Notices
ECU Flash

Rolling "Anti-Lag"/ Launch on Stock ECU

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rolling "Anti-Lag"/ Launch on Stock ECU

I have searched and found that Tehpra had mentioned working on adding a form of rolling "anti-lag" / rolling launch to the stock ecu.

I am wanting to know if it could be possible use Alt maps in a current version of Tephra mod and rather than wiring a physical 2 position switch, if you could wire a momentary switch. In the alt maps use retarded timing to reduce power and pass fuel through to spool turbo (with WOT)?

I have seen that similar is done with Subaru's by utilizing a switch to break their maf connection defaulting to a -40 deg table they tune the timing down on.

Perhaps I am nuts? ... let me know
Old Jan 6, 2019, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Well, I'd say a dreamer rather than nuts Two routes to produce anti lag, Secondary Air System which is included in most JDM & EDM Evos, however the current rom development & perhaps the factory hardware are not good enough to deliver enough air/fuel mixture to produce positive boost like in WRC/Group-A Evos. The second route would be classic, standalone style anti lag in which requires substantial negative timing, ignition cut, separate fuel table & most important a throttle kick. A throttle kick is the most important anti lag prerequisite since it allows enough air/fuel in to produce boost. Subarus have the 'Group N rom' which includes some factory code to operate anti lag including rotational idle capability to enable a throttle kick! You can kick throttle open to around 2500rpm & the rotational idle would prevent RPM from raising & hitting the rev limit. That's basically what we are missing in Evo roms.
The new Turbosmart anti lag valve looks promising, being a secondary air type of system, it might work with our stock ECU, providing that the limit of -20 retard is good enough to produce the needed air fuel mixture.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 01:45 PM

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Acuality
I have searched and found that Tehpra had mentioned working on adding a form of rolling "anti-lag" / rolling launch to the stock ecu.

I am wanting to know if it could be possible use Alt maps in a current version of Tephra mod and rather than wiring a physical 2 position switch, if you could wire a momentary switch. In the alt maps use retarded timing to reduce power and pass fuel through to spool turbo (with WOT)?

I have seen that similar is done with Subaru's by utilizing a switch to break their maf connection defaulting to a -40 deg table they tune the timing down on.

Perhaps I am nuts? ... let me know
Yup, you can use alt maps and switch for rolling launch. But spark timing is const and not quite suitable for this. -40 is very agressive and you lose in speed. Also need use fuel cut or spark cut.
I use -10* -25* for rolling launch.
May be it`s help

Originally Posted by foxbat
Well, I'd say a dreamer rather than nuts Two routes to produce anti lag, Secondary Air System which is included in most JDM & EDM Evos, however the current rom development & perhaps the factory hardware are not good enough to deliver enough air/fuel mixture to produce positive boost like in WRC/Group-A Evos. The second route would be classic, standalone style anti lag in which requires substantial negative timing, ignition cut, separate fuel table & most important a throttle kick. A throttle kick is the most important anti lag prerequisite since it allows enough air/fuel in to produce boost. Subarus have the 'Group N rom' which includes some factory code to operate anti lag including rotational idle capability to enable a throttle kick! You can kick throttle open to around 2500rpm & the rotational idle would prevent RPM from raising & hitting the rev limit. That's basically what we are missing in Evo roms.
The new Turbosmart anti lag valve looks promising, being a secondary air type of system, it might work with our stock ECU, providing that the limit of -20 retard is good enough to produce the needed air fuel mixture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6o2Nir4vQM
I`m currently work on same stuff. But I don't really need antilag, so I use it as throttle kick.

The flow capacity of the stock flange is restrictive and I plan to redo it. Or maybe use electric bypass valve
Old Jan 6, 2019, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You mean that you're using the SAS hardware as a throttle kick? But that in conjunction with an aftermarket ECU anti lag.... correct?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 02:38 PM

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by foxbat
You mean that you're using the SAS hardware as a throttle kick? But that in conjunction with an aftermarket ECU anti lag.... correct?
Nope, on stock ecu. I don`t like throttle kicker, because it`s change tps value
Old Jan 6, 2019, 06:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for responses,
@pisyakot
looks like your rom and evo is for outside us (Russia) so it actually has anti-lag functionality. unfortunately our don't have those tables in the US.

And I realize what I was suggesting is not a true "rally style antilag" having no air bypass. but more appropriately a throttle kick like you mentioned

you all brought up a good point though needing fuel or spark cut. as I don't know how spark cut would be done on stock ecu, as not even the 2step is spark cut. I would guess we would need to do fuel cut. but there really is only the fuel map for the "alt maps" and not an alt fuel cut value. so aside from putting absurd values in fuel map,which wouldnt really work because we need excess fuel to burn in off in turbine I think that means it isn't possible without other features to be added to the rom such as spark cut. (IF the retard of timing limit is enough)

I think that recently a person was working on and released doing exactly that for stock ECU on evo X... but doesn't help us.

=(

thanks for the input though
The following users liked this post:
Tommyfacekicker (Aug 13, 2019)