Notices
ECU Flash

Boost error correction settings causing overboost?

Old Sep 26, 2017, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Boost error correction settings causing overboost?

Hi everyone. I've been slowly mapping my car over the past weeks and months. Slow process because I've been busy plus want to make sure I don't nuke my engine! Anyway, to sort out my boost etc I turned off the error correction, and got the boost and afr to an acceptable base level when doing 4th gear pulls. The issue was when I done 5th or 6th gear pulls I was overboosting. That's where the error correction comes into it. So I look at my 4th gear log, and put the load im seeing into my desired engine load (minus the offset) and then put the error correction settings back to how they are in a stock rom I've got. I went to test it out and 4th gear that was quite reserved before was now overboosting to the point where I don't dare keep my foot down. Is this likely to be because I'm on a 3port ebc now and the standard error correction doesn't apply anymore and is making huge adjustments, or maybe my desired engine load is somehow wrong or something like that?

Sorry for the essay. Any ideas welcome
Old Sep 26, 2017, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Don't let error correction add anything(IE in the negative part of the BEC table, have it be 0's, or there is another table that puts a cap on total upward WGDC, 0 that out). Also keep in mind base WGDC will have to be lower in higher gears.
The following users liked this post:
D1andonlyantman (Sep 26, 2017)
Old Sep 26, 2017, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

That's actually what I done in the end, until I had more of an idea of what's going on. I thought that I should have it set so the the ecu can raise or lower boost to match my desired load. It did occur to me that slightly under-boosting isn't really an issue I'm too worried about, but it's the overboosting in higher gears I needed to avoid. Im on tephra 5.1 at the moment so can't change wgdc per gear
Old Sep 26, 2017, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The issue with its ability to add is it tends to see your boost is low until the turbo spools, but by then it's already jacked the duty way up, hence overboost.

I suppose you could map out the target table so it is happy with what it sees and will not add, but I've never had a problem just setting the base wgdc a few points higher and let it drop it some if needed.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah that makes sense. I'll try a bit of experimenting but very well may just zero it. Thanks for your help