EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   ECU Flash (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash-179/)
-   -   Rom swap? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash/398193-rom-swap.html)

japanevo Feb 5, 2009 07:34 PM

Rom swap?

just curious if anyone has had any luck with running different Roms in there cars. i have an EVO8 ecu that had a 92170008 ROM loaded on it originally then loaded 14 and 15 Roms which work but i get a code for the cam and crank sensors. this is installed on a 97 eclipse by the way. right now i am running a 9927 ROM which works but it isn't as well supported with the mods like some of the USDM Roms are. i have tried running both a 9055 and a 9626 both of which will make the car run but i get a CEL for the oxygen sensor with them. i would really like to be able to use some of the features on the us Roms, at the very least be able to log wide-band through the ecu.

Slo_crx1 Feb 7, 2009 10:39 AM

Stick with the original EDM rom, I've been working on using the 9417 USDM version for my friend's eclipse, but the cam and crank sensor codes cause too much of an issue. So far the EDM rom is the only one that doesn't throw those 2 codes, but like you said they aren't widely supported. I'm going to try and adapt some of the patches to the 9927 rom, I want to at least add on the knock light patch, other than that I don't know which other one's would be highly useful on a DSM...maybe NLTS as well but there are some issues with the clutch switch input that a few other people are working on.

japanevo Feb 7, 2009 09:31 PM

i have been looking at similarities between Roms. take a look at 96530006, so far all of the maps that i have looked at are in the same location as the 9927 ROM. i think i have tried the 9653 ROM in my car already but i cant remember for sure. the last two i tried instantly gave a CEL for O2 sensor, and the car ran like garbage. tephra already has the 9653 ROM modded and i am thinking if he already has it modded and all the maps match up to the 9927 ROM..... maybe at the least it will make a good starting point to patch the 9927 rom with. right now i am dealing with an annoying cruse hesitation, car ran fine with the stock ecu in it and as soon as i put in the EVO8 ecu it starts stuttering under cruse conditions. and thats with every ROM i have tryed...

Slo_crx1 Feb 8, 2009 06:54 AM

Ok so it's not a rom issue then, perhaps maf? What maf are you using, stock DSM with the values rescaled or Evo 8 maf? And what are you using to log with?

japanevo Feb 8, 2009 07:40 AM

kind of sort of both... i would like to have the dual map switching option and the CEL flash options, valet and NLTS would be nice also. what i would really like right now is the ability to log my wide-band through the ecu. the logging software for my tech-edge setup has gone on strike and every time i try to log it crashes my laptop. i have both mitsulogger and evoscan, so far mitsulogger works the best as i cant get evoscan's map tracer to work and none of the load log options work, they are always flat-lined. as far as maf is concerned i am using a MAFT gen 2 set to EVO8 and the scaling and smoothing in the ROM are left alone. so as far as the ecu in concerned its installed in an EVO8. it sees an EVO8 maf and has EVO8 injectors, so i didn't really have to mess with anything as far as those are concerned.

wreckleford Feb 8, 2009 08:20 AM

Have you tried 90550001? It has Tephra support and works on my Evo I.

japanevo Feb 8, 2009 08:48 AM

yea, gave it a shot already, get a CEL for O2 sensor...

benpgreen Feb 8, 2009 08:48 AM

On the 00-05 eclipses when I ran the 94170015 rom I had the cam/crank sensor codes as well. All I had to do was change the reluctor wheel for the cam sensor to an evo reluctor and it took care of those codes.

todd6027 Feb 8, 2009 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by japanevo (Post 6667124)
yea, gave it a shot already, get a CEL for O2 sensor...

do you have 4 wire or 2 wire o2 sensor

japanevo Feb 8, 2009 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by benpgreen (Post 6667125)
On the 00-05 eclipses when I ran the 94170015 rom I had the cam/crank sensor codes as well. All I had to do was change the reluctor wheel for the cam sensor to an evo reluctor and it took care of those codes.

where did you get the wheel, something you can pick up from the dealer?

Originally Posted by todd6027 (Post 6667144)
do you have 4 wire or 2 wire o2 sensor

4 wire. wierd thing is i dont get the code when i use the 9417 roms.

wreckleford Feb 8, 2009 07:51 PM

Which o2 code do you get? If it is for the front heater, change the periphery 0 to 16D0. This also eliminates the immobiliser and the rear 02.

japanevo Feb 8, 2009 08:32 PM

P0135. and believe me you can tell the ecu cant find the O2 sensor..... you can smell it......

japanevo Feb 8, 2009 10:05 PM

transmission

OK i did some digging and decided to try it one more time. i had a ROM it to my ecu. starts and runs with no problem. apparently there is something done in tephra's mod that disabled the front O2. looking into it there are a couple differences in the mut table other than 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, and 05, which i believe are 2byte mods. the list of differences are on my laptop down stairs. 40, and 41 to start with. anyway i need to retire for the day, and apparently i need to re boot my machine as i just lost my mouse........

wreckleford Feb 9, 2009 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by japanevo (Post 6669429)
P0135. and believe me you can tell the ecu cant find the O2 sensor..... you can smell it......

P0135 is the heater circuit. Try what I suggested. Also since your 02 might take longer to heat up (the heater function might be disabled with this mod - I don't know because I am doing it on a 2-wire sensor), raise the minimum coolant temp for closed loop to about 80 instead of 20. Drive it for a while and see if it does go into closed loop and start setting the duel trims. If it does go into closed loop and the fuel trims are still wacky, maybe you have a MAF or injector scaling issue.

I have been running the 8 ECU on my 1 for several months with no check lights and it runs in closed loop etc and drives just like it did with the original computer, only thing is more power from more precise tuning{thumbup}

japanevo Feb 9, 2009 08:29 PM

well i have a 96530006 ROM in my car right now and it runs ok......... but no i cant get any of tephra's mods to come up. i had it working fine on my laptop yesterday, could pick all of the options turn on NLTS, valet, etc, etc. today i have nothing........ WTF....... i will mess with it some more and see if i can figure it out..