EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   ECU Flash (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash-179/)
-   -   P0505 with "super" MIVEC (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash/335567-p0505-super-mivec.html)

tephra Mar 31, 2008 02:58 AM

P0505 with "super" MIVEC

Hey Guys,

I am using the MIVEC map that NJ has in the "How To Tune" thread.

Every now and again I am getting P0505 - Idle control or something! :(

Anyone know how to fix? reduce advance in MIVEC i spose?

Cheers
D

xcuzme Mar 31, 2008 05:54 AM

idle control system malfunction?

if its the same thing as my car (and a few few others), its because your idle control valve is clogged with carbon. you need to get it cleaned out

mines has doing it since about 10000 k's, long before any tuning :)

oldevodude Mar 31, 2008 10:45 AM

If the cleaning thing doesnt work you could lower the advance below 2000 RPM
If your idle speed has gone up then this will help that also.

I did not throw codes but did lower the cells below 2000 to stock values to fix idle issues

tephra Mar 31, 2008 03:33 PM

the car has only done 4000km's so i dont think its dirty... plus it doesn't do it on stock MIVEC!

ill try lowering the advance a little :)

evo828 Apr 3, 2008 12:12 PM

Dave - how many steps do you have on idle stepper when you get the CEL p0505? I've seen this coming when for some reason the desired idle rpm was reached only when the steps to maintain the desired idle RPM were outside of the range (the base is set in one of the Desired ISCV Initial step). In order to get them match - you need to open/close the BISS screw. Then follow the learning procedure - warm up the engine, disconnect battery, connect, run on idle for cca 4-5 minutes until he idle goes through the learning cycle.

bnice01 Apr 4, 2008 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by oldevodude (Post 5479708)

I did not throw codes but did lower the cells below 2000 to stock values to fix idle issues

x2 that should fix it

tephra Apr 6, 2008 06:38 PM

ok i have reduced the MIVEC around the idle cell's lets see if that fixes it :)

evo828 Apr 7, 2008 12:51 AM

How much is your ISC showing on idle when you get the CEL ?

tephra Apr 7, 2008 01:36 AM

55 steps normally, not sure at the moment of the CEL...

evo828 Apr 7, 2008 02:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
try to find in the evo9 service manual something like attached (from Evo 8 manual) - you are getting p0505 in case your steps are out of the range as stated there (of course assuming you have the stock values in the desired idle tables).

tephra Apr 7, 2008 03:16 PM

hrmm ok weird - I will log it when I get in the car but so far no CEL with the new MIVCE...

oldevodude Apr 7, 2008 09:56 PM

Well if all that was changed is Mivec and then 505 started showin up we can pretty safely assume Mivec map changes caused it. That said changing the values Should take care of the problem. If cam timing and base iginition timing are too far advanced that might make the ecu think idle stepper is out of range. (just a theory here)

Good Luck Tephra I think you got it m8 {thumbup}

tephra Apr 7, 2008 11:56 PM

well after warming up my car is running 27 steps.. and still no CEL... so guess its mivec related :)

evo828 Apr 8, 2008 12:22 AM

Just to clarify - the super MIVEC caused that in order to maintain the desired idle RPM - the ECU opened the stepper (to 55 steps). As this value is not standard (stock) - the service manual describes some scenarios/conditions which if not fulfilled within certain period - will give this malfunction (CEL).

So yes - changing MIVEC resulted in decreased ISC steps to maintain the desired idle RPM - and now you should not get CEL (as you are close to what I think is the range for Evo9. In case you still get CEL and do not want to change MIVEC further - then you just need to open the BISS screw cca half a turn and reset ECU and go throught the idle learning procedure (cca 5 minutes of running a warm engine on idle).

tephra Apr 8, 2008 05:22 AM

ok piccy of the BISS screw? just for future reference!

thanks by the way :)