Notices
ECU Flash

E85 target afr help.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
Sir, i doubt its the fuel injectors. Isnt fic the best brand for injectors? .

Ive read the 450 wally diy thread here and some say they can lose pressure from hangar.

What about a rewire? Or maybe a faulty relay? For higher loads?

I can punch it and afr does what i want it to do, then im guessing around 20 psi or more it leans.

I can part throttle it to 6k rpm with steady afr. But wot aint having it.
4b11 - All of my cars have FIC injectors , they perform great.

I had a terrible experience tuning them on MAF & pump gas... but thats just me.
Can you please search for FIC 1450 here.

Alternatively you can try this fuel pulse damper and see if it works.

Old Jan 4, 2017, 07:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
Lower the boost all the way and if you are only able to do street runs try and limit the lean afr . Use second gear and only do a partial pull and work your way up. A dyno would be nice to use as well.

Install a fuel pressure gauge and sensor and monitor fuel pressure. Thats an important piece of the puzzle. Radium makes fuel rails kits that are pretty nice and you can install a gauge/sensor in the rail with the stock fpr.

If the fuel pump is on stock wiring check to see if the high/low voltage is working. It will go from low to high voltage with the car stationary if you rev it quickly and make a few pounds of boost. Check it at the pump. IIRC my car makes 8 volts low and 11 volts high.

You could also try another pump and sell it if need be. Walbro makes great products but anything is possible.

Check/swap the FPR although I haven't heard of the stock one going bad but this platform is aging.

Swap Injectors to test. Injector dynamics makes a great product. I've used the 1300/1700's and they perform well but there are alot of options out there. For some WOT is the only concern.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by mines5
4b11 - All of my cars have FIC injectors , they perform great.

I had a terrible experience tuning them on MAF & pump gas... but thats just me.
Can you please search for FIC 1450 here.

Alternatively you can try this fuel pulse damper and see if it works.

Sir i am on ethanol.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Abacus
Lower the boost all the way and if you are only able to do street runs try and limit the lean afr . Use second gear and only do a partial pull and work your way up. A dyno would be nice to use as well.

Install a fuel pressure gauge and sensor and monitor fuel pressure. Thats an important piece of the puzzle. Radium makes fuel rails kits that are pretty nice and you can install a gauge/sensor in the rail with the stock fpr.

If the fuel pump is on stock wiring check to see if the high/low voltage is working. It will go from low to high voltage with the car stationary if you rev it quickly and make a few pounds of boost. Check it at the pump. IIRC my car makes 8 volts low and 11 volts high.

You could also try another pump and sell it if need be. Walbro makes great products but anything is possible.

Check/swap the FPR although I haven't heard of the stock one going bad but this platform is aging.

Swap Injectors to test. Injector dynamics makes a great product. I've used the 1300/1700's and they perform well but there are alot of options out there. For some WOT is the only concern.
Thanks for the advice Abacus.

I just submitted my order ona -6an fuel feed line and also a pump re wire kit.

To test the hi/low can i use evo scan? Or should i back probe something with a dvom?

I will hook up my fuel pressure tester and do a run see what my pressure is dong out up top.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 07:49 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
you should probably do the rewire on the pump too. A rewire is good for a walbro 255, that much more a 450. Make sure to use a hobb switch to trigger the relay.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
you should probably do the rewire on the pump too. A rewire is good for a walbro 255, that much more a 450. Make sure to use a hobb switch to trigger the relay.
Whats up biggie..

Yes i ordered a stm kit but doesnt have a hob?.

Old Jan 4, 2017, 07:58 AM

http://www.spoolinup.com/Hobbs-Switch_p_83.html

One of these guys. It will use boost pressure to trigger the new relay. Doing it with this will preserve the Low/High voltage control the ECU has over the pump. So it can run lower voltages at idle/cruise and not over run the regulator.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.spoolinup.com/Hobbs-Switch_p_83.html

One of these guys. It will use boost pressure to trigger the new relay. Doing it with this will preserve the Low/High voltage control the ECU has over the pump. So it can run lower voltages at idle/cruise and not over run the regulator.
Thanks ill order one asap.
Been reading alot on the wally 450. Seem to have alot of issues..

If all checks out and issue persists. Should i attempt to tune out the lean area via fuel map? Im at 9.0 and max is 7.4. So technically i still have room.

Also would richening up globally "scaling" be something to consider? If so that would ruin my near perfect trims.

And if so would/should i use latency to make up for the fuel added via "scaling" to get trims in check?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 08:19 AM

I would attempt to change the fuel map and see what kind of an effect that has on the AFR's. If you have to go crazy though that could indicate a fuel pressure issue. I am pretty sure you will see it richen up once you do the rewire. The good trims and proper scaling are all done in the Low voltage mode of pump operation. The Rewire (w/ hobbs) will reduce resistance in the high voltage side of the pump circuit and the voltage will be higher to the pump so it will perform better.
The following users liked this post:
4b11slayer (Jan 4, 2017)
Old Jan 4, 2017, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

I would attempt to change the fuel map and see what kind of an effect that has on the AFR's. If you have to go crazy though that could indicate a fuel pressure issue. I am pretty sure you will see it richen up once you do the rewire. The good trims and proper scaling are all done in the Low voltage mode of pump operation. The Rewire (w/ hobbs) will reduce resistance in the high voltage side of the pump circuit and the voltage will be higher to the pump so it will perform better.
Thanks