Notices
ECU Flash

Getting started

Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Getting started

Hello, over the last few days I have been going through all of this information about getting ECU Flash for when I go back to a stock ecu from my aem v1 (which I utterly hate).

I'm having some issues discerning what is old information that isn't relevant anymore with newer versions and what is current today. The other problem is that no one seems to still use one thing. From what I can tell there are several different cables, ROMs, Patches, and versions of ECU Flash. I'm trying to find out what I need to get an ecu that wasn't originally in my car setup to go into my car.

From what I have read I can either use an OP2.0 or tactrix cable?
Which is better, is one just a different brand, do they do the same things?

I need a different cable for burning ROMs and one for flashing the ecu?
I haven't found a lot of information on this, I'm not clear on what a ROM is vs the Flash which I get is the "tune".

Lastly, the newest version of ecu flash that I have read about is 1.29 but others say there are newer versions. What's the latest stable version for this?

Maybe I'm just missing some big threads or something. Feel free to post a link to point me in the right direction.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as cables are concerned you want the 1.3U. The 1.3 logs better than the 2.0 on CT9A platform and allows you to flash with ECUFlash. The newest version of ECUFlash is v1.44. I have been using it for the last couple of months with no problems.

ROM is Read Only Memory. It is the information that the ecu uses for all its control. The flash is just burning the ROM to the ECU.

As far as rom patches, just about everyone has switched over to the Tephra V7 roms. Do some reading about them, the link is in the Important ECU Thread Link sticky above. If you want some other features that are not included in Tephra, ie definitions found after its release such as advanced fuel controls, you'll need to edit your own xml files to accomplish this.

If you have any more questions post them up.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Perfect! Thank you so much!
Old Dec 31, 2013, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Better to use the Tactrix OpenPort2 cable, it does more types of ECU and can do stand alone logging.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Crap, I already bought the 1.3u. I've read of some people having troubles with the op2.0 though so. As long it works on my car I'll be with that.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
The 1.3U will work ok, but it is not as tolerant to low battery voltage as the OpenPort2.

Battery voltage below 12.6 volts can be a problem with the 1.3U.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Until Evoscan fixes the issue with the inability to pull codes or run the actuators with the OP2.0, it's a terrible idea for any 8 or 9, IMO.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

^^^^^ makes me feel better about my purchase
Old Jan 2, 2014, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Broke4speed
Until Evoscan fixes the issue with the inability to pull codes or run the actuators with the OP2.0, it's a terrible idea for any 8 or 9, IMO.
I haven't been around as much what is the issue with the actuators and 2.0? Code pulling is a non-issue since you should just have a standalone tool to do this anyway. With my standalone tool I can pull that code before folks have loaded up their laptop and it works on cars that EvoScan doesn't support.

Truthfully the standalone logging of the OP2.0 is the big advantage. You plug it in and don't need to have a laptop in the car to get logs. For circuit cars that's something you couldn't do with the 1.3 unless you came up with some solution to keep the laptop from grenading itself in corners.

OT, OP the 1.3 works just fine so no reason to 2nd guess your purchase.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 07:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
The issue is explained here.

J2534 Read Error
Old Jan 3, 2014, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by codgi
I haven't been around as much what is the issue with the actuators and 2.0? Code pulling is a non-issue since you should just have a standalone tool to do this anyway. With my standalone tool I can pull that code before folks have loaded up their laptop and it works on cars that EvoScan doesn't support.

Truthfully the standalone logging of the OP2.0 is the big advantage. You plug it in and don't need to have a laptop in the car to get logs. For circuit cars that's something you couldn't do with the 1.3 unless you came up with some solution to keep the laptop from grenading itself in corners.

OT, OP the 1.3 works just fine so no reason to 2nd guess your purchase.
True, but if someone buys a 2.0, and doesn't have a standalone scanner, or wants to do the actuator tests...they're boned .
It's been an issue for many years now, and Evoscan will not come out and say they can't solve it, which is an issue because it's the ONLY supported logging tool out there now.

I just have a problem with being locked into a software/tool package that is incomplete and non-functional. For the CAN-based cars, sure, the 2.0 is great, but it's a waste of money for anything else, IMHO. I had one, and sold it to someone who had more use for it than I did. I went back to my R cable, and life is good again . I never did any standalone logging, so truthfully, I shouldn't have bought it in the first place, lol.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Unrelated to cables: I'm trying to decide which rom I should start with when I get my stock wiring and ecu back in the car.

I have read that the 94170715 is more closely based off the stock 03 and early 04 roms and tend to do better in those cars where as the 96530706 is more closely related to the later 04s and 05s.

From this information I should go with the 94170715 first and try making it work yes?

Secondly, in the Tephra V7 thread I read this: "Every EVO8 ROM is setup for the Immobilizer HEX for a 2003 USDM car. Change the Immobilizer HEX to your specific car if your car is not a 2003 USDM!"

Since my car is an 03 does that mean I can just flash and go and my key will work just fine?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by terror rising
The issue is explained here.

J2534 Read Error
Good looking out

Originally Posted by Broke4speed
True, but if someone buys a 2.0, and doesn't have a standalone scanner, or wants to do the actuator tests...they're boned .
It's been an issue for many years now, and Evoscan will not come out and say they can't solve it, which is an issue because it's the ONLY supported logging tool out there now.

I just have a problem with being locked into a software/tool package that is incomplete and non-functional. For the CAN-based cars, sure, the 2.0 is great, but it's a waste of money for anything else, IMHO. I had one, and sold it to someone who had more use for it than I did. I went back to my R cable, and life is good again . I never did any standalone logging, so truthfully, I shouldn't have bought it in the first place, lol.

Right all depends on purpose for the standalone logging outweighs anything else. The ACD reflashing as a matures would be another one that the 1.3 cables just can't do. Anyway once you're happy with it that's all that matters.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cerevo
Unrelated to cables: I'm trying to decide which rom I should start with when I get my stock wiring and ecu back in the car.

I have read that the 94170715 is more closely based off the stock 03 and early 04 roms and tend to do better in those cars where as the 96530706 is more closely related to the later 04s and 05s.

From this information I should go with the 94170715 first and try making it work yes?

Secondly, in the Tephra V7 thread I read this: "Every EVO8 ROM is setup for the Immobilizer HEX for a 2003 USDM car. Change the Immobilizer HEX to your specific car if your car is not a 2003 USDM!"

Since my car is an 03 does that mean I can just flash and go and my key will work just fine?
I would note down the immobilizer info from the original rom and copy to the new one if it works at all. Maybe start testing before flashing to ensure it works (i.e ensure that the ECU if used didn't already come with a modded rom)? The downside which some of these modded roms and the year of the car is that the immobilizer does not work on all years/models.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Eh, if someone is going to steal your car hot-wiring it isn't going to be their first choice anyways. I wouldn't worry so much about the immobilizer. Car theifs know about the immobilizer on Evo's so if they're gonna steal it they would use a flatbed tow truck lol. If you can retain the immobilizer function great, if not, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I don't even think the '03 model had it but I could be wrong.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting started