EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   ECU Flash (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash-179/)
-   -   can't recognize rom nor find the correct xml for evo 9 (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash/750818-cant-recognize-rom-nor-find-correct-xml-evo-9-a.html)

iienigmaii Sep 12, 2018 12:34 PM

can't recognize rom nor find the correct xml for evo 9

Ops,
double post.

iienigmaii Sep 12, 2018 12:37 PM

Hello,
new here and newbie to ecuflash; i'm just trying to help a friend hope you understand :)

So,
he's trying to open a rom given by another guy but ecuflash says "Unknow ROM image" etc etc.
As I understood it works with definitions, xml files, and I guess he doesn't have the right one.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...61093b6ec3.jpg

This is the ROM infos:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...d41c46f067.jpg

He has a lot of xlm's file but anything with 88627779 ID.

He is sure that is a tephra modded rom but i can't find anything searching online for that ID.
No google results, no forums results, downloaded tephra rom definitions on his website, also from here but no file with that id.

Any clue?
may I try forcing others tephra/default xml? (is it even possible?) because i tried to modify a couple of xml, but then ecuflash crash.

He already tuned some evo 8's and 9 but always from stock rom; first time he got stuck.

any other infos that you guys need?
Thanks

Project_Broke Sep 12, 2018 12:43 PM

If it's a pretuned ROM, the ID was probably changed to prevent tampering.

You can try changing the rom id to the Tephra V7 IX rom ID number and see if it breaks down. That's how I solved mine.

iienigmaii Sep 12, 2018 12:56 PM

yeah, I thought the same thing few minutes ago, really ^_^
random ID modified by the tuner.

So you suggest to try all the tephra xml i found and manually change the ID? (or change the rom ID with and hex editor....is it at 0xF52 always?
any other alterations that could be done? for example switching whole map parts inside the file and then manually fix the adresses in the xml file? or it will end to an useless file or bricked ecu if trying to flash it?

Project_Broke Sep 12, 2018 01:49 PM

I didn't need to change the ID in the actual hex file. I just needed to change it on ecuflash's side. I cannot remember specifically where I did it.

Most of the info on the forums do have you change it in a hex editor. Most of the time, I do believe its in 0xF52.

I will try and update when I get to my tuning computer.

iienigmaii Sep 12, 2018 01:49 PM

I modified the rom ID using an hex editor at address 0xFCA trying all the tephra ID i have and only one is kind of working.
The file loaded from ecuflash is the genuine "TephraMOD-88590715-v7.xml" and of course is the one for evo IX.

BUT if i open some tables they don't make any sense.
Values on axis and inside cells are totally wrong.
I think the adresses are wrong.

So, others alterations are mode for sure i guess.....what could it be?

thank you

Originally Posted by Project_Broke (Post 11838742)
I didn't need to change the ID in the actual hex file. I just needed to change it on ecuflash's side. I cannot remember specifically where I did it.

Most of the info on the forums do have you change it in a hex editor. Most of the time, I do believe its in 0xF52.

I will try and update when I get to my tuning computer.

Ok thanks

iienigmaii Sep 13, 2018 02:03 AM

Good Morning Guys,
I think I made it :)

Yesterday I tried only EDM-USDM roms because the file is from an European market car so......why try totally different files?
Well, it seems to be replaced with an AUDM rom.......why :|
By the way ecuflash now loads the rom correctly and all the tables, axis values, cells values etc are good :)

So thank you Project.

Last thing,
when the rom is loaded I got this in the log window:

[10:53:44.280] using metadata XML ID 88580714 from file C:/Program Files (x86)/OpenECU/EcuFlash/rommetadata/mitsubishi/evo/TephraMOD-88580714-v7.xml
which inherits XML ID 88580014 from file C:/Program Files (x86)/OpenECU/EcuFlash/rommetadata/mitsubishi/evo/ecuflash/branches/r3compile/88580014.xml
which inherits XML ID 88580013 from file C:/Program Files (x86)/OpenECU/EcuFlash/rommetadata/mitsubishi/evo/ecuflash/branches/r3compile/88580013.xml
which inherits XML ID evo9base_20081101 from file C:/Program Files (x86)/OpenECU/EcuFlash/rommetadata/mitsubishi/evo/ecuflash/branches/r3compile/evo9base_20081101.xml
what does it mean exactly?
Does it kind of load multiple definitions from different file?

And which is the safest way to manage the file?
Changing the rom ID in the ROM file? or keep it as saved from the ecu and modify the xml instead?

Project_Broke Sep 13, 2018 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by iienigmaii (Post 11838803)
Good Morning Guys,
I think I made it :)

Yesterday I tried only EDM-USDM roms because the file is from an European market car so......why try totally different files?
Well, it seems to be replaced with an AUDM rom.......why :|
By the way ecuflash now loads the rom correctly and all the tables, axis values, cells values etc are good :)

So thank you Project.

Last thing,
when the rom is loaded I got this in the log window:

what does it mean exactly?
Does it kind of load multiple definitions from different file?

And which is the safest way to manage the file?
Changing the rom ID in the ROM file? or keep it as saved from the ecu and modify the xml instead?

It's just inheriting from several ROM IDs, as long as the tables display correctly, and you can flash. It's completely fine.

EV09AWD Aug 18, 2021 03:10 AM

>_< i put in a few hours of work towards this thread too ^_^ hahaha

dragonspeed Jan 27, 2024 02:53 PM

Can't read ROM

Seems there are several individuals that can help me with trying to determine what I am missing from my definition files to be able to read my ROM based on what I read here. I am fairly new to the tune it myself aspect. It was just easier and cheaper to go to ENGLISH to have it done. Now i don't live in that region anymore and its quite expensive to get it done out here. I have paid an awful lot of money so far to get the proper training and more to pay for the programing to tune my evo. Seems weird that no new definitions have been introduced in almost 10 years based on what I can see from these threads but I can't read mine. I can read the base tephra v7 no problem from ECUFlash. Can someone take a look at my rom and assist me in determining what is going on? It is an SRF file and I am unable to load it up here for some reason.

Jason