ECU Flash

Speed density bug

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Speed density odd issue

Here is what happen:

I'm cruising full time open loop. Car is tuned for about 15.5 AFR.
All goes normal 99% of the time and suddenly car starts to run really rich. It cruises rich and it idles pig rich (low 10s). WOT isn't any richer. I go to WOT a few time and the issue disappears.
The more and more the car runs richer. IT was 1% of the time at beginning but now it's more 50% of the time. What an odd issue.

Theories for testing:
  1. Stuck open BOV,Boost leak
  2. Fuel pressure raise (bad FPR)
  3. bad wideband O2 sensor
  4. Injector leaking into combustion chamber
  5. Fuel temperature variation, has to convert to GM MAT

Update: Tonight I opened the synapse BOV. Altough it looked like new and not dry at all, I still applied synthetic grease and retried the car. Same issue.
Update: no boost leak. I will wait the new wideband o2 sensor before messsing with fuel rail pressure and injectors
Update: The issue doesn't disappear anymore, it runs rich all the time now
Update: Tonight I filled the fuel tank and instead of running low 10s AFR, I'm running much more close to 15.5AFR. But you can see the issue is still there, only less drastic. It may be overheating fuel pump, but I don't think it would cause higher fuel pressure.
Update: August 1st, installed new wbo2 sensor. August 7th, no issue yet
Update: Issue started back by august 20. By Boosted tuning experience with sound deadened trunks, fuel temps can vary a lot more. I started to hold a minimum of 1/2 tank of fuel in the car and issue hasn't came back since then.
Update: Issue has started again last week, cold outside temperature. Ordered a GM MAT sensor and bung, I'll retune the car for it and see how it goes

The problem isn't really there in high load because fuel variance from MAT isn't high enough to see a drastic AFR change. The problem is more accentued from running open loop idle and cruising because actual IDC is very low, so temp correction shift it a lot more than when IDC are high on boost.
Any ideas?

Last edited by domyz; Sep 11, 2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by domyz
Am I the only one to have this bug. I haven't logged it yet, but here is what happen:

I'm cruising full time open loop. Car is tuned for about 15.5 AFR.
All goes normal 99% of the time and suddenly car starts to run really rich. It cruises rich and it idles pig rich (low 10s). WOT isn't any richer. I go to WOT a few time and the issue disappears.

My theory for now would be a stuck open BOV, I will get into that in the next days. If it's not the BOV, I honestly have no other ideas except a SD ROM bug...

That's the good thing about speed density...as long as you arent at WOT, air leaks like that shouldnt make you go crazy rich as the ECU is making it's calcs based on inlet temp and density at the manifold.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Update: Tonight I opened the synapse BOV. Although it looked like new and non dry, I applied synthetic grease and retried the car. Same issue.

My next guess would be a FPR failure raising fuel pressure. Any ideas?

Last edited by domyz; Jul 16, 2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had some strange intermittent fueling issues when I forced open loop with the periphery bits on 88580714. Went away if I forced open loop by changing the load tables instead and leaving the periphery bit enabled.

Worth a try depending on how you are forcing open loop?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by XR6T
I had some strange intermittent fueling issues when I forced open loop with the periphery bits on 88580714. Went away if I forced open loop by changing the load tables instead and leaving the periphery bit enabled.

Worth a try depending on how you are forcing open loop?
Thanks for the advice, but I'm already forcing OL with OL throttle table. But I might log TPS (or o2feedback) to confirm that I'm not going back to closed loop suddenly. Good idea.
I also ordered a new o2 sensor for my wideband, it might be starting to act.

Last edited by WestSideBilly; Jul 18, 2013 at 08:48 AM. Reason: removed spam bot links
Old Jul 18, 2013, 06:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Some kind of bot..

I have a fuel bug that keeps me very much in ol until I stab it then it switches to cl.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

update: no boost leak
I will wait the new wideband o2 sensor before messsing with fuel rail pressure and injectors
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you running the Gm AIT or using the fuel temp sensor?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
Are you running the Gm AIT or using the fuel temp sensor?
Fuel temp sensor. It seems temperature related, but I'm not sure yet. Last week I installed a new o2 sensor. I'll wait for a really warm day, to see if fuel starts to get too hot from exhaust and engine bay recirc. It's cold here and I haven't had the issue since 2 weeks or so, but can't confirm it's temp related.. Maybe it was just the old o2 sensor.

Did you happen to encounter something like this Jay?

Last edited by domyz; Aug 6, 2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by domyz
Fuel temp sensor. It seems temperature related, but I'm not sure yet. Last week I installed a new o2 sensor. I'll wait for a really warm day, to see if fuel starts to get too hot from exhaust and engine bay recirc. It's cold here and I haven't had the issue since 2 weeks or so, but can't confirm it's temp related.. Maybe it was just the old o2 sensor.

Did you happen to encounter something like this Jay?
Yeah.

I had issues in one car while using the fuel temp sensor for SD. The AFR would drastically change based on how much fuel the car had ie tune the car at 1/4 tank to desired AFRs, then filled up to full tank and the AFR would be way off. Going to a GM AIT solved this issue. This car did have Dynamat (sound deadening) all over the trunk and rear seat area though, basically "insulating" the fuel tank and fuel temp sensor.

Had another car that while his fuel temp sensor SD tune was decently solid, moving to the GM AIT made the tune more solid and better overall. Now Im a fan of running a GM AIT for SD.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
Yeah.

I had issues in one car while using the fuel temp sensor for SD. The AFR would drastically change based on how much fuel the car had ie tune the car at 1/4 tank to desired AFRs, then filled up to full tank and the AFR would be way off. Going to a GM AIT solved this issue. This car did have Dynamat (sound deadening) all over the trunk and rear seat area though, basically "insulating" the fuel tank and fuel temp sensor.

Had another car that while his fuel temp sensor SD tune was decently solid, moving to the GM AIT made the tune more solid and better overall. Now Im a fan of running a GM AIT for SD.
Ahhhhh... I also have sound deadening all over the trunk and car's floor. Last summer I wrapped the exhaust pipe under fuel tank when I had a problem with noisy walbro once. It solved the overheating noise but I guess fuel is still getting hot. I think deadening may create an insulation where the fuel tank heat cannot be absorbed by the trunk and is trapped intank...

I'll convert to GM AIT on lower UICP soon. Many, many thanks for sharing your experience.

Last edited by domyz; Aug 7, 2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 01:34 PM

What rom you use for SD AIT sensor for evo 8? I am in Kuwait and no one know anything about speed Density.
Thanks
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by 101516
What rom you use for SD AIT sensor for evo 8? I am in Kuwait and no one know anything about speed Density.
Thanks
Bump
Old Sep 6, 2013, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 101516
Bump
94171715 from here:

Option 3 94171715 (v7 + Mods + Speed Density Omni 4 Bar) - Download | Mirror

Everything that is included in Option 4 minus mrfred double load
Speed Density Implemented using the Fuel Temp sensor as input for Temperature
Please check the jitter fixes per mrfred - Click here