EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   ECU Flash (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash-179/)
-   -   GM 3 port wastegate solenoid not working right (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash/751239-gm-3-port-wastegate-solenoid-not-working-right.html)

Lumpy Sticks Oct 8, 2018 02:58 PM

GM 3 port wastegate solenoid not working right

Now that I got all my logging working right, I moved on to tuning for boost. First up was installing the GM 3 port wastegate solenoid. Install was super easy and I think it turned out pretty good. No issues there.

In Ecuflash, I modified the ROM as suggested by MRfred in one of his post. I followed it to the tee. Once the base cal was loaded in, I went for a run to log the boost info. Well, I am only getting 10 psi and any adjustments I make do nothing. I tried switching the hoses around on the solenoid and same results. So I figured it was the valve just not working, a bad connection or something. Through Ecuflash, I commanded the wastegate solenoid on and it worked. At that point, I loaded in my factory cal, based off a 2 port solenoid, just to see what it did. Well, it makes a lot of boost, way too much. At this point, I know the valve is working and it seems to be plumbed correctly.

From what I have read, the main thing that controls the boost is the "Baseline WGDC". I can adjust those cells from 0-100 and it makes no change. Still 10 psi like its running off spring pressure only.

My main questions to you guys....

- Is the "Baseline WGDC" the correct function to adjust the boost? I would assume 0% duty cycle means it should be on spring pressure only and 100% would be full boost.
- What do the numbers mean in the "Boost desired engine load"? They are a % starting at 160% @ 500 rpm, tapering down to 105% @ 700 rpm. Is it a % of the actual load?
- Do I need to mess with the "minimum load for boost control"?
- I read that the "base boost" tables should be set to what the ECU is trying to get the boost to be at. Is this true? There was a confusing part where it said something about "boost error correction" + "base boost" need to = desired boost.
- What are the MUT tables? By adjusting those, does that turn on the new functions I added?

After I get the boost working, its all easy stuff from there. If I cant figure it out, I am just going to throw on a Turbosmart WG and run it at whatever spring pressure I want. I dont really want to but at least that way I know it will work. If you guys need me to post up some screen shots of anything, just let me know. Thanks!

Wulfen Oct 8, 2018 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks (Post 11842989)
Now that I got all my logging working right, I moved on to tuning for boost. First up was installing the GM 3 port wastegate solenoid. Install was super easy and I think it turned out pretty good. No issues there.

In Ecuflash, I modified the ROM as suggested by MRfred in one of his post. I followed it to the tee. Once the base cal was loaded in, I went for a run to log the boost info. Well, I am only getting 10 psi and any adjustments I make do nothing. I tried switching the hoses around on the solenoid and same results. So I figured it was the valve just not working, a bad connection or something. Through Ecuflash, I commanded the wastegate solenoid on and it worked. At that point, I loaded in my factory cal, based off a 2 port solenoid, just to see what it did. Well, it makes a lot of boost, way too much. At this point, I know the valve is working and it seems to be plumbed correctly.

From what I have read, the main thing that controls the boost is the "Baseline WGDC". I can adjust those cells from 0-100 and it makes no change. Still 10 psi like its running off spring pressure only.

My main questions to you guys....

- Is the "Baseline WGDC" the correct function to adjust the boost? I would assume 0% duty cycle means it should be on spring pressure only and 100% would be full boost.
- What do the numbers mean in the "Boost desired engine load"? They are a % starting at 160% @ 500 rpm, tapering down to 105% @ 700 rpm. Is it a % of the actual load?
- Do I need to mess with the "minimum load for boost control"?
- I read that the "base boost" tables should be set to what the ECU is trying to get the boost to be at. Is this true? There was a confusing part where it said something about "boost error correction" + "base boost" need to = desired boost.
- What are the MUT tables? By adjusting those, does that turn on the new functions I added?

After I get the boost working, its all easy stuff from there. If I cant figure it out, I am just going to throw on a Turbosmart WG and run it at whatever spring pressure I want. I dont really want to but at least that way I know it will work. If you guys need me to post up some screen shots of anything, just let me know. Thanks!

I experienced somewhat the same thing a while back when I was switching to tephramod. Basically what happened was I was inputting too low WGDC values. Try inputing something like 75% WGDC from 0 to maybe 3500 rpm and see what happens.

Lumpy Sticks Oct 8, 2018 10:17 PM

I have tried 0, 25, 50, 75 and 100% duty cycle across the board. All had the exact same results. Went data logging tonight on my drive home and it hits exactly 11.2 psi.

I also read that a resistor may need to go inline on one of the wires. Could that be the issue? Some people say they work without one though. I have access to a Turbosmart solenoid, should I just try it?

