Notices
ECU Flash

idle issues

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:00 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by nor11384
Ok I can give it a try but damn initial position is set to 7. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the isc steps that low while logging. Worth a shot though.
If you take a look at page 128 Section 10.15 of Merlin's tuning guide I think you will see where I am coming from. The value in the table is a static value, what you normally see in your logs is the learned value. All i think i am advocating here is making the learned value much closer to the static one.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Ok so tried everything and its still acting up so i got pissed off and tried 9653 rom. Copied everything over and was finally able to get car started after it not wanting to start. The car idled great and isc steps stayed dead locked at 10 which i never seen before. Now, theres a fueling problem. I had to make map ve 1:1 and rpm factory setting for it to idle stoich. I cant drive it because itll go lean. If i rev it itll go lean as opposed to 9417 where itll richen up. I checked all the settings and it seems fine. Really wanted to try out 9653. ****ing car lol.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Ok so tried everything and its still acting up so i got pissed off and tried 9653 rom. Copied everything over and was finally able to get car started after it not wanting to start. The car idled great and isc steps stayed dead locked at 10 which i never seen before. Now, theres a fueling problem. I had to make map ve 1:1 and rpm factory setting for it to idle stoich. I cant drive it because itll go lean. If i rev it itll go lean as opposed to 9417 where itll richen up. I checked all the settings and it seems fine. Really wanted to try out 9653. ****ing car lol.
Thats really good to know. Personally i like 9653 more, car runs smoother than 9417 (my experience) .
Now i feel it is a matter of tuning it step by step. Tune it from scratch you will be happier.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

I was looking over the map last night and I think I found the problem. In my haste copying everything over I copied the maf compensation settings from 9417. 9417 uses % and 9653 uses g/s. The numbers ended up being cut by half lol. I will try it again today.

Now this is going to sound dumb because by now I should know this but maybe I’m just overloaded with work and trying to figure this **** out. The way I would always tune the map ve and rom ve tables was I would look at load and make changes on the right side of table. For example, let’s say at idle it’s at 36 load on evoscan and I wanted to go richer. Let’s say map ve is as follows on left side : 20, 39.9, 50, 80, etc. Since idle is showing 36 load I would raise value on right hand side at the 20kpa. The other day I realized this didn’t make any changes. I looked at barometer(kpa) on evoscan and it was reading 58. So I made changes to the right hand side of where the 50 is in map ve and afr changes for idle. Have I been doing this wrong the whole time? Was I supposed to be logging kpa on evoscan to make changes to the ve tables? Maybe it’s because I changed the left hand side of the table from original values? Sorry for the long post just didn’t want to make a whole new thread for this. I’ll report back on 9653.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

I was looking over the map last night and I think I found the problem. In my haste copying everything over I copied the maf compensation settings from 9417. 9417 uses % and 9653 uses g/s. The numbers ended up being cut by half lol. I will try it again today.

Now this is going to sound dumb because by now I should know this but maybe I’m just overloaded with work and trying to figure this **** out. The way I would always tune the map ve and rom ve tables was I would look at load and make changes on the right side of table. For example, let’s say at idle it’s at 36 load on evoscan and I wanted to go richer. Let’s say map ve is as follows on left side : 20, 39.9, 50, 80, etc. Since idle is showing 36 load I would raise value on right hand side at the 20kpa. The other day I realized this didn’t make any changes. I looked at barometer(kpa) on evoscan and it was reading 58. So I made changes to the right hand side of where the 50 is in map ve and afr changes for idle. Have I been doing this wrong the whole time? Was I supposed to be logging kpa on evoscan to make changes to the ve tables? Maybe it’s because I changed the left hand side of the table from original values? Sorry for the long post just didn’t want to make a whole new thread for this. I’ll report back on 9653.
So you never logged KPA ? ummm
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

I never payed attention to it. I always thought what I had log and go by was load and make changes to ve according to load. I realized one day that the map ve table said kpa on the left hand side of the column and it hit me that maybe I should be going by kpa to make changes to ve instead of load. Am I right? Sorry I’ve just been learning all this on my own with the help of a friend on here but I think on that I misunderstood him. So am I right in thinking that I should be logging kpa and making changes to the right hand side of the column according to the numbers that the readings fall in on the left hand side? If that makes any sense?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

I never payed attention to it. I always thought what I had log and go by was load and make changes to ve according to load. I realized one day that the map ve table said kpa on the left hand side of the column and it hit me that maybe I should be going by kpa to make changes to ve instead of load. Am I right? Sorry I’ve just been learning all this on my own with the help of a friend on here but I think on that I misunderstood him. So am I right in thinking that I should be logging kpa and making changes to the right hand side of the column according to the numbers that the readings fall in on the left hand side? If that makes any sense?
Yes, Log KPA and make changes accordingly to the MAP VE table.
Its nice to see how a little brain storming can do lol
Old Aug 6, 2018, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Lol yeah. I’ve been playing around with 9653. I think I like it better but I tried closed loop and I have the same lean tip in. Take off is horrible goes full lean. I’ve read so many threads on here I think I know this forum by heart. Tried every async table, fuel map, hz, everything. Idk just can’t figure it out. Open loop it is I guess.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I have it set at 950 and sometimes it’ll drop to about 900 and go as high as 1100.
This could be a few things.
So should I adjust biss with sas to get it down to 7 steps?
Use the EVOSCAN SAS actuator, and set the idle to 900 on the nose. Then release SAS and watch what it does. Then log the STEPS within EVOSCAN and see where they are. I believe when everything is heat soaked, the engine shoots for 1000 RPM and step adder adds 18 steps to the target, so 7 + 18 should see around 25 steps logged. If not and you see around 7~15, your ok. Let it idle for a bit and just watch steps in correlation to idle and notate what it does, and report back. You might want to start a new thread, and move a couple of these chats between you and I to there.. That way we dont get off topic of this thread.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:50 AM
Evolved Member

Ditch the 9653 and move to the better 94170715 ROM. It is hands down the best American EVO 8 rom out there. Know it by heart. The 9653 Rom is Euro Spec, and they don't have what we have because of the USDM Market and Emissions BS the US has. Car will run better on the 0715 ROM, I know, I have completely tested both back in the days when they were released.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

You’re talking about the 9417 rom? I’ve always been on that rom. I figured I’d try the 9653 because it has a lot more async stuff and options the 9417 doesn’t have. This was in hopes of getting the car running with closed loop. I can’t get rid of the lean tip in no matter what I do. Also, I’ve found the 9417 to be inconsistent. It feels like one day it does one thing and then another day it changes idk.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Lean TIp in is not with Asynch stiff, look in Throttle Enrich, TPS Delta.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah i messed with async vs tps delta. I jacked it way up and nothing. What do you mean by throttle enrich? What table are you referring to?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Look for throttle enrichment tables under global fuel... I would try 1.6 in the Throttle enrich vs TPS Delta. I gave you three tables to play with all labeled throttle enrichment.
Attached Files
File Type: xml
94170715.xml (78.6 KB, 0 views)
Old Aug 11, 2018, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you for that raceghost. The only new table here is the throttle enrichment min tps delta. The other 2 i have it and nothing worked. In the screenshot you can see the ones i already had vs the ones you gave me. The address are the same.

Quick Reply: idle issues