EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   ECU Flash (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash-179/)
-   -   I have silly questions... sorry chaps. (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash/571135-i-have-silly-questions-sorry-chaps.html)

ProPilot04 Aug 23, 2011 12:52 PM

I have silly questions... sorry chaps.

Alright... I've been trying to read up, I've been trying to search and I've read through most of the stickies in their entirety (the ones I haven't made it all the way through, I've made a good bit through fwiw). But alas... maybe my questions are misguidedly irrelevant.

1. I was planning on getting my vehicle tuned by a tuner. I've seen mention (specifically by Mellon) that some tuners "lock" your ECU from changes. Would it be worth my time to copy my stock ECU rom onto a hard drive prior to tuning so that I have access to it?

2. MAP Sensors. My tuner didn't (as far as I can recall) mention anything about them. I know the USDM IX MR comes with a 1 port that is basically useless. So a common alternative are the GM 3 port. Do I need this for anything other than logging boost? Would this be a wise investment prior to getting tuned? Should a tuner be aware of this and suggest it? (Tuning through the stock ECU)? The MAP sensor is different than an upgraded EBCS correct? I've purchased a Perrin (second hand) EBCS for the stock boost control.

3. Tephramod... there are some neat features in here that I would be interested in learning to use... different anti-theft devices namely (though I hear they are carrying ECU's with them now :( )... am I able to use this with a tune? Will it mess it up?

4. Will I still be able to log after being tuned via a tactrix cable?
4a. I've seen people mention the tactrix cable 2.0 is for the Evo X, does it work with the IX, or should I gather a 1.3?

I'm sure these questions are mostly answered on here... my searching wasn't guided as poignantly as I'd hoped. Feel free to suggest some searching terms if I'm asking the same noob questions.

Cheers...

NOMIEZVR4 Aug 23, 2011 01:01 PM

3. I have an evo8 and use a 2.0 cable to log.

If you are going with Mellon , I am sure you can defninetly use the tephra rom's. A coupel of my buddies went with Mellon and used the tephra v7 rom.

1. Mellon does not lock your ECU, however backing up you rom is just good practice.

desiromeo812 Aug 23, 2011 02:52 PM

1. There are programs to unlock your ecu if someone locks it, Saving your stock rom shouldnt be necessary because you can download stock roms online. But you can save it if you want.

2. Map sensor is for monitoring boost, GM 3 bar solenoid is for controlling boost. Two different things. Upgrade the Boost solenoid for better control of your boost & Upgrade to a JDM map sensor if you want to Monitor boost. Both of these can be used together to better control boost, I personally use a 3port boost control solenoid.

3. Tephramod is awesome, its more then just security items that are added. I am an ex honda man and belive that IF they want it they will take it. All you can do is layer security as much as possible.

4. Yes you will still be able to log after you have it tuned, and you should log it because you should be able to make sure the tune you recieved is good. Not that i have any doubts on your choice of tuner, From what i read MELON is a EXcellent tuner and knows his stuff.

4a. Both of the cables have their advantages and disadvantages. I went with the 1.3u just because it was cheaper and i dont mind using my laptop to log, vs 2.0 where you can use a SD card.

Hope to have answered your questions.

Raptord Aug 23, 2011 03:44 PM

Desiro pretty much nailed everything, I'll just chip in with some more info.

1. Never a bad idea to have a backup of your current rom, if only to be able to compare with the one(s) you get from your tuner.

2. USDM Evos comes with a 1-bar sensor which is indeed useless for logging boost as even stock boost is higher than 1 bar. As such an upgraded MAP sensor, such as a JDM MAP sensor or an OMNI map sensor is required to log boost and use PSI-based boost control. IMO it is an excellent investment for boost logging alone, but PSI-based boost control could also be something that inerests you.

3. AFAIK Tephramod doesn't really make you car harder to steal, it's more to add lots of possibilities for tuning the car, such as CEL flashing on knock, big-maps, alt-maps, etc.

4. Yes you can still log after being tuned.

desiromeo812 Aug 23, 2011 04:02 PM

Yay! guess my reading paid off since i know that you know your stuff raptord lol

ProPilot04 Aug 23, 2011 04:35 PM

Yeah thanks squad... that helps lots.

1. I wasn't planning a Mellon tune (though I wasn't NOT planning one?) I was actually planning on checking out a local tuner here called Innovative Tuning. I've read reviews on here that were good, but I'm not certain Mike actually posts or lurks. I might give STM a look too since they're so "renowned" but I've had difficulty getting a hold of them.

2. Am I correct in understanding that our ECU is no different than any other form of flash media though? Basically... if I go and have it tuned without backing up my "stock" data, then it's just gone right? So if I ever wanted to take the car back to stock... it wouldn't be possible aside from getting someone else's stock maps? But every Evo is "different" right?

3. Would it be advisable to gather a 3 bar map sensor prior to getting tuned or at any point? I gather that it would make the tuning that much more accurate from what you lot are saying...

4. So the 2.0 cable is simply the newest version and won't have issues over a 1.3? I know some of the software was buggy (the newer stuff) compared to the older... but nothing with the cables then...

I really appreciate the help chaps!

Sorry... I like to list lol!

Vigman Aug 23, 2011 05:01 PM

Hey,

Originally Posted by ProPilot04 (Post 9554114)
2. Am I correct in understanding that our ECU is no different than any other from of flash media though? Basically... if I go and have it tuned without backing up my "stock" data, then it's just gone right? So if I ever wanted to take the car back to stock... it wouldn't be possible aside from getting someone else's stock maps? But every Evo is "different" right?

You always can go back to stock downloading our Stock ROM version form the wiki lib and you will just have to set your ID back. Note that if you change your MAP sensor, you will also have to rescale it in your stock ROM. It is definitively better to make a safe copy of your ROM before doing anything.

3. Would it be advisable to gather a 3 bar map sensor prior to getting tuned or at any point? I gather that it would make the tuning that much more accurate from what you lot are saying...

I will say YES. Especially if you go Tephra.

4. So the 2.0 cable is simply the newest version and won't have issues over a 1.3? I know some of the software was buggy (the newer stuff) compared to the older... but nothing with the cables then...

2.0 also give you the possibility to log directly without any computer on board.

Hope this help,
Cheers,
C>

Raptord Aug 23, 2011 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by desiromeo812 (Post 9554038)
Yay! guess my reading paid off since i know that you know your stuff raptord lol

Thanks! {thumbup}

PrimerSdime Aug 24, 2011 08:43 AM

The 1.3 cable logs twice as fast as the 2.0 and is cheaper.

ProPilot04 Aug 24, 2011 09:43 AM

Well thanks squad.

I have a pretty small powerful laptop (its a don't call me a netbook, netbook), so maybe I'll look into the 1.3.

Now I need to read up more on this MAP sensor stuff...

marcusE Aug 27, 2011 06:06 AM

Hmmm I have a question as well. I'm planning on getting a email tune with Mellon in September and have everything I need for it.. 1.3, Evoscan, ECU Flash and Virt Dyno along with Boost Gauge and Wideband. Now.. from my understanding I wont be able to log any boost without that Solenoid? So my only reference to how much I boost will be through my gauge? Hmmm.

Raptord Aug 27, 2011 08:22 PM

You need an aftermarket MAP sensor to be able to log boost. My Zeitronix wideband also allows me to log boost, so you could check if your boost gauge has a cable you can plug into your laptop to log with, but it's unlikely.

marcusE Aug 28, 2011 03:02 AM

Sigh Okay, Thanks for the response.