EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   ECU Flash (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash-179/)
-   -   How does my Log look? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash/570932-how-does-my-log-look.html)

desiromeo812 Aug 22, 2011 08:18 AM

How does my Log look?

4 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,
Did a bit of fine tuning, I cannot get the power to stay up towards the redline. I have included snapshots of my log aswell as a VDR chart.

And I was wondering how does my logged timing look? Any more timing and the car starts to knock ( peak and up top). My AFR is a bit on the lean side due to my injectors maxing out up top. Also if i try to lean out my AFR between 3-5k my car starts to knock. Any suggestions? Does this look safe? From what i know IX's are suppose to run more timing up top. Please advise.

25psi stock turbo tapering to 22.
Helix o2 housing, works DP, Testpipe, RSR exhaust
Boost is being controlled by 3 port solenoid.
Sun Ignition box
Hks Metal Headgasket
Arp Headstuds.

** future mods in couple weeks**
Buschur Deluxe fmic w/Licp
RC1000's
Walbro 255
Hks 272 Cams.

Thank you

killerpenguin21 Aug 22, 2011 09:00 AM

honestly the timing looks like crap. there is no reason to ever see negative timing, as well as timing should increase, never go down as you go up the rev range. im assuming cali=91 octane right?

turn the boost down and put more timing in.

charlie.tunah Aug 22, 2011 09:05 AM

Timing looks WAAAY low. 3 deg at 7k? I bet egt is through the roof.

Also looks like your WGDC needs to be adjusted. Why is Correction pegged at 16?

Id start by checking over everything. Boost leaks, plugs, etc. Something definitely looks off. Also, Im fairly positive that stock inj should be fine for 25-22 on the stock turbo. Maybe the Walbro makes more difference than I thought, but def doesnt seem right to run out of inj with your setup.

charlie.tunah Aug 22, 2011 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21 (Post 9549817)
honestly the timing looks like crap. there is no reason to ever see negative timing, as well as timing should increase, never go down as you go up the rev range. im assuming cali=91 octane right?

turn the boost down and put more timing in.

not sure how it compares to ME 91 oct, but Im now peaking at 25, tapering to 22 and run a min of 2 deg at pk tq up to 14 at redline. Def. think there are mechanical issues that need to be resolved here...

That high of WGDC Correction could also be due to a boost leak and the system is trying to compensate.

BigT Aug 22, 2011 09:20 AM

Also, your injectors should not be running out at that power level. I know you have an Evo 9, but I would install a Walbro 255 for safe measure.

desiromeo812 Aug 22, 2011 09:35 AM

Yes guys this is on 91 octane,

I have checked for boost leaks and have none, Timing is actually set up this way because if i throw any more timing the car starts to knock.

I did read up on high EGT's and that is my primary concern which is why i wanted to double check these numbers.

I will install my Walbro and try to throw more timing at it. And lean out the midrange as im seeing AFr in the 10's

Thx for the help guys

charlie.tunah Aug 22, 2011 11:52 AM

If that is really all the timing that it will take, something is definitely wrong. I know Cali 91 is crap, but it cant be THAT bad.

You still may need to double check mechanical issues. Cam timing, compression check, replace plugs, boost leak test. Installing a Walbro may help if you are indeed running out of injector.

And you think your timing is low now, wait until you put those cams in it...

good luck

surferjeff Aug 22, 2011 12:13 PM

You are running it way too lean and with not enough timing. Which in turn raises the exhaust temps and can melt your valves.

desiromeo812 Aug 22, 2011 12:59 PM

Ok guys,

Sounds good I have made a new Timing map and will try to Get it to run safely... Running about 2* peak torque With all the way up to 6* in the high Rpm range. Also i will upgrade the fuel pump before making any other changes.

As far as mechanical issues:

I have no boost leaks
I have 130 compression in all 4
Maybe spark plugs would help? I replaced my last set about 12k miles ago..

Any other input guys? Also would mivec anyhow effect this? I am using the JDM Rs map

killerpenguin21 Aug 22, 2011 02:13 PM

the JDM mivec could explain the high IDC, as ive seen examples lean out a tune almost a full point.

i would put in the injectors and pump and get the fuel curve where you want it then go after the timing.

ive run out of injector imho on my car at 330/300 on 24psi on 93 octane, but i personally dont like idc's over 100. so its very possible you are truly out of injector in my opinion.

chetrickerman Aug 22, 2011 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by desiromeo812 (Post 9549904)
Yes guys this is on 91 octane,

I have checked for boost leaks and have none, Timing is actually set up this way because if i throw any more timing the car starts to knock.

I did read up on high EGT's and that is my primary concern which is why i wanted to double check these numbers.

I will install my Walbro and try to throw more timing at it. And lean out the midrange as im seeing AFr in the 10's

Thx for the help guys

it starts to knock because you are running too much boost for 91. the most boost i would suggest on 91 at sea level would be 22 psi.

remember, more boost does not always mean more power

you want more than 6* at redline.

i am running 16* at redline, but my boost tapers down to 16 psi

killerpenguin21 Aug 22, 2011 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by chetrickerman (Post 9551498)

remember, more boost does not always mean more power

well...not on 91 for sure :lol:

on 93 ive done ~10whp per poumd. but im trying the whole less boost more timing deal right now.

but overall...yeah i would definitely NOT be running 25psi on 91.

charlie.tunah Aug 23, 2011 03:33 AM

lol...got a buddy running 28psi w/ a holset on 91 on a stock bottom end. Its all in the tune.

My car loves 25 tapering to 22 on 91oct.

The best advice is to just see what works with your setup. If it wont take the timing with those boost levels, then turn it down.

desiromeo812 Aug 23, 2011 07:06 AM

Ok guys i tried throwing some timing at it as well as leaning out the car during spool up. I guess the car wasn't taking any timing because it was too rich? does that sound about right?

I leaned out my whole boost curve to about 11-11.5 AFR because previously i was dipping into low low 10's. Now at peak tq my car is about 1* of timing and in the upper RPM's i had to add fuel and its taking about 5* of timing by redline.

I do get 1 count of knocke here and there, Is that acceptable with 91oct and 25psi? or should i turn down the boost to completely eliminate knock?

chetrickerman Aug 23, 2011 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by charlie.tunah (Post 9552239)
lol...got a buddy running 28psi w/ a holset on 91 on a stock bottom end. Its all in the tune.

My car loves 25 tapering to 22 on 91oct.

The best advice is to just see what works with your setup. If it wont take the timing with those boost levels, then turn it down.

different turbos can run different pressures than others on the same fuel.

when i said 22 psi, that does not apply to all turbos, just stock

Originally Posted by desiromeo812 (Post 9552540)
Ok guys i tried throwing some timing at it as well as leaning out the car during spool up. I guess the car wasn't taking any timing because it was too rich? does that sound about right?

I leaned out my whole boost curve to about 11-11.5 AFR because previously i was dipping into low low 10's. Now at peak tq my car is about 1* of timing and in the upper RPM's i had to add fuel and its taking about 5* of timing by redline.

I do get 1 count of knocke here and there, Is that acceptable with 91oct and 25psi? or should i turn down the boost to completely eliminate knock?

i would say turn the boost down to 22 psi, then see what kind of timing you can get. 1* at peak torque and 5* at redline is still super low timing