EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   ECU Flash (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash-341/)
-   -   Beginner help with ECUflash (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash/718267-beginner-help-ecuflash.html)

jakgal04 Aug 29, 2015 03:05 PM

Beginner help with ECUflash

So I recently had my car tuned and switched from the Cobb platform to ECUflash. I was wondering how I go about downloading the tuned ROM from my car to my computer. Because when I read from the ECU I get a ReadImage.srf file which I don't believe is really a ROM. I do know that my ROM ID is 52680017.

On a side note, would it be worth loading my maps onto TephraXMOD v2? Any insight is greatly appreciated. {thumbup}

kaj Aug 29, 2015 03:14 PM

you are on the right track. you click the "read" arrow. i think it's blue? i forget. anyway, it will read the ecu then show it in EcuFlash. from there you can save it and re-open it anytime with EcuFlash.
now, if your tuner used a ROM with different definitions (i.e. he's using tehphraXMOD) than you have in your EcuFlash files, then you may not see everything.

hopefully that helps. there's a pretty steep learning curve for EcuFlash and, to an extent EvoScan. once you have the definition files and settings where you want, it's a LOT easier.

jakgal04 Aug 29, 2015 03:17 PM

Thanks for getting back so quick kaj. Clicking on read was how I got the srf file. But thats not an actual ROM I can change and flash back to the car is it?

kaj Aug 29, 2015 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by jakgal04 (Post 11499840)
Thanks for getting back so quick kaj. Clicking on read was how I got the srf file. But thats not an actual ROM I can change and flash back to the car is it?

when you read it, that populates the program with the file. you can make changes there. if you saved the file, then you open it from the "file -> open ROM" or whatever the commands are in the top, right of the screen (not on my laptop, so can't look. sorry). find that file, click on it, and it should open.

IIRC, they are saved as .hex files. since yours is .srf, you probably don't have the definitions needed to read the ROM. that's where it gets a bit more complicated.

jakgal04 Aug 29, 2015 05:06 PM

Yeah its most likely the definitions. I'll take a look into that. Thanks!:beer:

kaj Aug 29, 2015 05:10 PM

i'm not sure about for the X, but i know for my car they have been put into an easy-to-use .zip file. we used to have to open up the ROM in Word Pad, add the definitions, save, etc. now it's pretty much done. you just add the file to the right folder.
hopefully it's as easy for you.

jakgal04 Aug 29, 2015 05:19 PM

I found a few missing definitions so I downloaded them. If it doesn't work when I try it I'll ask my tuner what files he used. :lol:

1bdevo8 Jan 14, 2017 07:43 PM

i have a evo 8 with the same problem...trying to email it to a buddy and it saved as a .srf and he cant open it???

400s Jan 19, 2017 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by 1bdevo8 (Post 11701326)
i have a evo 8 with the same problem...trying to email it to a buddy and it saved as a .srf and he cant open it???

post the rom here... so long as it is not a tuners map....

4b11slayer Jan 19, 2017 04:08 PM

The file should not be saved as a srf file. They should be saved as bin file.

After reading rom from car via ecu flash save it, save as read image, and then select bin file, bottom right corner were it says srf.

Then make sure you have all tephra definitions saved. You can get them on the tephra thread here on evom.

Save, copy all and paste into rommetadata folder,mitsu,evo,roms. Found in program file,open ecu,ecu flash

1bdevo8 Jan 20, 2017 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here it is... I think? lol

Sliverbullet8 Sep 20, 2017 08:09 PM

Help please

Sorry to bring back up an older post, I am having a similar issue, my 2005 evo 8 was tuned back in June of this year by my tuner, I made some changes to the car and sent him a log so that he could make some adjustments. He sent me back a file that is in .srf format. I hooked up my car to my laptop I have a 1.3u cable and ecuflash 1.44 also have evoscan. Turn the key on hit the blue arrow button to download from ECU and it downloads and wants to save as read image .srf so from what I gather my definitions are not there? I looked in the rommetadata/mitsubishi/evo folder and my car is listed with the number 96940011, I assume thats my ECU id is that correct? So do i uave to copy that and move it somewhere or do i need to edit that file? I can only seem to open it with notpad. On a side note i tried to download from my ECU using evoscan and it save a file 20171909_2347.hex so now I'm confused, is 20171909 my ECU I'd? I asked my tuner and he said I need to modify my XML files and he said he can help me past that.
If anyone can help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it. And please if this issue has been discussed in detail somewhere else please send me a link for it, I've been searching for 4 days now.