EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   ECU Flash (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash-179/)
-   -   Evo ix cop - starts / runs / cuts out :( (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash/753968-evo-ix-cop-starts-runs-cuts-out.html)

IXWAGONUK Apr 14, 2019 04:11 PM

Evo ix cop - starts / runs / cuts out :(

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Really sorry to bother you, but i'm at my wits end with my cop setup and wondered if anyone may know of a possible solution?

My Evo 9 JDM wagon is running sw 88570008 which i've recently added a JD customs GTR COP setup... i'm really hoping you've heard of this issue before? The engine starts perfectly and runs without missing a beat for a few seconds then cuts out logging DTC P0300 https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/im...lies/frown.gif

Ive refitted the stock coils and checked wiring, fuses etc.. She then idles fine with no issues... then back to COP and same few seconds then cuts...
Having looked at periphery settings in the file, P0300 is all disabled and if i go one step further and disable all OBD tests as per a thread on the forum the engine still cuts out after a few seconds but with no DTCs reported.

Ive tried a test flash of a stock USDM file and she runs very badly on the COP setup but 'runs' without cutout... So im stumped whats in my 88570008 file that is cutting the engine purely based on the COP behaviour...

Ive attached my ROM in the hope that you may be able to take a look at what might be causing the issue?

Thankyou for you time reading this essay and really hope someone can help with possible solution im missing.

(PS... Ive tried the smaller denso COP from a friends E8 and Audi R8 COP's with exactly the same results then even tried some benchmark std coils with the same disappointing run then cut out with P0300)
(PPS... You're my only hope before spending even more money on new genuine stock Mitsubishi coils)

Thanks again

Nige

MinusPrevious Apr 14, 2019 04:27 PM

Hey, no bother & thanks for joining us

Im not tuner savy but we do have, more than a few, members who know their way around the ECU

:beer:

Biggiesacks Apr 14, 2019 04:47 PM

you might need to adjust your coil settings. If you are over driving them they might be going into a thermal shutdown. Also good head grounding is more important for the cop then the OEM coils. So make sure your head has a good chassis ground.

Evo9_Dubai Apr 14, 2019 09:20 PM

I did not have to change anything in my rom when I switched from stock coils to COP.
Using Toyota Coils.

Just to eliminate the obvious, have you changed the fuse?

IXWAGONUK Apr 15, 2019 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks (Post 11868546)
you might need to adjust your coil settings. If you are over driving them they might be going into a thermal shutdown. Also good head grounding is more important for the cop then the OEM coils. So make sure your head has a good chassis ground.

Thanks for the reply, Earths to the coil packs and head are good, confirmed by running direct new earth to the head & engine and then direct to the coil loom... No change.

Ive done spark dwell comparisons from other roms that are running COP successfully and mine are set the same... Its weird that so far, anything other than the original coils behave in the same (short period perfect smooth idle running before shut down all after an exact time) way

IXWAGONUK Apr 15, 2019 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Evo9_Dubai (Post 11868565)
I did not have to change anything in my rom when I switched from stock coils to COP.
Using Toyota Coils.

Just to eliminate the obvious, have you changed the fuse?

All fuses checked and replaced to be certain... Still runs (idles) without fault on faulty OE coils... Theres something weird going on here :crap:

IXWAGONUK Apr 15, 2019 02:35 AM

Ive ditched the COP setup to test these with the exact same results! {thumbdwn} - However refitting the originals still runs with no cutout...

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...5922a97b91.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...7dd8518e9b.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...e729359c13.jpg

seqenretao Apr 15, 2019 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by IXWAGONUK (Post 11868574)
All fuses checked and replaced to be certain... Still runs (idles) without fault on faulty OE coils... Theres something weird going on here :crap:

The fuse for COP needs to be larger then the OE as they draw more power I think you need to change it to a 15 up from a 10 or something like that

IXWAGONUK Apr 15, 2019 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by seqenretao (Post 11868582)
The fuse for COP needs to be larger then the OE as they draw more power I think you need to change it to a 15 up from a 10 or something like that

The COP kit came with a 15amp but i've popped a 20amp in to be certain... However, looking at the circuit diagram for the coils if the fuse 'was' blown the original coils wouldn't function either, which they do :crap:

Im leaning towards it being a JDM rom file issue, based on the fact there's no engine cut after flashing a USDM rom?

Any thoughts on this? :dunno:

jozy Apr 15, 2019 06:28 PM

maybe your power supply (alternator) is wacky

Evo9_Dubai Apr 18, 2019 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by IXWAGONUK (Post 11868626)
The COP kit came with a 15amp but i've popped a 20amp in to be certain... However, looking at the circuit diagram for the coils if the fuse 'was' blown the original coils wouldn't function either, which they do :crap:

Im leaning towards it being a JDM rom file issue, based on the fact there's no engine cut after flashing a USDM rom?

Any thoughts on this? :dunno:

I am not really familiar with JDM rom but I used to run EDM, never had issues.
I was not aware that any ecu adjustments were required going from stock coils to cop kit.

merlin.oz Apr 18, 2019 04:12 PM

There are parameters dealing with ignition coil failure, perhaps one of those is the issue in your case.
However, the values seem to be consistent across evo789 roms, and i am running 8857 in my AUDM Evo9 with COP - no problems.

You could try swapping in another ECU as it seems you may have a problem with the controller.

IXWAGONUK Apr 18, 2019 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by merlin.oz (Post 11869168)
There are parameters dealing with ignition coil failure, perhaps one of those is the issue in your case.
However, the values seem to be consistent across evo789 roms, and i am running 8857 in my AUDM Evo9 with COP - no problems.

You could try swapping in another ECU as it seems you may have a problem with the controller.

Thanks for that, its great to hear you're running the same sw revision with COP and no issues... This tells me its deffo a wiring / earth fault or ECU coil output fault...

Tomorrow ill check the 'coil ignition relay' (maybe it cant handle the higher current with COP or even the New stock coils) and see if swapping or bypassing it prevents the cut out... If it still cuts out with the relay bypassed im going with the ECU being the issue so will look for a replacement to test :rolleyes:

Do you or anyone happen to know what EVO IX ecu's i could grab that would drop straight in after immo off and flash with my 8857 rom? My current ECU is 1860A587 / E6T46982

Thanks again for all the info :beer:

Nigel

PS I 'could' even look at testing/replacing the coil ic on the ecu main board if replacement ecus are getting hard to locate...

IXWAGONUK Apr 21, 2019 10:38 AM

Hey!

Just thought id check back in to let everyone know ive sorted it :beer:

Upon checking my ECU that wouldnt run any COP set up ( Part No: JE331BA5404A ) i looked at purchasing a used ECU with ideally the same board number...

Hold on to ya hats as this is where it gets juicy!

On close inspection of the boards side by side with pictures of the other unit with the same part number and mine, there are actually three components on my board that literally aren't there on the one for sale...
Sooo as you can guess i broke out the hot air station and removed them from my board to test!

And mind blown! Starts runs and drives on any coil packs without fault or DTC's... (Now running the JD Customs GTR setup)

Im 'sure' i cant be the only JDM evo ix owner that has had this issue? but i 'may' be the only one to find the solution...

Anyway... Thankyou for all your advice and if i can help anyone having the same issue just let me know {thumbup}

JD Customs USA Apr 21, 2019 10:12 PM

Awesome! I'm so glad you were able to figure it out! Now if anyone else has the same issue I can point them to your post for the solution. Great job! Let me know how you like the GT-R coils once you get a chance to drive it a bit.