Notices
ECU Flash

High knock stock tune/motor P0300

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High knock stock tune/motor P0300

2005 evo 8 5 speed. 91 octane. 96940011

Hi all,I picked up a2005 evo 8 a few months back that was bone stock. since then I replaced the crank angle sensor due to failure. Now the only mods are Perrin intake filter, walbro 255, Coil on plug conversion and a synapse DV. The problem that has always plagued my evo (even when stock) is the dreaded P0300. Every time I get to about 5k rpm in 3rd or 4th gear it will go into limp mode. So I decided to buy a tactrix open port 2.0 and an innovative wide band to what was going on. I am putting the wide band in this weekend but I went ahead and did a data log via evoscan. I had knock counts up to 11. Obviously this is not normal. I was wondering if the imput shaft on the transmission vibrating could be throwing a false knock hence the P0300 code. I have heard that theory on the forums. the graph shows a spike in knock right around 5k rpm and at 6300 rpm the car went into limp mode knock count of 11.
Attached Thumbnails High knock stock tune/motor P0300-knock-sum.png  

Last edited by seymour86; Oct 17, 2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 03:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Log knock voltage, Timing, AFR, boost, etc.

Don't do anymore pulls until you get your WB logging. Even then just do a partial pull. Post up your log or pm me.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 04:53 PM

Gunna do one this weekend after wb install. Thanks for the reply.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 04:29 AM
Evolving Member

What did your timing look like? And what boost level are you running? I had to pull some timing on my stock (ish) car to get rid of knock.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
subscribed. I have an '05 as well displaying similar knock - moreso in first-third gear. Despite map smoothing, timing reductions, 110 octane, nothing hitting downpipes etc I have been unsuccessful in getting rid of mine.

The only thing I haven't tried on my car is going back to stock coils (we both have the COP setups). Not sure how this would effect it, but I've always been curious.

Keep us posted once you get that WB working
Old Oct 23, 2013, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

X Double, lower your gap to .020 and use BR8ES plugs. Don't get them confused with the ones you have on their now.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 04:46 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'm just curious why the smaller gap helps with knock.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Tighter gap helps with spark blowout. I couldn't run a .026 on any Evo I've tuned (i thought it was that gap for some reason. had it mixed with 2g dsm gap) or else about 4-5k it would break up and knock like holy hell.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

What gap are you running? I ask because I just put in a fresh set of plugs with a 0.025 gap and had some trouble with knock on 93 octane at higher RPMs as well. I'm wondering if I just need to make the gap smaller to help.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:18 PM

I am running BR7EIX at .022" I was at .024" but brought it down in an attempt to help...it did not. maybe I will try switching to a colder plug. Have not had a chance to put my wide band in yet as life is hectic.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MercenaryX2
X Double, lower your gap to .020 and use BR8ES plugs. Don't get them confused with the ones you have on their now.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've got some BPR8ES' in there now that I can gap lower. Any reason I need to try the BR8ES'? I read some people having more issues with them since they are the non protruding type. I was also thinking that since I am running the COP setup that I should be able to get away with a slightly larger gap. Nonetheless, this is something I haven't tried. From reading a set of BPR7ES i just had in there, the heat range appeared ok. I just tried the 8's to be sure. Drove it tonight...lots of random knock, part throttle as well.

Out of town this weekend, but will try the lower gap you have suggested when I get back.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 09:40 AM

Tried BR8ES gapped at .021" was able to do one pull al the way to redline 7K without throwing a code. data logger still showing a spike to knock count of 9 around 5k RPM. Hopefully going to get that wide band in this weekend. Have to go to some baby shower for my girlfriends sister in laws sister...when did baby showers become something for both sexes?
Old Oct 25, 2013, 09:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by seymour86
Tried BR8ES gapped at .021" was able to do one pull al the way to redline 7K without throwing a code. data logger still showing a spike to knock count of 9 around 5k RPM. Hopefully going to get that wide band in this weekend. Have to go to some baby shower for my girlfriends sister in laws sister...when did baby showers become something for both sexes?
I know it was asked a couple of times, but what boost are you running and how are you controlling it? It may be too high of boost for 91 octane. Do you have a boost gauge or evoscan/cable?

Also, don't go to the baby shower! Fix your car Trust me, baby showers are not meant for both sexes! JK, but having a few kids myself and having attended one shower, I'll never go again. Instead the husbands/boyfriends of the shower goers go out or watch the game in the man cave, etc.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 10:21 AM

LOL

Boost is controlled through a stock boost control solenoid and the actuator is stock as well. reading about 20-21 spike psi on my autometer mechanical gauge then down to about 18psi. just ordered an Omni 4bar so I can data log that as well.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by X Double Dot
Any reason I need to try the BR8ES'? I read some people having more issues with them since they are the non protruding type.
I've heard and seen nothing but the opposite. Granted, some people benefit, some don't. Never heard of any negative effects though. I've seen people with worse luck running the iridium plugs over copper. Nonetheless, its just an option. BTW, 7's are stock.

Quick Reply: High knock stock tune/motor P0300