ECU Flash

Replaced fuel line, tune waaay off.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2016, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced fuel line, tune waaay off.

General disclosure.

I'm not really doing the car thing much these days, but I do, and have driven the evo daily for the last... 8 or so years.

My laptops with all my stuff on them have long since died, and I've been digging through old stuff and pulling hard drives to try to get my stuff onto a new laptop I just bought since replacing my fuel line with a -6AN feed made the car undriveable.

The tune on the car is, some Tephra modded rom with what I think is big maps and not SD. I still have the old Maft Pro in the glove box doing that job and about the time I stopped caring - I was gearing up to switch the SD over to the car / ecu to dump the MP. It may be Tephra 7. As it has 0706 in it. But there were a bunch of small variations within that as well.

Car also does EBC.

I haven't touched or tuned it in... 5 years? 4?

I put gas in the tank, meth in it's tank, and change the fluids. Aside from fixing things that broke I'm basically done.

My WB is showing an awful lean bounce (17-18/1) and this just does not make sense unless STFT is pulling a mountain of fuel to try to keep the car from drowning. It won't idle without my foot on it. And even setting there for 15m trying to get trims to settle down wouldn't get me an idle.

Previous to my fuel line rotting out, a battery reset would give me some stumble until trims came in line but the car had to be within LTFT adjustment range as my WOT stuff was within tolerance the majority of the time. (Assuming my meth/water ratio was even remotely close)

Those of you that have done a line with AN hose - how much change did you see in fueling?

I was able to get an old version of ecuflash to work from my desktop I pulled from the old hard drive. And pull the rom. But... I'm not sure if what I'm seeing (XML / tables) are from my version, a customers rom, - no clue. I can't trust the XML matches my version of rom that it is modded for.

Plan B is I buy 3 more fittings, and jump from the pump housing / outlet back to the factory hardline ahead of where it rotted out. (All I really needed in the first place)

I haven't so much as looked at any of this stuff in years. My brain is seriously struggling. Half of me says, ok, let's get back on the horse. Half of me thinks the car will prooooobably break if I start doing sketchy WOT runs to dial it all in again if I start from scratch because I'm not sure where I left off.

Thoughts, opinions, insults welcome.

Have people continued development of the modded rom's, or did this pretty much stop when Tephra stopped? Did people move on to other tuning methods, or what? Treat me like I've been under a rock. Because I have.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Sounds like you're running the 96530706 Patch for MAF, which is the Tephra 7 large maps version. I have a recent .XML of it, if you wish. Go to http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?opt...ize=font-large To get the latest version of ECU FLash. I would load up ECU FLash, with this xml, and read the map currently on your car. Then see if it opens with the above XML. and it will tell you if that is the one.

If the Fuel line is larger that you installed over stock, then you are probably seeing a decent pressure drop in fuel pressure. Usually this will cause a rich condition to an extent, unless it is so great, that then it leans out. I know from experience when I changed the FPR out, it was accidentally set wrong and high at that. This caused an extremely lean condition in my case, for injectors were dialed in for stock pressure at 43.5 psi. In my case it was set to almost 50. THis lean or rich condition which you are experiencing could throw the fueling off of your meth injection kit as well because the ECU will be overcompensating some where to maintain stoich, among other issues if you did a WOT pull.

Hope I helped. Good luck.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

The car is a paperweight, undriveable it stumbles, won't idle, and chokes. It does somewhat bounce rich when you try to drive it, which is the only anomaly.

STFT is 24.
LTFT after holding it at 1100rpm for a year is 12.5

And it is still trending lean'ish on the bounce.

The only thing you said that makes any sense is pressure drop. Except, I have no idea how a reduction in fuel pressure could cause a rich condition because it won't. It will make your injectors act like smaller injectors = lean.

Now I need an A-FPR to fix this BS, or I cut the line, order another push-on connector to jump back into the factory hard line right where it starts to go back up the car. Essentially wasting 15' of -6AN line that I ran up the car on my back, on rocks.

And now I'm angry...

I do sincerely appreciate your post though because FP has to be the issue. I am a bit confused as to your logic in the middle there.

The car has Tephra 7 on it. Not any of the further modded ones by like phenem etc.

I am able to connect with Evoscan, (current) and both the old ECUflash, and the new. The new one just has no idea wtf to do with the file once it fetches it from the ecu.

So, for now - I just don't care. I am too foggy on this stuff to dick around with XML files. The old version I yanked from my old laptops HDD runs from the desktop.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

STFT is 24.
LTFT after holding it at 1100rpm for a year is 12.5
This sounds like a pressure issue. Any way to check fuel pressure at idle with your current setup?
If pressure is to high, causes a lean condition. Pressure to low, to a point, causes rich condition.

