EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   ECU Flash (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash-179/)
-   -   Flashing an Airtrek Turbo (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash/636700-flashing-airtrek-turbo.html)

limaynard Nov 19, 2012 12:26 AM

Flashing an Airtrek Turbo

I was wondering if anyone had experience of using ECUFLASH to flash an Airtrek Turbo?

I received my Openport 2 today, plugged it in and attempted to reaD the ECU.

the first issue was that reflash connector is different for the Airtrek, so I cannibalised the cable to connect the black wire to the green wire in the connector. I then managed to read it ok using the series 3 evo VII definition.

I have a few questions.

The hex file was 256k long and I read somewhere that the Airtrek should be 512k as it has all of the stuff for the auto transmission in the second half, anyone know if this is the case and if so, can ECUFLASH read it all?

Secondly, if i write it (the 256k ROM) to the ECU will it cause any issues?

Thirdly, what does the purple wire in the Airtrek reflash connector do?

Finally, does anyone have a tuned map for a 2002 JDM Airtrek Turbo :-) that I can look at?

Thanks....

GregM Nov 19, 2012 10:36 AM

The xml for the Airtrek hat comes with ecuflash is completely wrong. PM me with your email address and I'll get a decent xml to you.

limaynard Nov 19, 2012 04:56 PM

Thanks, I have just spent a while reading through all of the posts on the GT-A. Without sitting in front of the laptop connected to the Airtrek it will take a while to sink in.

First thing to do is make sure that I can read the full 512kb - I have created a read file (that may or may not work) and then use Greg's definition file and see what that gives me.

It seems as though this is not going to be straightforward - a lot of information but nothing definitive...

If anyone is interested I will post up results to keep all of the Airtrek Turbo stuff in one place.

limaynard Nov 20, 2012 02:57 PM

After initially being able to read the ROM, I now have an error message J2534 error [ERR_TIMEOUT] or similar.

After doing much research I am still none the wiser as it seems a common problem with no definitive solution.

I have uninstalled ecuflash 1.42, ugraded to ecuflash 1.43 and still no luck using my Windows 7 laptop.

I am in the process of building a dedicated Windows XP netbook to see if it is a Windows problem.

I have also downloaded ecu unlocker to see if running that helps but as it originally worked without it I am not sure it will...

Has anyone experienced the same issue?

limaynard Nov 20, 2012 08:06 PM

Okay, I built the XP Netbook and tried it out. Initially same issue so checked all of thesoftware and installed the J2534 drivers.

Still no luck so down to checking connections. After much remaking of connections, I spliced a short length of wire onto the green wire at the reflash connector next to the OBD port. I put a female bullet connector on the end and made up a short cable with a 2.5mm stereo phone jack on one end (to connect to OP2) and a male bullet connector on the other to connec to the reflash connector. Now it reads to ROM.

Using Greg's xml definition and my custom read file it reads 512k with Auto Transmission etc. (thanks Greg)

Now to play around with it - at lest I have smll laptop to run it on...

GregM Nov 20, 2012 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by limaynard (Post 10517518)
Okay, I built the XP Netbook and tried it out. Initially same issue so checked all of thesoftware and installed the J2534 drivers.

Still no luck so down to checking connections. After much remaking of connections, I spliced a short length of wire onto the green wire at the reflash connector next to the OBD port. I put a female bullet connector on the end and made up a short cable with a 2.5mm stereo phone jack on one end (to connect to OP2) and a male bullet connector on the other to connec to the reflash connector. Now it reads to ROM.

Using Greg's xml definition and my custom read file it reads 512k with Auto Transmission etc. (thanks Greg)

Now to play around with it - at lest I have smll laptop to run it on...

Sweet. I don't know what fuel you run, but do a log and check for knock. In NZ, we have to take alot of timing out to get rid of the knock.

limaynard Nov 20, 2012 10:53 PM

Well I flashed it - just took ther speedcut up to 240km/h.

I run 98 - can you still get 98 in NZ?

I brought the car over from Wellington when I moved to the West Island as a personal import, there aren't any others that I hsve seen in Australia...

GregM Nov 20, 2012 11:36 PM

Yea, I'm running 98, but tuned it on 95. You'll need to take some timing out still on 98 I would assume.

limaynard Nov 22, 2012 11:34 AM

This weekend I will start logging some data using Evoscan I can then start looking at what needs to be tuned. I looged a short run last night but in traffic it was difficult. Seemed as though knock sum did spike a few times, although I need to do some research to understand what is normal or acceptable.

The gear line pressures intrigue me, I have always thought the box a bit slushy.

GregM Nov 22, 2012 11:37 AM

The correct value for knock is "0"!!

limaynard Nov 22, 2012 04:51 PM

Agreed - knock should be zero. Did some analysis on the logs and it looks to get as high as 10 very briefly when 85-100 throttle position between 3500-5000 RPM. It is very infrequent.

Given it is JDM and running on 98 fuel I am going to retard the ignition timing on high octne map 1 degree in that rev range for loads 160-200 and test again.

How much timing did you need to retard?

Much easier than the old days of twisting the distibutor body and using a timing light :-)

limaynard Nov 22, 2012 04:55 PM

Or did you change the AFR?

I think getting rid of knock completely might be a bit much - maybe the odd knocksum of 1 or 2...

tscompusa Nov 22, 2012 05:06 PM

those cars are knock happy and the stock knock sensor is next to useless. ive tuned about 4 of those. 1-2 counts is very acceptable. it is not the easiest suv to tune though if you're new.

tscompusa Nov 22, 2012 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by GregM (Post 10514599)
The xml for the Airtrek hat comes with ecuflash is completely wrong. PM me with your email address and I'll get a decent xml to you.

this guy knows!!!!! :lol: :D

limaynard Nov 22, 2012 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by tscompusa (Post 10520139)
those cars are knock happy and the stock knock sensor is next to useless. ive tuned about 4 of those. 1-2 counts is very acceptable. it is not the easiest suv to tune though if you're new.

Thanks - not new to tuning cars but new to doing it with a computer! Theory is the same but you don't get your hands as dirty..

Interesting to hear you've tuned the Airtrek Turbo - never thought it made it that far...