Notices
ECU Flash

Emmision fail, OBD2 "not supported"

Old Jun 22, 2017, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Emmision fail, OBD2 "not supported"

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I have played with the tuning on my Evo 9. Everything has been smooth sailing and I haven't had any issues. The car is more or less stock other than larger injectors.

I've searched around a bit and haven't found what I'm looking for and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I live in Denver Colorado and my emmision test is due. I have tested the car before and not had an issue with it passing when they hook up to the obd... The car has the tephra v7 patch. I had all of the settings for emmision related readiness set correct for a forced pass, even though all emmision equipment is in place and functional except the post cat 02 sensor but that is mimicking the correct behavior. Again, I have passed several times with no issues and I haven't even hooked up to the car since before my last test a year ago. Well, I failed this time because it says that the required equipment is not supported. Attached is a picture of the report they handed me.

Any help pointing me in the correct direction would be greatly appreciated. And I'm a bit rusty on everything since it's been so long since I've hooked up so I apologize if I'm overlooking something basic.
Attached Thumbnails Emmision fail, OBD2 "not supported"-14981767529101787450014.jpg  
Old Jun 24, 2017, 08:19 PM

Ok, here is some more info... I need to get this figured out by the end of the month when my plates expire.

So hooking up my generic obd scan tool, all relevant readiness monitors are listed as complete. I hooked up while I was still in the emission parking lot to verify.

I did ask if they were able to read anything while hooked up and they confirmed that they could and that it wasn't just a bad connection.

I called the number listed on the report and only got the speech on how I need to drive the car around to complete the readiness monitors... no help from them on what the "not supported" conflict was.

I am attaching a screen shot of my current settings that allowed me to pass several times in the past with no issues... They must have some new software on their end. One thing that is curious to me is the "eae5" for the part 2 patch. Could that be the issue?
Attached Thumbnails Emmision fail, OBD2 "not supported"-evoset.png  
Old Jun 24, 2017, 08:26 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
i don't know if this is your problem, but for the tests that you have as unavailable you should also have 0's for the pass/no pass table.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:21 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
first of all - what rom do you have?

second- I think you had the same problem that I had, but I solved. I need the rom number though

see my thread here....
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...l#post11603494
Old Jun 25, 2017, 06:12 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Jp7
first of all - what rom do you have?

second- I think you had the same problem that I had, but I solved. I need the rom number though

see my thread here....
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...l#post11603494
oh wow thats interesting, I have a 9417, I didn't even realize there was an issue with other rom ID's.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 06:52 AM

Thank you so much for the input!

ROM ID is 88590715
Old Jun 25, 2017, 05:50 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
oh wow thats interesting, I have a 9417, I didn't even realize there was an issue with other rom ID's.
Originally Posted by pk303
Thank you so much for the input!

ROM ID is 88590715
Yeah - it looks like you have the same rom as I do.

Change your E000 to 4019 and you should be golden.

Scan it with a hand held code reader (Like I have) and be SURE your readiness monitors come out like mine before you go back to the test station.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:15 AM

Ok, I've made the changes and things look much better on my scanner. I do, however want a little more input before I go re test.

My scanner has a menu that I was previously unaware of that lists what is supported or not supported. Everything is listed correct except catalyst... It is listed as "not complete" instead of supported/not supported like all other items. Under the drive cycle menu catalyst is listed as complete fwiw...

Also changing the pass/fail menu to match the available/not available menu results as the items not relevant to the car being listed as "not complete". When I have them all set to "1" (pass) those items, are listed as "complete or n/a". What settings do you think make the most sense?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:40 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Ok, I've made the changes and things look much better on my scanner. I do, however want a little more input before I go re test.

My scanner has a menu that I was previously unaware of that lists what is supported or not supported. Everything is listed correct except catalyst... It is listed as "not complete" instead of supported/not supported like all other items. Under the drive cycle menu catalyst is listed as complete fwiw...

Also changing the pass/fail menu to match the available/not available menu results as the items not relevant to the car being listed as "not complete". When I have them all set to "1" (pass) those items, are listed as "complete or n/a". What settings do you think make the most sense?
I've read your post a few times and it's sorta confusing- maybe it's the wording. Why not show me a picture or make a video of what you mean?

You need to stop worrying about the "1's". For some reason the program (ECU Flash) does not show correctly with regards to this on our evo 9's. My evo 9, and another Evo 9 (some guy from California, I forget who) had the exact same fix. I think you will be number 3.

As far as "not complete" I am a little puzzled. Drive it a little more and see if this becomes complete.

I am by far not the most knowledgeable person to discuss this with. I highly suggest you start posting in a more relevant thread - IE the one I was posting in.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:20 PM

I agree, the wording is confusing. Im at work and don't have everything in front of me but let me try to clarify.

So in the 1st paragraph about my supported/not supported menu. The O2 sensor, heated 02 sensor and evap is all listed as supported. The heated catalyst, air and ac are listed as not supported. The catalyst is listed as "not complete" when I believe (in this menu) it should be listed as supported (or not supported). This is not the same as the drive cycle. Catalyst IS listed as complete in the drive cycle menu.

In the second paragraph, I am thinking that if the pass fail menu is matching the available menu with O2,heated 02, evap and catalyst listed as 1 and heated catalyst, air and ac at 0... The drive cycle menu lists the 0 items as not complete and I'm wondering if that could cause a conflict with their scan. To me it makes more sense when they are all at 1 because the scanner then lists those items as complete or n/a... The n/a is the part that makes more sense in my head than "not complete" for heated catalyst, air and ac.

Hope that helps clarify what I'm seeing. If not I'll post pictures and post in the other thread tonight. I do want to thank you for the help!
Old Jun 29, 2017, 06:19 AM

I passed the test yesterday.
Hooking up to my wife's car I got the same confusing "not complete" under the supported/not supported menu for catalyst. Also under the drive cycles menu the not supported items for her car were listed as complete or n/a.

With that logic I left the pass/fail table as all "1" as I had it before. Really the only change I made was the one suggested change to "4019".

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. When I get a little more time I will post in the other thread and link to this thread to help anyone with this issue in the future
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:08 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Hooking up to my wife's car I got the same confusing "not complete" under the supported/not supported menu for catalyst. Also under the drive cycles menu the not supported items for her car were listed as complete or n/a.

With that logic I left the pass/fail table as all "1" as I had it before. Really the only change I made was the one suggested change to "4019".

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. When I get a little more time I will post in the other thread and link to this thread to help anyone with this issue in the future
You are number 3 now. I wish I could take credit for figuring this out but I was only the first person to use it.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Congrats!! It was a weird issue, but can be surprisingly resolved so easily.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do i turn off the 3 monitors that dont need to be on. I'm currently failing smog because of this.