Notices
ECU Flash

Whats the max timing to run on evo 8 cams?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the max timing to run on evo 8 cams?

Hello my names Dylan, I have a built 2.0L block with wiseco 1400d’s and manely TT rods. The head on the car is stock... Don’t ask why, im getting cams eventually. The car has all bolt ons and and running RC 1000cc injectors (yes I know I need to go bigger) Dw 350Lph fuel pump and a Shearer t3 manifold with a BW SXE-362. Im kinda interested to see what the cars going to be like on stock evo 8 cams even tho it’s gonna be absurdly laggy. Anyways Ive been tuning my own cars for awhile, does anyone know what I should not advance my timing past? Im on e85 and not pump gas but i don’t wanna do anything stupid. Thanks.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I'll let the more seasoned guys chime in. However, there is a whole timing map thread dedicated to different timing maps (admittedly some are not that great) its a good place to start. As I'm sure you know every car is going to very slightly.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
I'll let the more seasoned guys chime in. However, there is a whole timing map thread dedicated to different timing maps (admittedly some are not that great) its a good place to start. As I'm sure you know every car is going to very slightly.
Evo 8 doesn't have cam timing maps, he's probably referring to cam gear settings.
OP, ideally you should start at 0,0 and Dyno at Max advance and max retard to see what it does to your power curve. If you're gonna get cams anyway, just get cams and then tune them. Another option is to just look up what cam advance settings people are running with similar setups. This will get you in the ballpark of where you need to be.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Fox_IX
Evo 8 doesn't have cam timing maps, he's probably referring to cam gear settings.
OP, ideally you should start at 0,0 and Dyno at Max advance and max retard to see what it does to your power curve. If you're gonna get cams anyway, just get cams and then tune them. Another option is to just look up what cam advance settings people are running with similar setups. This will get you in the ballpark of where you need to be.
Im running tephra v7 and there are ignition/timing maps. This is what im referring to, I still have the oem cam gears and not aftermarket adjustable ones. Maybe im the one confused but there are definintly ignition maps just like there are fuel maps.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:51 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
The OEM JDM timing map is set up for better fuel then we have so I took inspiration from that when doing my E85 timing.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dylan Tenney
Im running tephra v7 and there are ignition/timing maps. This is what im referring to, I still have the oem cam gears and not aftermarket adjustable ones. Maybe im the one confused but there are definintly ignition maps just like there are fuel maps.
Cam timing is different from ignition timing. All modern EFI cars have ignition maps. Where you referring to max ignition advance? I read your post as cam timing for Evo 8.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fox_IX
Cam timing is different from ignition timing. All modern EFI cars have ignition maps. Where you referring to max ignition advance? I read your post as cam timing for Evo 8.
Yes i meant ignition advance sorry thats my bad.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 06:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
Less is more in the end. If you can rent a chassis dyno you can get your answers quickly.

These cars like 5-8 @5500 then a ramp up to 12-14 @8000 or so.

Its not how much you can run, its how well it runs per degree of timing.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dylan Tenney
Yes i meant ignition advance sorry thats my bad.
Ah ok, well everyone else knew what you meant so I guess it's my bad haha. Either way, sounds like you have your answer.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Last edited by Teal2nnr; Jul 16, 2019 at 01:23 AM.