Old Aug 16, 2016, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Like I said.....

Thanks for your contribution 👍
Old Aug 16, 2016, 01:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Rick at Road Race Engineering was unable to get my car to run properly on speed density after multiple attempts. How is that for a well known shop and tuner? I will admit, I drove other SD CT9A's tuned by Rick that drove great. Mine, however, did not, I was in the same exact spot you currently are in, everything was/is mechanically sound, yet the car drives like ****.

I decided to try Aaron at English on the recommendation of a friend. Now, I couldn't be happier. My car was pretty damn good on the base map, and with a few revision from Aaron the car was perfect.

Some cars have quirks that others don't. Tuning the Evo 8/9 tephra SD isn't straight forward. It does not have a 3D VE table, and there is a lot of coding trickery going on in the background that makes it work. So you have to know how to work around things and fiddle with stuff to get the car to run right sometimes.

But, you know, I'm an idiot...
Old Aug 16, 2016, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Rick at Road Race Engineering was unable to get my car to run properly on speed density after multiple attempts. How is that for a well known shop and tuner? I will admit, I drove other SD CT9A's tuned by Rick that drove great. Mine, however, did not, I was in the same exact spot you currently are in, everything was/is mechanically sound, yet the car drives like ****.

I decided to try Aaron at English on the recommendation of a friend. Now, I couldn't be happier. My car was pretty damn good on the base map, and with a few revision from Aaron the car was perfect.

Some cars have quirks that others don't. Tuning the Evo 8/9 tephra SD isn't straight forward. It does not have a 3D VE table, and there is a lot of coding trickery going on in the background that makes it work. So you have to know how to work around things and fiddle with stuff to get the car to run right sometimes.

But, you know, I'm an idiot...
So last year when we tuned the car and it made 315hp in 4 tune revisions (coming from a stock 4g64 making 114hp) on VD I guess my tuner was more knowledgeable than he is now and he forgot how to tune an evo8 ecu on speed density.

I guess that analogy makes more sense to u.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Before I took possession of my Evo, the previous owner had it tuned by a very reputable shop also. It drove good, but the part throttle surging issue I had was quite annoying, especially at the track going through sweepers. I had it retuned by another reputable shop and he was able to extract more power and get rid of the surge. It really wouldn't hurt you to get a second opinion from another tuner.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 02:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by spdracr83
So last year when we tuned the car and it made 315hp in 4 tune revisions (coming from a stock 4g64 making 114hp) on VD I guess my tuner was more knowledgeable than he is now and he forgot how to tune an evo8 ecu on speed density.

I guess that analogy makes more sense to u.
I can tel you my car had the same issues yours, and simply adding 40% fuel to the rpm/ve table, or the open loop fuel table (and forcing the car to run open loop) didn't fix the problem. It would still randomnly lean out so bad it wouldn't even recover, it would just cough and stall.

But, clearly, your issue isn't a tune. I'm over it. Take your piece of **** hodge podge car and keep throwing money at it. You clearly don't understand how a fresh vs tired motor can make a drastic difference in VE and fueling needs. Have fun.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 02:37 PM

I can tel you my car had the same issues yours, and simply adding 40% fuel to the rpm/ve table, or the open loop fuel table (and forcing the car to run open loop) didn't fix the problem. It would still randomnly lean out so bad it wouldn't even recover, it would just cough and stall.

But, clearly, your issue isn't a tune. I'm over it. Take your piece of **** hodge podge car and keep throwing money at it. You clearly don't understand how a fresh vs tired motor can make a drastic difference in VE and fueling needs. Have fun.
U clearly didn't read any of my new posts so u need to seriously stop posting. Adding that much extra fuel was a simple test and is not in current tune. U obviously lack simple reading skills.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 09:04 AM

Take your piece of **** hodge podge car and keep throwing money at it.
just for the record i havent spent a dime trying to fix my issue, all i swapped was 4 things, cam sensor, fpr, map sensor and coils which i all had and didnt have to buy.

with that being said, the car runs and drive, drove it for 11 miles last night, still needs more fine tuning. my issue hasnt come back so it was definitely a wiring issue in my ignition harness.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 02:59 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts

You ->

LOL
Old Aug 17, 2016, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've seen some 'reputable tuners' work as well and they couldn't get SD to work properly. Sad that people simply don't want to believe that their tuner isn't as good as they believe. SD is not the easiest thing to learn or tune but I will tell you that you need to get a second opinion from someone such as Aaron at English Racing.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 04:22 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8426
I've seen some 'reputable tuners' work as well and they couldn't get SD to work properly. Sad that people simply don't want to believe that their tuner isn't as good as they believe. SD is not the easiest thing to learn or tune but I will tell you that you need to get a second opinion from someone such as Aaron at English Racing.
Agreed. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes something simple can be overlooked by one and picked up by another. It doesn't mean either is a bad tuner, just how it is.