'm new in this forum and also with EVO's. I just got stock EVO8 FQ340. It has seen road about 120k miles.

Sometimes it feels, that motor/turbo is not responding like it should. Can it be something related to heat? I think it happens when its hotter than normal and I have driven harder than normal...

I have Evoscan software and cable and I'm wondering if someone could help me with this? I have logged few times but these numbers dont tell me much. Is there someone who could check my log/flash files that is there something wrong with my car?

I have planned to make it work with E85, but this is something I want to check before I start making upgrades. I want to make sure that the engine is working like it should.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:08 AM
Account Disabled

A little more information would be helpful honestly. When you say not responding like it should, what does that mean exactly? Turbo not spooling fast enough, hesitation in throttle response, what? Let us know and we can help you better.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1st i would suggest using evoscan 2.8 rather than the 2.9 it just works better the 2.9 has a lot of small problems that make it harder to use for beginners

log : tps,rpm,timing advance,knocksum,airflowHz,battery,load calculated
make a log like this : start logging, slow down to under 2000rpm then full throttle till 7500rpm in 3rd or 4th if you manage to find a long enough and straight enough road
if you do it on a flat road you can even load it in virtual dyno and have an idea of where your car is, 1.1 correction kinda correspond to european BHP dynos, torque will be a bit lower but you can already see if your car has enough power or not, when you have peak torque etc...

- load rpm throttle give an idea of where you are in the map when something happens or not
- knocksum if you have knock, if you do power will go down and the car feels like it's slowing down
- airflow shows how smoothly the turbo spools and how your boost control works (you may see a flat or wild changes if it's not optimal)

Last edited by Kakihara; Jun 28, 2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Kakihara
1st i would suggest using evoscan 2.8 rather than the 2.9 it just works better the 2.9 has a lot of small problems that make it harder to use for beginners

log : tps,rpm,timing advance,knocksum,airflowHz,battery,load calculated
make a log like this : start logging, slow down to under 2000rpm then full throttle till 7500rpm in 3rd or 4th if you manage to find a long enough and straight enough road
if you do it on a flat road you can even load it in virtual dyno and have an idea of where your car is, 1.1 correction kinda correspond to european BHP dynos, torque will be a bit lower but you can already see if your car has enough power or not, when you have peak torque etc...

- load rpm throttle give an idea of where you are in the map when something happens or not
- knocksum if you have knock, if you do power will go down and the car feels like it's slowing down
- airflow shows how smoothly the turbo spools and how your boost control works (you may see a flat or wild changes if it's not optimal)
Thanks for advice! I make log with 2.8 as you mentioned and will upload it to here.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Evowith750awhp
A little more information would be helpful honestly. When you say not responding like it should, what does that mean exactly? Turbo not spooling fast enough, hesitation in throttle response, what? Let us know and we can help you better.
Those moments the car feels more like naturally aspirated rather than turbo engine. This has happened few times and I have no idea what is going on. Like I try to speed up with 2gear, but it feels the same under and above 4000rpm. Normally it spools quite nicely.