Notices
ECU Flash

Low Load @ 24 LBS of boost. 230 Max in logs...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2016, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Raceghost
So you only hit 1600HZ and below? Post up your MAF Pulse and MAF Compensation tables please?

Worthy of note, if you see who helped me tune the car, and recognize that he is one of the GodFathers of tuning the EVO... I would think that his rescaling and units are pretty correct. Can anyone give a explanation of why they would be off?

Thanks in advance.
Yes 1610 hz max on the maf table.

Ill snap a picture with my phone since my laptop wont screen shot. When i get back to the shop after the holiday.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Yes 1610 hz max on the maf table.
Your table is scaled wrong Bub. Look for a similar post with explanation from Merlin.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 03:09 PM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
1600 Hz is only the max Hz that the logger reports.
If you were to use a frequency counter instead of a data log you 'd see that the Hz count goes a lot higher before fuel cut.
But anyway, rescaling it changes the reported load value.

Plus being at altitude complicated it a bit.........it's not a MAF either, never has been.
It's air volume that's measured, not mass. The baro sensor and temp sensor need to be factored in to get mass.

So 21 pounds boost?
Is that 21 pounds on top of 1 atmosphere or is it 21 pounds on top of 12.5 PSI?
Old Nov 23, 2016, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Are you referring to EvoScan? My Evoscan logs upto 2700HZ even prior to rescaling MAF.

Please elaborate, as I have asked earlier. An example formula would be nice.

Plus being at altitude complicated it a bit.........it's not a MAF either, never has been.
It's air volume that's measured, not mass. The baro sensor and temp sensor need to be factored in to get mass.
I'm all about new understanding. Please elaborate on this more. Can we rescale or lay out tables better for more accurate measurements?

So 21 pounds boost?
Is that 21 pounds on top of 1 atmosphere or is it 21 pounds on top of 12.5 PSI?
My BDE Table is set to 24.5 PSI and 30.1 PSI, Main/ALT respectively.
My Boost Adder Table is set to 12.5 PSI.
I used the ECU Based Boost Control Sticky done by MFRed I believe on this setup.

Sounds like I need a quick dissertation from you on putting all this together for what you are saying, if you can please. Also, seems like your relatively new to the Forum. Not discrediting you, but I don't necessarily know your background with the EVO and tuning practices. I'm looking for more in depth explanations with what your suggesting.

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 27, 2016, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

You messed up the load figure due to MAF rescaling.
Load is Hz/RPM
If you were to use a frequency counter instead of a data log you 'd see that the Hz count goes a lot higher before fuel cut.

So I think I understand what you are saying. Prior to the rescale, my load figures seemed more accurate.

I will be running some test with theoretical scaling values in the MAF Scaling table vs MAF Adder table. It seems the MAF Adder table is just that, it adds fuel, not load calcs...
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

So I think I understand what you are saying. Prior to the rescale, my load figures seemed more accurate.

I will be running some test with theoretical scaling values in the MAF Scaling table vs MAF Adder table. It seems the MAF Adder table is just that, it adds fuel, not load calcs...
No Dice. While it did bring the 1 Byte Load, and 2 Byte load values with in 5 units of each other, it still read low. 1byte before rescale was in the 300's, and 2 byte was as high as 245. However, after rescaling, the load values diminished, and were both at approx 230.

Back to the drawing board.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

I wonder if this has anything to do with it???

Old Dec 2, 2016, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Raceghost
I wonder if this has anything to do with it???

I dont think that would cause load reading issues.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

I dont think that would cause load reading issues.
If it is caused by blowby, then theoretically the detonation within the cylinder would not be as strong, therefore not reaching higher loads?

Thoughts?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Nah man, your over thinking your situation.

Like i said i have stock maf setting fp 84mm inlet turbo and intake.

I can send you my hex file if youd like . Im 280 load around 29 psi
Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

I can send you my hex file if you'd like . Im 280 load around 29 psi
Sure, would not mind taking a gander.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 09:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the PCV was disconnected you may run a little lean, also will throw off load, although not by too much. The pcv disconnected like that would screw up your values for anything 0psi-vacuum. As soon as you see boost if the PCV is working properly...the valve would close and load should be accurate. Under vacuum you are allowing un-metered air into the system which would make you run a little lean. Why did you do a re-scale? Also a value of 1.4 on the 1-byte factor should allow you to read up to 360 load I believe. Also the MAF is the way the ECU computes load on a non SD car. I am pretty sure your scaling is incorrect.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

If the PCV was disconnected you may run a little lean, also will throw off load, although not by too much. The pcv disconnected like that would screw up your values for anything 0psi-vacuum. As soon as you see boost if the PCV is working properly...the valve would close and load should be accurate. Under vacuum you are allowing un-metered air into the system which would make you run a little lean.
Won't argue with you there. Though I had another issue affecting this. My Exhaust Manifold was leaking. All lower bolts needed retorqued. Load, Airflow, and Boost seem correct now. However, still running lean. I have another thread stating the current issues with fueling I can't seem to find. Take a look at it. It's the unknown issue thread.

As to rescaling the MAF. I have been looking for the proper way to calculate the MAF Units at higher Airflow. Stock stops at 1600 HZ as I am sure you know. Under boost depending on Load and PSI, I see anywhere from 2200 HZ on up to 2600 HZ. SO a rescaling is a must. I had Merlin do the original Calc's on the MAF rescale.

If you have a way to actually calculate the units at specific frequency, I am all ears.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Stock does NOT stop at 1600.
It's only the datalogging output which maxes out there .
The actual Hz keeps on going up.

You can read it with a frequency counter.
Ok, one more time Bud. Your right, on one statment. However, within the ROM definitions, it does stop at 1600 HZ. You have to rescale the ROM to be able to adjust outside of the 1600HZ/232 scaling value. If you do not, the ROM just assumes a 232 value for anything above 1600HZ.

EVOScan will show you HZ all the way up above 1600 HZ. Mine was going to 2300 HZ in logs, even though ROM was not rescaled.

So I ask you again, do you have a way to calculate for the ROM, the ability to figure out what units actually should be in the ROM for a MAF Scaling above 1600 HZ. Can you provide that for me.

Your short vague answers are pissing people off. Be a contributor and educate people, even if it means typing out a full dissertation. This way people can take you seriously.

Thanks in advance. Give us the correct formula for calculations.