Notices
ECU Flash

need a new laptop and some suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need a new laptop and some suggestions

So im trying to get into tuning and data logging for my evo 9 and in attempting to do the tephra v7 mod after completing the download and opening in ecuflash about 5 minutes later my laptop crashed and I cant even get past the startup screen now. So assuming the worst I need a new laptop I figured id look into so ultrabooks as they r compact and lightweight and im just wondering what the ideal specs are for a laptop being used for data logging and engine tuning as well as day to day use. Trying to score a good black friday deal or cyber monday. Thanks in advance for the help
Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:01 PM

Btw trying to keep the cost under 800 bucks
Old Nov 26, 2013, 03:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Toshiba has done me well. but ssd is absolutely key to battery life and instant on performance. I added a ssd and as much ram as I could. Can't leave anything stock!

Was the 399 option at best buy plus 150+50 for up rated parts. Still a better bang than the 600$ options

Granted its a 80 gb ssd and 8 gb ram the graphic card and processor are still average. It's excellent for tuning though and I rarely charge it

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Nov 26, 2013 at 03:49 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 04:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tiger direct .com

Didn't know if I could link that?

They have ridiculous deals constantly.

Cheap options Dell d630. Older, but have a serial port and handle a lot of abuse.

329-429 range anything now adays with an i3 or i5 processor and 4gb of ram will run your software and daily stuff without issues. I don't know if you need a serial port or just jab. Most newer computers dropped having a serial port.

I avoid AMD processors because they use more battery to make less processing power compared to Intel. The best AMD processor, even now a days can't compare to Intel.

Passmark.com is also awesome for choosing your system. They have benchmark tests that show what's strong and what's not worth it.

Good luck
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by illogicalmind
Tiger direct .com

Didn't know if I could link that?

They have ridiculous deals constantly.

Cheap options Dell d630. Older, but have a serial port and handle a lot of abuse.

329-429 range anything now adays with an i3 or i5 processor and 4gb of ram will run your software and daily stuff without issues. I don't know if you need a serial port or just jab. Most newer computers dropped having a serial port.

I avoid AMD processors because they use more battery to make less processing power compared to Intel. The best AMD processor, even now a days can't compare to Intel.

Passmark.com is also awesome for choosing your system. They have benchmark tests that show what's strong and what's not worth it.

Good luck
Thanks for the input guys!
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Newegg also has great prices.

good battery life is the most important factor for tuning IMO. Performance etc doesn't need tobe exceptional just to do datalogging.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

I bought a used HP 2133 mini notebook off eBay for $65. It is extremely small and lightweight and portable. It has two usb ports, one for evoscan and one for my wideband and I couldn't be happier with this laptop. You don't need to go ***** out for simple logging and tuning. Although when I do get a new one I want one of those new Windows tablets that has the keyboard that clicks on to it. They run off of Windows 8 so that will work fine with evoscan and ecuflash as long as they have 2 usb ports. And they're only like $350 brand new. What more can you ask for?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I think I paid 99$ for my thinkpad(t42). It's been a solid tuning computer..
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:34 PM

i ended up buying a Samsung ativ book 9 plus which some will think is overkill for tuning but tuning isn't the only thing ill be doing with it. its actually my main and only pc so I figured id get something really nice. so far so good!