Wulfen Oct 8, 2018 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks (Post 11843088)
I have tried 0, 25, 50, 75 and 100% duty cycle across the board. All had the exact same results. Went data logging tonight on my drive home and it hits exactly 11.2 psi.

I also read that a resistor may need to go online on one of the wires. Could that be the issue? Some people say they work without one though. I have access to a Turbosmart solenoid, should I just try it?

Personally I am running without a pill. And i don't think the solenoid has an issue either. Did you change values on all the WGDC tables or just one?

kaj Oct 8, 2018 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Wulfen (Post 11843091)
Personally I am running without a pill. And i don't think the solenoid has an issue either. Did you change values on all the WGDC tables or just one?

He's talking about a voltage resistor, not the restrictor in the OEM vacuum line.
Make sure you are making changes in the right map.
Again, I highly suggest having someone tune it or at least wait until someone can explain it to you. I'd hate to see something go *BOOM*

powerspeed06 Oct 9, 2018 01:51 AM

check this out. Hope it helps

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...-solenoid.html

Lumpy Sticks Oct 9, 2018 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Wulfen (Post 11843091)

Not running any pills. I changed pretty much every value I could.

Originally Posted by kaj (Post 11843101)
He's talking about a voltage resistor, not the restrictor in the OEM vacuum line.
Make sure you are making changes in the right map.
Again, I highly suggest having someone tune it or at least wait until someone can explain it to you. I'd hate to see something go *BOOM*

You are correct. I am talking about the voltage resistor. And dont worry, its not going to blow up. I have yet to blow and engine up during tuning. This is just a minor setback until I figure out what I did wrong in the programming.

Originally Posted by powerspeed06 (Post 11843108)

Yep read that one like 5 times and still not helping haha.

powerspeed06 Oct 9, 2018 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks (Post 11842989)

In Ecuflash, I modified the ROM as suggested by MRfred in one of his post.

Can you link the post you followed pleased. Just to get a better idea of what you got going on. Haha.

Lumpy Sticks Oct 9, 2018 04:27 PM

I started with this one but I think this is for using the stock solenoid.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...t-control.html

Moved on to this one next.

And read this one for fun.

I also did a generic search on google and found a few more threads but I do no have the links handy

powerspeed06 Oct 10, 2018 03:49 AM

Use the rom file that made too much boost. But before flashing it to your car, lower your “fuel cut” or “boost cut” to something safe like 250-275 load to prevent overboosting. Then lower the baseline wastegate duty cycle table. I believe the stock setting is 100 all the way down. Change it to something like 50. Then follow post #4 here

Lumpy Sticks Oct 10, 2018 11:45 AM

I have tried that as well. I went as far as putting the duty cycle at 0% and still did nothing to help lower the boost. I did mess with the boost cut as well. I didnt like the factory 1 second setting as I feel that is just too long. On my log, I hit the 260 load cell when boost comes on and tapers down to around 240 at red line. So the boost cutoff is now set about 5 higher then it hits with a 1/2 second window.

Here are a couple shots of my quick log from this morning. Stock solenoid is connected and duty cycle is still at 100% across the board.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...957a3009b9.jpg
Above is actual duty cycle

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...ef469f6ac7.jpg
Above is boost

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...dfea3d137e.jpg
And this is duty cycle correction

powerspeed06 Oct 10, 2018 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks (Post 11843398)

Here are a couple shots of my quick log from this morning. Stock solenoid is connected and duty cycle is still at 100% across the board.

Just for clarification, you are trying to control boost with the 3port solenoid installed?

Lumpy Sticks Oct 10, 2018 03:42 PM

Yes I was trying to tune with a 3 port. After failing, I put it back to the stock 2 port which is what is on the car at the moment. I would like to use the 3 port since its more flexible but if I cant get it to work, then IDK.

The odd thing now is that I can tune the 2 port. I took the duty cycle down to 90% and it dropped boost by about 2-3 psi. So honestly, I think I might just give up on the 3 port and leave the 2 port in since I am hitting my desired boost levels.

powerspeed06 Oct 10, 2018 08:10 PM

Sorry it’s not working out for you. 3port is the way to go. Maybe check out tuning technologies since they are close to you and see if they can point you in the right direction as far as setup. I’m really curious as to why it’s not allowing you to control boost with the 3port

Lumpy Sticks Oct 10, 2018 08:41 PM

No worries! Must not be meant to be. Tuning technologies is less then a mile away from my work. I have already talked to the tuner and he is a cool guy. Maybe I'll stop by tomorrow on lunch and see what he has to say. It would be cool if I could pay him to do a hour class on the tuning software.