Notices
ECU Flash

How do you use the fuel temp sensor for SD tuning

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
How do you use the fuel temp sensor for SD tuning

So I think I am ready to convert to speed density I have seen many times how people like using the fuel temp sensor since it is already in the car for speed density.
But no one really says how you go about doing it using the fuel temp sensor over the GM AIT sensor being welded in that is.

I have searched the forum a lot looking for a guide but no luck on it all I can find is how people like it better Google doesn't bring up a lot either in the subject
Old Sep 28, 2016, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I could be wrong, but the Fuel Temp Sensor, is at the tank. I am not sure how they are using it conjunction with what your asking either. Be interesting if someone posts up some good data on this. I am very curious.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

I'm pretty sure it's in the tank also but I have now seen it brought up in many posts that it works just as good as having a GM IAT sensor being welded in just much easier to do since it's one less part you have to deal with.
But again I have not found anyone saying how you go about swapping to SD using it just that it can be done
Old Sep 29, 2016, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ml#post9263776

[EDIT]
The above link has a reference to how to use either the fuel temp sensor, or the IAT sensor as input for the MAT.

My car has used the fuel temp sensor for years now, it seems to work just fine. There is a side effect I've recently noticed (just started logging MAT). the longer you drive, the warmer the fuel gets. On a hot day I've seen the fuel temp sensor report 20-30 degrees higher than ambient temps. This is most noticeable when the fuel tank is lower than 1/4.

I'm actually thinking about switching to IAT for MAT and see what the difference is. (if any)

John-

[/EDIT]

Last edited by JohnnyTSi; Sep 29, 2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
From what I've read the only drawback to using your IAT is the sensor getting heatsoaked and causing starting issues. The work around to this is to install the sensor right after the intercooler where hot engine temps won't affect it.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyTSi
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ml#post9263776

[EDIT]
The above link has a reference to how to use either the fuel temp sensor, or the IAT sensor as input for the MAT.

My car has used the fuel temp sensor for years now, it seems to work just fine. There is a side effect I've recently noticed (just started logging MAT). the longer you drive, the warmer the fuel gets. On a hot day I've seen the fuel temp sensor report 20-30 degrees higher than ambient temps. This is most noticeable when the fuel tank is lower than 1/4.

I'm actually thinking about switching to IAT for MAT and see what the difference is. (if any)

John-

[/EDIT]
Thank you for posting that I don't know how I overlooked that in the thread with the fuel temps changing do you notice any power loss or anything like that ?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Klaiceps
From what I've read the only drawback to using your IAT is the sensor getting heatsoaked and causing starting issues. The work around to this is to install the sensor right after the intercooler where hot engine temps won't affect it.

hmmm, Thanks for the heads up on this challenge, as luck would have it, my IAT bung is up by the throttle body.

Originally Posted by Evo_Goodness
Thank you for posting that I don't know how I overlooked that in the thread with the fuel temps changing do you notice any power loss or anything like that ?

At the 600+ whp level, the butt dyno is a bit challenged to notice. Every once in a while, I do get some unexpected knock on an otherwise solid tune. During my hunt for cause, I started logging MAT temp and noticed the odd rising fuel temps. I haven't yet positively correlated the fuel temp rise with the knock, its just a possible contributor.

My car has been using fuel temp on my SD tune for years, it is definitely a useable option.

John-
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Well I'm not at 600whp maybe next year after I free up some funds the wife said I can give my baby new guts so a built 2.0 it will be with in thinking FP Red/FP Black not sure on which turbo yet pretty limeted to 92OCT we have E85 but the closest station is 40 miles from me so not really logical lol...

Thinking an FP black built bottom end some head work and maybe an AEM meth kit might tip me into 500 is my plan but who knows