Notices
ECU Flash

Fuel Cut on JDM Evo8

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Cut on JDM Evo8

I recently purchased a JDM Evolution 8 GSR with the 6 speed option. Originally, it ran the ROM ID 93660005. I am new to tuning so I decided to start playing with Tephra v7. I couldn't find a version specific to my car so I used the universal 96530706.
Everything worked perfectly except the immobilizer which I disabled.
Problem: I installed an omni 4 bar map sensor to log boost. Note that my car did not come with a factory map sensor. I used the instructions found in mfred's thread here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...evo-8-9-a.html
I enabled launch maps (which didnt engage at the specified RPM). To work around, I used this thread to enable 2 step: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...-not-work.html After messing with launching using 2 step, I came across an issue where the car would launch well but miss badly at the top of 1st. Thinking it was code I introduced, I flashed back to base 96530706Tephra and started troubleshooting. I found that each time I hit ~200 load I would hit a hard fuel/boost cut. I even got the boost cut when I used my original ROM.
To find the cause I did the following, result in brackets:
1) Try different factory coils (boost cut + miss)
2) Change plugs (boost cut + miss)
3) Change plug wires (boost cut) Miss disappeared and car felt "smoother"
4) Turned down boost on EBC to 15lb (boost cut)
5) Raised Fuel cut limit to over 300 load (boost cut)

Solution
I simply readded the code in mfred's post to account for the 4 bar map sensor and the boost cut issue was solved. While chasing this problem, I solved the high rpm missing issue by changing the plug wires.

I just wanted to post this for other JDM evo 8. I was told changing to 4 bar map without adding code does not cause this issue on the USDM ECUs.

Mods:
3 inch exhaust
Aftermarket O2 downpipe
Old school Greddy EBC (Profec-Bspec)