Notices
ECU Flash

Been M.I.A. for a while. Could use some help.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been M.I.A. for a while. Could use some help.

Hey guys,

Back to the evo scene finally. Trying to get my car scituated. Have a new build going on and car is together but won't fire.

What I need help with here is reading my ROM. I know I'm not set up right some where im guessing but can't figure it out.

I have the rom saved if anyone could tell me what one it is would be great.

Also if anyone knows if I'm supposed to have to add anything to evo scan to log correctly also ?
Attached Files
File Type: zip
cannot read rom.zip (116.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Evo8Emperor; Aug 18, 2017 at 11:59 PM. Reason: got file attached as .zip
Old Aug 19, 2017, 02:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its a Tephra V7 94170715, hopefully who ever did the tune paid out to Tephra for the ROM work. You will need the definition file for this ROM of course.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
cannot read rom-decoded.zip (121.3 KB, 0 views)
Old Aug 19, 2017, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

hmm thank you sir.

question for ya. So why is I can open that ROM up now in Ecuflash correctly versus when i was trying to pull it open at car ?

I had already made the changes to the directory and still wouldn't open it. Now it opens fine meaning that my Ecuflash rommetadata is correct i assume ?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 07:14 AM

Had a similar issue with a friends evo x. If you downloaded and place the xml file in the rommetadata folder, then yes. That is the reason it is opening now and not earlier.

If ecuflash does not have a xml to source from, then it will not be able to read the rom. And it will ask you to define the custom rom.

Hope this helps
Old Aug 19, 2017, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Kinda sorta. lol.

So ill elaborate on it a little.

Yes at first I did not have the rommetadata folder updated with the new xmls. Totally forgot all that was involved.

Then I updated it and tried to read my rom after reading the ecu successfully but i was still getting the unknown rom image.

Now since then I have deleted Ecuflash and re-did the folder. But trying to open up the saved rom file i couldn't read it.

I downloaded the decoded one that burgers hooked me up with and with out changing anything opened it up in EcuFlash just fine.

So if its opening up in Ecuflash I should be able to pull rom of computer and read it now im assuming. Have to get over to car to find out.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

ok heres another one to run by ya.

So I have my original ecu and one I picked up because a shop told me my original was bad because car wasn't starting.

Come to find out car had grounds not connected everywhere and what not else so now im trying everything from square one.

Question being what xml file would i need to open up a old tephra modified rom ? Not sure what version I was even on then.

I tried to read both ecus and it connects just fine and downloads rom but both were giving me the unknown rom image.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 08:15 AM

I see what you mean, I tried to open it and had the same error. hopefully the ecu wasn't tuned with another software. But I do not think that's the case.

Try to pull the rom from the vehicle again, there may have been a issue pulling the rom the first time with the grounds not being intact.

Usually when the rom is good but undefined, it will ask you to define it. Also make sure your settings are set to developer.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

The tuner had change the ROM ID to 94172715 from 93172705 to protect their tune, which is fair enough. I would hope long term users here understand and respect the commercial work. This is a pretty basic tune so I didn't see much harm in posting it up.

BTW what are you using for boost control?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:41 AM

Protecting intellectual property makes sense and i respect it.
On the other hand. I also lost my immobilizer code because of it

You should be able to create a xml file to open the rom and get the tables.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:50 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
In this context I disagree with the idea of locking out the end user. This falls squarely in the domain of right to repair. How are you suppose to ever troubleshoot/repair your car if your locked out. IMO you own it, you paid the tuner to create this code for you. They own the methods they used to create the end product. If this was something like an off the shelf tune for the masses then you can copy write the code and go after anyone who tries to copy and resell or redistribute it. If you don't want them sharing the code, fine make it part of an EULA/contract.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
In this context I disagree with the idea of locking out the end user. This falls squarely in the domain of right to repair. How are you suppose to ever troubleshoot/repair your car if your locked out. IMO you own it, you paid the tuner to create this code for you. They own the methods they used to create the end product. If this was something like an off the shelf tune for the masses then you can copy write the code and go after anyone who tries to copy and resell or redistribute it. If you don't want them sharing the code, fine make it part of an EULA/contract.

I agree 100%

Emperor: I was bored so I edited one for you. Attached is a xml file that will get you started and going.
Attached Files
File Type: xml
TephraMOD-94172715-v7.xml (10.9 KB, 0 views)
Old Aug 21, 2017, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks BigJohnny.

To clarify the tuner already knows i'm in the ecu. Its just a base map in there for the new build anyway.

Honestly I wouldn't care at this point anyway. Paid enough money to have a running car leaving it in a shops hands to handle these issues. Now Im the one who has to figure it out because they can't.

As far as what my issue was Im pretty sure that it was a directory issue and where i saved EcuFlash. I have a solid state hard drive in my laptop and I have two program file directorys. One being just Program Files the other being Program Files (X86).

First time I tried this all i saved to the X86. Right away I was having issues extracting directly to the rommetadata folder in ecuflash so i had to copy n paste xmls. I think that the folder was still not reading the copy n pasted xml's because folder was locked for what ever reason.

So I uninstalled it and reinstalled into the regular program files folder and that's where i tried BigJohnny's undecoded ROM he sent me and it was all good. That was the only thing i changed so Im assuming that was the problem.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

ok I think I need a updated evo 7 base xml now. Not sure if anyone knows if this is normal or not. just updating a fresh laptop again with ecuflash.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Im getting a j2534 error ( no devices available)
Old Aug 22, 2017, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

scratch all that got it. now it seems i have a bad cam sensor. sensors should all be new so i dont get it. not getting a crank reading on start up.

Quick Reply: Been M.I.A. for a while. Could use some help.