Notices
ECU Flash

FIC2150 tuning notes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Perhaps try lowering the decel load threshold a bit.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't believe its misfire also.
I've had mine on the dyno with headphones on, its definately not misfire on my car, it runs silky smooth, just leans out between 2500-2750 rpm.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Interesting but I'll have to try it to believe it. My disbelief arises from several factors. First is that I don't think the stock FPR has a damper built into it. The only thing I see is the spring and diaphragm assembly for setting the pressure. Next is that it's hard to believe that there is insufficient fuel flow to be allowing this to happen. Since its rpm-specific, it would seem to be a resonance-driven issue. Anyhow, I'll log fuel pressure as soon as I get a chance. A 18% fuel reduction will require about a 30% fuel pressure drop. Should be easy to see.
I would have never believed a dampener would solve the leaning issue on my Evo X until I did it myself. My car would nearly stall from this issue if I wasn't careful and depending on which AFPR I used (3 different units/sizes) moved the lean spot around considerably but always repeatable in the exact same spot.

I am now tuning an Evo 8 that exhibits this same scenario but from 3100~3400rpms (higher than I ever seen on my X) so I've wanted to test a dampener on this car. All the Evo 8/9's I've tuned I have never see this issue but it was common to see on the Evo X.

The dampener used from Radium looks awfully like the stock regulator so my presumption is its a reaction time of a large FPR vs the tiny stock unit. Someone logged the pressure over the course of an hour and there is a very clear visual the dampener is working to stabilize.

See this post for logged data:

http://www.boostedforum.com/Thread-A...16349#pid16349

Main thread for informational purposes:

http://www.boostedforum.com/Thread-A...-others-SOLVED
Old Feb 3, 2015, 12:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
I read through the thread, and it sure sounds like my issue. I guess I'll have to try the Radium damper. If it doesn't fix my issue, it seems that I can easily sell it to an Evo 10 owner.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 02:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Radium fuel pulsation damper installed on my FPR. Its not quite as good as having it on the rail, but if its going to make a difference, I'll see it. Now I just gotta wait for the crappy weather to go away so I can try it out.

Attached Thumbnails FIC2150 tuning notes-radium-fuel-pulse-damper-installed.jpg  
Old Feb 5, 2015, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So is it like a nitrogen filled surge suppressor?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 10:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by jeffbeagley
So is it like a nitrogen filled surge suppressor?
Its a spring loaded diaphram. My guess is that it takes about 32 psi to push it off its seat, and then it probably bottoms out at about 50 psi. It really should have a vacuum/boost reference like an FPR so that the damper pressure adjusts itself to keep the diaphram in the optimal position to absorb and release pressure pulses. Its not the best product for the job, but no one makes a proven one (like I described), and other's have said this one works so I thought I'd give it a try to see if it gets rid of the lean spot. Its supposed to rain for the next six days, so it might not be until next week before I try it out.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Well, the pressure damper didn't do squat to eliminate the lean spot. The lack of any effect matches well with my data logs showing no unusual fuel pressure drops. I suppose it could be argued that it wasn't in an optimal location, so perhaps I'll try it at the rail inlet.

Last edited by mrfred; Feb 13, 2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 04:46 PM
EvoM Guru

The fuel pressure damper is working. It didn't work at all when it was attached to the FPR, but its definitely working with it T-ed into the fuel inlet at the rail. At low load it has completely wiped away the lean spot, but at higher load (still in vacuum), its only partially removing the lean spot - only about a 10% enrichment is required instead of 25% enrichment. At this point, its quite tempting to try to tap it directly into my fuel rail to see if that works even better. I also need to talk to Radium about whether they'd be willing to make a vacuum/boost referenced fuel pressure damper.

Last edited by mrfred; Feb 19, 2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
The fuel pressure damper is working! It didn't work at all when it was attached to the FPR, but its definitely working with it T-ed into the fuel inlet at the rail. At low load it has completely wiped away the lean spot, but at higher load (still in vacuum), its only partially removing the lean spot - only about a 10% enrichment is required instead of 25% enrichment. At this point, its quite tempting to try to tap it directly into my fuel rail to see if that works even better. I also need to talk to Radium about whether they'd be willing to make a vacuum/boost referenced fuel pressure damper.
Good news! Do you have a pic of how yours is currently set up?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 04:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 10isace
Good news! Do you have a pic of how yours is currently set up?
I used an extension T combined with a smooth 90 deg connector.

Attached Thumbnails FIC2150 tuning notes-radium-fuel-pulse-damper-installed-inlet.jpg  

Last edited by mrfred; Feb 14, 2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The fuel pressure damper is working! It didn't work at all when it was attached to the FPR, but its definitely working with it T-ed into the fuel inlet at the rail. At low load it has completely wiped away the lean spot, but at higher load (still in vacuum), its only partially removing the lean spot - only about a 10% enrichment is required instead of 25% enrichment. At this point, its quite tempting to try to tap it directly into my fuel rail to see if that works even better. I also need to talk to Radium about whether they'd be willing to make a vacuum/boost referenced fuel pressure damper.
Great to hear!

I have mine on the fuel rail between injector #2 and #3 and my near stall-causing lean spot is totally gone.

I'd try at the minimum an inline option like Radium offers if you cannot add it directly to the rail in some form.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 08:11 AM
EvoM Guru

My setup at the inlet is equivalent to the radium inline option. Wish I could install directly into the rail. Maybe time to switch rails.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good news!

I have an AEM rail, I like having the mech gauge on top as I log pressure into the ECU off the reg.
I, like you are contemplating either drilling and tapping the bottom of the rail in the centre for a damper or swapping the rail out.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 06:52 PM
EvoM Guru

I finally put in a tank of pump gas because several people were asking me to try it. Its actually E20 because of the residual two gallons of E85 in the tank, but close enough. For cruise conditions it was close to perfect with my first guess at injector scaling for pump gas (my E85 value divided by 0.7). Idle was a bit off, but after a few minor tweaks to the pulsewidth linearization table at very low pulsewidths that I could never assess on E85, I have it idling nicely. There's a bit of a lean spot when transitioning away from idle. No time yet to iron that out, but I have no doubt I'll be able to fix it, probably tomorrow or maybe tonight. Goal will be to take whatever changes I make to fuelling tables other than the injector scaling and apply them to my E85 tune.

Quick Reply: FIC2150 tuning notes