Notices
ECU Flash

88580714 Tephra v7 Flash (Car stalls)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88580714 Tephra v7 Flash (Car stalls)

I've recently flashed my evo 9 with tephra v7, Unfortunately the car doesn't hold up on start up, it turns on if I give it a bit of gas it will remain on, other wise it immediately stalls.

I've recently stroked my engine, 2.3 liters, added GSC2 camshafts, beehives, and bought me the PTE 1200 injectors that are not yet installed (still stock injectors)

I'm try to install the Tephra v7, but the car obviously keeps stalling, I don't have a map whatsoever its just what comes with the Tephra and I was trying to do the tune from there.

I disabled the immobilizer, and everything else checked.

I returned my old Rom, and the car starts up right away, but I want the Tephra v7 and that isn't working.

(I also tried to return the stock 88580014 and then removed immobilizer but the car reacted exactly like the Tephra v7 rom did.

Which leads me to think that either this rom doesn't work with my car, or ofcourse the more probably answer, ISCV or some other idling parameters need adjusting.

My question is, what are those parameters that I need to be looking at to get the car to start idle properly etc, before I go to fixing timing AFR's etc.

Last edited by Wajeb Wahab; Mar 20, 2018 at 07:34 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 09:42 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
I would suggest making sure your injector and iscv settings match between roms. You should also try settings the biss screw. You can search for information on doing that.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
I would suggest making sure your injector and iscv settings match between roms. You should also try settings the biss screw. You can search for information on doing that.
Actually the tuner that last tuned the old engine actually tampered with that bolt on the throttle body to increase idle, not really sure why. (is that a critical point to cause such an issue)
The problem is that the new Rom doesn't have the same graphs or options like the original one, specifically the ISCV, I had to manually write them in the related xml file and then they showed up unfortunately they are still not the same.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:35 AM

yah the BISS short for base idle set screw (i think anyway) has alot to do with the ability to idle. Try opening it up a bit and see if it will idle. There is a function in evoscan that you can use to set it properly, but for now you can just open it up and see if that helps your engine stay alive. Also if you haven't. you should do a boost leak test to find any potential boost and vacuum leaks.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
yah the BISS short for base idle set screw (i think anyway) has alot to do with the ability to idle. Try opening it up a bit and see if it will idle. There is a function in evoscan that you can use to set it properly, but for now you can just open it up and see if that helps your engine stay alive. Also if you haven't. you should do a boost leak test to find any potential boost and vacuum leaks.
Actually if I reflash the ROM I already had on the car, it would Idle great... Doesn't that remove the issue to strictly it being a tuning issue?!

Or can the biss bolt work great on a tune and just completely stall the car on another?

And is there a thread that demonstrates which graphs on stock ROM represents which graphs on the tephra?

Sorry if what I'm asking isn't clear! I'll rephrase if need be since English is my second language.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Wajeb Wahab
Actually if I reflash the ROM I already had on the car, it would Idle great... Doesn't that remove the issue to strictly it being a tuning issue?!

Or can the biss bolt work great on a tune and just completely stall the car on another?

And is there a thread that demonstrates which graphs on stock ROM represents which graphs on the tephra?

Sorry if what I'm asking isn't clear! I'll rephrase if need be since English is my second language.
Setting the BISS screw will compensate for the different ISCV settings between the roms, at least at idle. For example it is basically a required step in the evo 8 when going from a 9417 USDM to a 9653 EDM variant. As far as your questions regarding setting up V7, there are tons of threads about every possible thing you could want to know, your just gonna have to take some time to really read through them and pull out the answers to your questions. Start with the V7 thread and go from there.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Here's a short list of questions to help members give you a more complete answer to you post.
Did you move all the previous settings from your old tune, to your new rom?
Did you change injectors, or are they still stock?
Did you make adjustments for the increase in displacement?
Is the car completely mechanically sound?

This should help. Once these questions are answered and addressed if needed, then you can move into fueling adjustments, assuming your problems persist.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tuxevo
Here's a short list of questions to help members give you a more complete answer to you post.
Did you move all the previous settings from your old tune, to your new rom?
Did you change injectors, or are they still stock?
Did you make adjustments for the increase in displacement?
Is the car completely mechanically sound?

This should help. Once these questions are answered and addressed if needed, then you can move into fueling adjustments, assuming your problems persist.
I don't know which settings to move, especially that many of the graphs aren't the same naming. That is exactly what I'm asking, is there a thread that talks about the graph in a stock ROM and its corresponding one on the tephra v7?

I have PTE1200 ready to go in, but I'm trying to tune the stock ones on very low boost first. (So as of now I have the stock ones)(precautionary measures)

Adjustment for the increase in displacement were not done, as I don't know where to even start reading for such a thing.
Can you help me with some Jargon that I can read and take my time for it to sink in?

Thanks
Old Mar 21, 2018, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
If your goal is to tune it yourself you should spend the next month in this section reading the V7 set up thread, the injector scaling thread, the timing map threads, the idle tuning theads and pretty much every other thread as you'll need the info at some point in your effort.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 02:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I recommend to go through the Merlins Manual and while reading it make modifications/research about that specific subject. This ECU's aren't easy to tune and everyone even with the same setup ends with their own settings/calibrations. The Merlins manual gave me a great theory and gave me step by step about what the functions are and what is affected once you modify these. It explain everything about the ROM's but like Tuxevo said you will need to spend some hours per day figuring this out via the search bar through the forum. I hope you can get what you need.
The following users liked this post:
Wajeb Wahab (Mar 22, 2018)
Old Mar 21, 2018, 03:02 PM

Link to Merlin Tuning guide https://evoecu.logic.net/mirror/merl...UIDE-V1.7a.pdf
Old Mar 22, 2018, 01:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
"it turns on if I give it a bit of gas it will remain on, other wise it immediately stalls." - Click Here for your solution

The search button is your best friend
The following users liked this post:
Wajeb Wahab (Mar 22, 2018)
Old Mar 22, 2018, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tuxevo
If your goal is to tune it yourself you should spend the next month in this section reading the V7 set up thread, the injector scaling thread, the timing map threads, the idle tuning theads and pretty much every other thread as you'll need the info at some point in your effort.
I've been reading all of them for the past 2 month actually, multiple times. I would love to give it to a proper tuner, unfortunately they all declined working on the stock ECU.
And knowing the many cars that are failing and breaking under their watch doesn't help with the confidence.

Plus since they all speak arabic and very little english, that won't help me during my search cause honestly at first even MBC was a tough guess then I figured what they are talking about, let alone guessing that the bolt on the throttle was called Biss...

So bare with me cause most of my search issues are not laziness but language or car jargon barriers.

I have reached from XML's being Chinese to finally being able to edit them (slightly).

Thanks to all who are helping
Old Mar 22, 2018, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by jmedina23
I recommend to go through the Merlins Manual and while reading it make modifications/research about that specific subject. This ECU's aren't easy to tune and everyone even with the same setup ends with their own settings/calibrations. The Merlins manual gave me a great theory and gave me step by step about what the functions are and what is affected once you modify these. It explain everything about the ROM's but like Tuxevo said you will need to spend some hours per day figuring this out via the search bar through the forum. I hope you can get what you need.
Man this guide is awesome! How the hell did I miss this? Highly appreciated!
Old Mar 22, 2018, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by 400s
"it turns on if I give it a bit of gas it will remain on, other wise it immediately stalls." - Click Here for your solution

The search button is your best friend
Thanks alot I will look into this as soon as I'm done with Merlins tuning guide.

Quick Reply: 88580714 Tephra v7 Flash (Car stalls)