Notices

Rich When Returning to Idle/Upshift

Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rich When Returning to Idle/Upshift

Hey all,

2013 Evo X MR, e-tuned by a reputable tuner over a year ago. Some time after the tune, car was annoyingly inconsistent in daily drivability in normal mode. Sometimes it seemed fine, sometimes it would bog when shifting, no power, etc, not go full lean on coast down, rich AF's, lean AF's...all over the place. I've recently changed out the Cosworth drop in with a K&N, and found a boost leak at the T on the BOV line which runs to my boost gauge. The leak only showed up when I messed with the T during the boost leak test, so I assume that's why the car was inconsistent before...sometimes it would leak, sometimes it would not.

After fixing the leak and rescaling the MAF using Tuner helper, the car runs a lot better and I'm happy with it. The issue, which may not be an issue, that I see now is that whenever I come to a stop, the car will hang rich (~10) for a bit before it starts climbing back up to around 14.7. I also noticed on upshifts in manual mode it does the same thing, but it reacts faster. I do not remember it doing this before fixing the leak. Swapped relay's to make sure it's not a relay issue. I've done a bunch of searching which points to something in possible Fuel Calibration tables, Lower Bound Shift tables, fuel relay cross over, or decel enrichment...so I was hoping to get some advice on where to start before I start trying to fix the issue.

Log - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-...khjTXJLQzVsVDA
Old Mar 27, 2019, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by phoenixforce
Hey all,

2013 Evo X MR, e-tuned by a reputable tuner over a year ago. Some time after the tune, car was annoyingly inconsistent in daily drivability in normal mode. Sometimes it seemed fine, sometimes it would bog when shifting, no power, etc, not go full lean on coast down, rich AF's, lean AF's...all over the place. I've recently changed out the Cosworth drop in with a K&N, and found a boost leak at the T on the BOV line which runs to my boost gauge. The leak only showed up when I messed with the T during the boost leak test, so I assume that's why the car was inconsistent before...sometimes it would leak, sometimes it would not.

After fixing the leak and rescaling the MAF using Tuner helper, the car runs a lot better and I'm happy with it. The issue, which may not be an issue, that I see now is that whenever I come to a stop, the car will hang rich (~10) for a bit before it starts climbing back up to around 14.7. I also noticed on upshifts in manual mode it does the same thing, but it reacts faster. I do not remember it doing this before fixing the leak. Swapped relay's to make sure it's not a relay issue. I've done a bunch of searching which points to something in possible Fuel Calibration tables, Lower Bound Shift tables, fuel relay cross over, or decel enrichment...so I was hoping to get some advice on where to start before I start trying to fix the issue.

Log - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-...khjTXJLQzVsVDA

Good to know I'm not the only one with this issue. Were you able to figure out what was going on?
Thanks a lot.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never solved the issue with the car going rich when returning to idle. Some other threads indicated it might be normal, but were quite old and possibly outdated in regards to tuning. I could never find a map that would change the behavior. I assume you could lean out the fuel calibration map massively in the area to compensate but didn't think that was a good idea.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by phoenixforce
Never solved the issue with the car going rich when returning to idle. Some other threads indicated it might be normal, but were quite old and possibly outdated in regards to tuning. I could never find a map that would change the behavior. I assume you could lean out the fuel calibration map massively in the area to compensate but didn't think that was a good idea.
Nope, at calibration fuel map is not a good idea at all. I tried and no changes. I'm trying by now bring the RPM up on TPS maps. It doesn't change the amount of fuel being injected when going out of overrun, but as the engine is running higher RPMs, it should compensate a little. First tests brought the AFRs to 11.8 instead of 9.9 or 10. I'll keep testing.