Notices
ECU Flash

Spoolup knock & AFR inconsistancy. Lean Spool the cause?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2015, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spoolup knock & AFR inconsistancy. Lean Spool the cause?

I've been having some issues with tuning my car. Specifically when rolling into the throttle getting into boost under partial throttle. I'm not sure if this is Lean Spool related as I do have it enabled.
It's been a struggle to get my air fuels smooth in that area. Sometimes the car will knock as much as 3-5 count, other times it won't knock at all. Usually when it does knock rolling into the throttle it will result in knock toward the end of the pull also. Other times it will not knock at all throughout the entire pull. Pulling out degrees of timing hasn't really done anything.
If I do a 1st-4th gear pull I normally won't get any knock at all. It's been really puzzling and hard to control. I am on E85, bpr8es plugs gapped at .018".
Attached Thumbnails Spoolup knock & AFR inconsistancy. Lean Spool the cause?-timingmap.png   Spoolup knock & AFR inconsistancy. Lean Spool the cause?-fuelmap.png   Spoolup knock & AFR inconsistancy. Lean Spool the cause?-graph1.png   Spoolup knock & AFR inconsistancy. Lean Spool the cause?-graph2.png  
Old Oct 24, 2015, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
knock on E85? have you confirmed it is actual knock and not phantom?
Old Aug 24, 2022, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilDSM97
I've been having some issues with tuning my car. Specifically when rolling into the throttle getting into boost under partial throttle. I'm not sure if this is Lean Spool related as I do have it enabled.
It's been a struggle to get my air fuels smooth in that area. Sometimes the car will knock as much as 3-5 count, other times it won't knock at all. Usually when it does knock rolling into the throttle it will result in knock toward the end of the pull also. Other times it will not knock at all throughout the entire pull. Pulling out degrees of timing hasn't really done anything.
If I do a 1st-4th gear pull I normally won't get any knock at all. It's been really puzzling and hard to control. I am on E85, bpr8es plugs gapped at .018".
did lean spool end up being your issue I am having a similar issue and also get hung up around 5k like some type of anti lag then it knocks when it goes. Only sometimes though other times the car runs just fine and boost works
Old Aug 29, 2022, 09:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ben456392
did lean spool end up being your issue I am having a similar issue and also get hung up around 5k like some type of anti lag then it knocks when it goes. Only sometimes though other times the car runs just fine and boost works
Bump, I'm having the same issue. I checked:

Fuel Pressure (39psi idle, 60-62psi WOT)
Fuel Pump Strainer (Walbro 450hp + Stock Housing w/12v Rewire to Hobbs Switch for hi-lo function, strainer replaced preventively)
Hobbs Switch (pressurized it and kicked pump on w/key on)
Injectors (flow tested/cleaned at South Bay Injectors, ID1700Xs)
Fuel (Ran 2 tanks of E85 through it, testing at E67 -> E78 as it's doing it)
Exhaust Cam Sensor (replaced w/new one, cleaned terminals at plug up just in case)
Coils (Sparktech 300M COP w/M-W Pro12 CDI Box, replaced all four coils w/Mopar coils)
Plugs (did it on 2 sets of IKH24s, on the old set @ 0.019 gap now)
BCS (Disconnected MAC Solenoid to run 22psi off WG and still did it).
AFRs keep changing from 10.8-12.2 depending on pull, entirely random, but have gotten 5-10 knock sum counts even wiith rich AFRs
Boost Leak Test (held to 30+ psi) and exhaust leak test (held my hand up to the flanges when the car was cold)

I did a few datalogs and everything is as it should be other than the MAP sensor scaling being off because I didn't properly set up EvoScan so the boost isn't right (but it's going up consistently). Very close to just going to a shop, it'll do it intermittently 1 in every 10-20 pulls usually in the 4-6k range. On the larger 225kb file it's lines 95-112 where the knock event took place (weirdly enough no flashing CEL for any time this happened).

I also have video of it @ 10:34 you have to listen closely but my instructor noticed it, it felt like a stumble like someone is holding the car back.

Attached Files