ECU Flash

Car starts up fine and idles but then dies unless I hit throttle

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car starts up fine and idles but then dies unless I hit throttle

This is on cold starts only.

Ok my issue is that when I cold start the car my car idles fine but then after few seconds it wants to die unless I hit the throttle.

Tephra v7 ROM: 94170715

My mods are:
FiTronic flex fuel Speed density tune
3.5 SD STM intake with cone
1220 FIC injectors
255 walbro fuel pump
Coil on plug kit from JD Custom
STM Short route UICP with TIAL Q
STM LICP
ETS 3.5 inch intercooler
3-port grimspeed boost controller
TB seals done with milspec

DC sports downpipe with cat delete
Greddy Ti-C catback exhaust
Stock Evo 8 turbo
Stock Evo 8 cams
OMNI 4Bar Map sensor

I came across this thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...cv-tables.html and think it has to do with the 3rd set of tables but I am not sure which values to change. I found the Post-Cranking IPW Enrichment Adder #1 & #2 for fuel (as attached in the picture) but not the ISCV Post-Cranking Demand Adder table(I searched for it in the 94170715 rom by looking up the tables address(4316) in the XML but its not there.

Any advice as to how to fix my cold start so I don't have to blip my throttle on cold starts to prevent the car from dying?

Old Feb 10, 2019, 02:23 AM
Evolving Member

Ok I just copied the whole tables out of the linked post and put them in my rom and now everything shows up as in the linked thread, with the values being near identical. Now my question is how to go about adjusting them to fix my problem? Increase them but by how much? Which cells to increase? Once I start the car it runs for a few seconds then tries to die unless I blip throttle like I said. In my start up logs it tries to die when the coolant temps are at 33F so do I increase them: all the cells or just the problem area ones? But do I add more fuel or add more ISCV steps or both? The afrs in my log increase and get leaner from the start up to the point when it wants to die: which means that I guess I have to add more fuel?

The car runs for about 14 seconds before attempting to stall looking at the log.

Last edited by TomekEVO; Feb 10, 2019 at 02:32 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 07:56 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
well if it is dying while under post cranking demand adder influence then you should add demand to that table. If however its dying while transitioning from post cranking demand to the initial demand table then you can raise initial demand at that temp to see if it helps. Tuning is kind of trial and error, so just try changing stuff and see how the car reacts. Keep track of what your doing though so you can walk it back. FYI though increasing initial demand table will influence the other two tables and you might have to lower those a bit to keep from getting a really high idle when starting.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
well if it is dying while under post cranking demand adder influence then you should add demand to that table. If however its dying while transitioning from post cranking demand to the initial demand table then you can raise initial demand at that temp to see if it helps. Tuning is kind of trial and error, so just try changing stuff and see how the car reacts. Keep track of what your doing though so you can walk it back. FYI though increasing initial demand table will influence the other two tables and you might have to lower those a bit to keep from getting a really high idle when starting.

I have included a cold start up log where the car tries to stall but I hit the throttle(indicated by the TPS increasing) Maybe you can point me further in the right direction.

Another question I have is that there are 2 tables for Post-Cranking IPW Enrichment Adder which table do I edit? Same for IPW Enrichment vs. Coolant Temp
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
coldstartuplog.xlsx (567.2 KB, 0 views)
Old Feb 10, 2019, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who tuned your car?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by darrell
Who tuned your car?
TSComp. Never going back there
Old Feb 10, 2019, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

I also found out that when I edit IPW multiplier vs Coolant temp #1 tables, the tables for MAF vs coolant temp #1 change but very weird Post primer enrich #2 change as well

Does anyone think that there is an address problem that is causing the issue I am having? I know that the IPW multiplier vs Coolant temp #1 the tables for MAF vs coolant temp #1 change the same parameters but why is the Post primer enrich #2 table changing when when I edit the #1 tables for IPW multiplier vs Coolant temp and MAF vs coolant temp
Old Feb 11, 2019, 07:28 AM
OX
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TomekEVO
TSComp. Never going back there
So he won't fix it, was thinking of going there for SD tune soon?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by OX
So he won't fix it, was thinking of going there for SD tune soon?
He said he would but his communication is very bad and I been having this issue since mid November. Contacted another tuner and he has helped me improve one of my issues so far within a day and sent me another rom to combat the other issue I been having for free... Save your self the headache and go somewhere else, where in Central Jersey are you? I live here as well.