Notices
ECU Flash

Tactrix Reflash connector causing clicking relay/blowing ecu fuse

Old Jun 10, 2016, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tactrix Reflash connector causing clicking relay/blowing ecu fuse

Hello all,

Im looking for any advice/tips/information regarding a tactrix cable and reflash connector.

My syptoms are: car runs flawlessly without reflash connector connected. But wont fully connect with evoscan even though the program recognises the cable. But my main cause for concern is that when i connect the reflash connector and turn the key, a relay on the inside fuse panel continuously clicks until a ecu/mfi/fp fuse blows.

Any ideas? Again, no issues with the car other then logging when The reflash connector is disconnected.

Thank you!
Old Jun 10, 2016, 01:37 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
I had a similar problem which turned out to be an internal short in the cable itself. Strangely if i plugged my laptop into the cigarette lighter port it wouldn't happen. Needless to say i replaced my cable. Im guessing your have a 1.3 type cable?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
I had a similar problem which turned out to be an internal short in the cable itself. Strangely if i plugged my laptop into the cigarette lighter port it wouldn't happen. Needless to say i replaced my cable. Im guessing your have a 1.3 type cable?
You sir! I just got home. The relays are only clicking with the cable plugged into the pc and reflash connected. Car is fine otherwise. If i leave the cable connected to the obd port but unplug from the usb jack, no clicking. So im expecting it to be cable or laptop (new laptop since i tuned injectors).

Too bad. I purchased thr cable a year ago. Took it out of thr package 2 weeks ago. So far not looking to be worth the 130$ it was.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 03:00 PM

And my 14$ pos vag com cable logs data. Cable it is. Unfortunate that 130$ cable breaks before my 2 year old 14$ one.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 04:42 PM

If its that new you must have bought the 1.3u cable from evoscan? Tactrix themselves stopped selling the 1.3 a while ago i believe. My 1.3 cable was also from evoscan, the problem with mine turned out to be one of the wires rubbing inside the connector wearing through the shielding and shorting. I replaced it with a 2.0 from tactrix and have had 0 problems with that.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 04:51 PM

This is a pic from when i tried to do a tear down to see what was wrong. The black wire wrapped in electrical tape was the one shorting, which also happened to be the flash connector wire. Unfortunately taping it up didn't fix it as i think i damaged one of the components while i was cracking it open.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 04:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
If its that new you must have bought the 1.3u cable from evoscan? Tactrix themselves stopped selling the 1.3 a while ago i believe. My 1.3 cable was also from evoscan, the problem with mine turned out to be one of the wires rubbing inside the connector wearing through the shielding and shorting. I replaced it with a 2.0 from tactrix and have had 0 problems with that.
That's correct. We stopped manufacturing the 1.x variants around 2008.

-Mike
Tactrix

Last edited by MikeyPSF; Jun 10, 2016 at 04:57 PM. Reason: clarification
Old Jun 11, 2016, 07:26 AM

Hmm. I dont recall where I bought the cable. Just know it was expensive. Looked very similar inside to the one posted above. Unfortunately i couldnt find a short.

I hope purchasing the cable via evoscan (im 99% sure it was from them) still supports the tactrix work. I bought it to support my usage of ecuflash/evoscan. Amazing programs in my mind and much easier/cheaper then tuning options for other cars. Thanks again everyone!