Notices
ECU Flash

Random overboosts

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2013, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Random overboosts

got a weird boost issue that has even got my tuner stumped so was hoping someone could throw some ideas my way

On some runs WGDC% behaves as you would expect and will raise and lower as you would expect so that boost will correct and then on other runs it will hit a number and stick eg below

Here you can see WGDC sticks on 85 and 95 and boost overshoots to 34 psi (not good a standard 8 GSR turbo)

and here you can see it adjusting correctly and hitting its target boost

What I have tried

Borrowed an ECU from another evo 8
borrowed another 3 port
I checked the hoses on the 3 port and they seem fine but didnt go as far as pulling them out and giving them a real close look
pulled out PIN 41 (waste gate solenoid) on the ecu and reseated it incase it was not making a good connection.
This morning I lowered the preload on the actuator by 1 half turn just incase it had too much preload and loaded a rom that had all boost settings zero'd out so that it should be hitting wastegate pressure. Didnt log it but boost gauge says i was hitting 1 bar but then on one or two random boosts it hit close to 2 bar.

The actuator I have on at the moment is a Kando 1.2 bar actuator the only thing I can think is to swap back to the factory actuator which I have sitting in the garage apart from that I'm stumped as well.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 06:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Please post your base WGDC and boost error correction tables. Neither log shows any error correction in the WGDC. Are you running the same stretch of road for these pulls?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
edit: i'll post back when im sure but looks like it might be a corrupt rom

Last edited by azzaevoviii; Dec 9, 2013 at 09:49 PM.