The new one just has no idea wtf to do with the file once it fetches it from the ecu.
THis is due to the wrong XML file. Your ecuflash rommetadata folder is missing the correct XML.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Raceghost
If pressure is to high, causes a lean condition.
Pressure to low, to a point, causes rich condition.
I absolutely agree with you that it is a fuel pressure issue. I am completely thankful of you mentioning it because it makes sense.

You however seriously have the symptoms backwards.

Raising FP will in effect overrun or increase fueling. Lowering it reduces fueling.

Which is exactly what happened in my car it's entire life. A W255 with the stock lines and FPR caused my FP to be high the entire time I've owned it. I have always simply tuned the car with a higher base fuel pressure. And injectors that essentially flowed more.

The increase in line volume dropped the pressure either back down to stock, or possibly lower?

And now I'm missing a big chunk of fuel.

I ordered an AFPR, and line kit. I'm not happy about it. But I should be able to simply raise fuel pressure until I get back to where I was and it will be close enough that the trims will pull it back into line. As unthrilling as this has all been over a simple hard line that rotted out. I can take my time and relearn some of this without the inability to get to work looming over my head.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Raising FP will in effect overrun or increase fueling. Lowering it reduces fueling.
In my limited experience, here was my issue. I just recently changed my stock FPR for a AEM adjustable FPR. Regulator was set incorrectly. Guage was showing 43.5 with vacuum connected. The gauge should read 38 with Vacuum connected... My trims looked just like yours, with the regulator set high. It was actually set to about 50 psi. I was lean. Drop the regulator down in pressure, and trims came back to rich side. Injectors were tuned on stock pressure. Either way it's set correctly now. Again, limited experience with fuel pressure issues.

Hope that part order works for you. I am sure it will.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

In my limited experience, here was my issue. I just recently changed my stock FPR for a AEM adjustable FPR. Regulator was set incorrectly. Guage was showing 43.5 with vacuum connected. The gauge should read 38 with Vacuum connected... My trims looked just like yours, with the regulator set high. It was actually set to about 50 psi. I was lean. Drop the regulator down in pressure, and trims came back to rich side. Injectors were tuned on stock pressure. Either way it's set correctly now. Again, limited experience with fuel pressure issues.

Hope that part order works for you. I am sure it will.
That doesn't make sense.

Well, up or down. I will have that ability in 2 days...

I have no idea what the FP was before my hard line became... porous...

Last edited by Asmodeus6; Jun 6, 2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

45psi at idle with the line on. LTFT lo is +2%

Car drives just like it did before.

You had me scratching my head for a second when I knew I was right. I don't quite know how your situation was the opposite, but I'm still glad you mentioned fuel pressure.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

45psi at idle with the line on. LTFT lo is +2%
Good to hear. Just for kicks and giggles, set it to 43.5 and log the idle trim.... I bet it will show close to dead on.

I'm not sure either. I also do not know if my pump was overrunning my stock FPR. I just know, while the car was running, and I was adjusting, the higher I adjusted the pressure, the leaner it got, and the car almost died. When I lowered pressure while idling, closer to the stock FP, trims richened up. With vacuum hose disconnected, it reads 44psi. Plug the line in, it drops to 38-39. I don't understand enough to know what the hell is going on there...

Glad you got it fingered out.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Good to hear. Just for kicks and giggles, set it to 43.5 and log the idle trim.... I bet it will show close to dead on.

I'm not sure either. I also do not know if my pump was overrunning my stock FPR. I just know, while the car was running, and I was adjusting, the higher I adjusted the pressure, the leaner it got, and the car almost died. When I lowered pressure while idling, closer to the stock FP, trims richened up. With vacuum hose disconnected, it reads 44psi. Plug the line in, it drops to 38-39. I don't understand enough to know what the hell is going on there...

Glad you got it fingered out.

I started at 30psi and kept raising it until my trims came in line. At 40'ish I was 5% or so positive in my LTFT-lo. By raising the fuel pressure. I added more fuel, and the trims came down to 1-2% positive. It takes a good bit of pressure to make a difference, but whatever my pressure dropped to, I was missing almost 30% at idle.

I feel like since you brought it up, and it ended up fixing my problem, I need to fix your understanding of this.

http://fuelinjectorclinic.com/flow-calculator

Let's make 500HP on that chart.

It tells me I need 875cc/min inj @43.5psi to do so.

If I raise my FP to 50psi, I only need 816cc/min inj.

This means at a higher pressure the injectors flow MORE. Not less.
Try it yourself.