Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

IX with FS635 turbo and Buschur Engine using Hydra Standalone making 670 whp on pump

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2008, 10:16 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IX with FS635 turbo and Buschur Engine using Hydra Standalone making 670 whp on pump

I have been working for a few months on this big project which really came together amazingly

My customer ran into problems at another facility with false knock counts triggered by his built 2.3 L Buschur bottom end and which the stock ecu intrepreted as knock events but which were not. With this false knock, it was impossible to make the car run smooth and powerful with the stock ecu.

The customer wanted a ecu which could start as easily and smoothly as a stock ecu and also give him driveability and "feel" of a stock like car while making huge power

I suggested the hydra 2.6 platform after using it with much success on my Subaru

We ran into a few minor bugs to get the Hydra to work well with the IX and a lot of time spent dailing in the base maps but I can honestly say that this particular car is the best running stand alone powered Evo I have ever driven.

The Hydra does a great job of handling ignition, starting and fueling with no bugs, issues or problems while keeping a stock like "feel" and function.

The modifications on this car included

Buschur 2.3 L Short Block
Buschur Head
Buschur tubular turbo kit with FS635 turbo and tial 44 wg
Buschur Face FMIC and FMIC pipes
Buschur Mini Batery kit
Buschur Exhuast
Buschur Double pumper
Buschur 1,000 injectors
E Boost 2 EBC
Aquamist HFS 1 with two 1.0 jets and 100% meth
Hydra 2.6 with wideband option
AEM Gauge

Here is the dyno sheet - one pass with the air intake tube 3"

The second pass is with the intake tube removed (we are now making a 4" intake for the car)

670 on pump gas with 32 psi of boost is no joke - note

Stock coils - Stock Intake manifold and TB - Stock suspension

I find the Fs 635 is a really amazing unit and just as impressive as the HTA 86 by Forced Performance you can not go wrong with either unit

Interestingly, I compared the dyno results to my '05 STI - running 34 psi on Pump with same Aquamist HFS meth - here is the dyno sheet with my STI added in - interesting to see how the power bands compare

We'll have some videos of this super clean car soon
Old Nov 4, 2008, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

I always hated the AEM starting functions.

How does the hydra compare on price?
Old Nov 5, 2008, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

AWESOME Al! After this weekend you'll have my Buschur powered 2.0 Evo with the FS635 to compare with this Evo...except I have a few more power mods Is the customer using a .63 or .82 housing Al?
Old Nov 5, 2008, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

yeah i thinking either Haltech or the Hydra just because AEM's startup is rediculous-JOEYD
Old Nov 5, 2008, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

WTF ???
Which one to choose???
HTA86 or FS635 ???
Old Nov 5, 2008, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Damn nice bro. I haven't heard much about the Hydra hmmmm searching time.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

nice power
Old Nov 5, 2008, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

you guys should aslo look at the VIPEC units.

former autronic ECU.
MY autronic idles fine and cold startup is awesome.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice power at only 32psi great job.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 08:09 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by iziegsx
Damn nice bro. I haven't heard much about the Hydra hmmmm searching time.
It has not been very popular in the US market due to the huge success of the AEM EMS.

Simply put there is not that large a market for stand alone ecus and most of the people who wanted one went with AEM.

I wish there was some way for me to describe or show how this car runs and "feels" with the Hydra.

I dont know what is wrong with the AEM but it just does not have the same "feel" when you are driving it compared to some of the other advanced stand alones like Haltec, Motec and Autronic.

The Hydra is very, very hard to properly tune and took me roughly 10 times as long as it would have taken for me to tune an AEM, but the new 2.6 firmware has a lot of the more advanced features you expect in a stand alone and has come a long way from the previous version.

The customer here wanted a car that was as stock like as possible in start up and feel wlong with all the big power that the new turbos and aquamist can provide and in this case the Hydra came through with flying colors.

It was also interesting to note how the 2.3 L Evo with FS635 had nearly an idential power band to my STI with HTA86 - very interesting, you can hardly see the diffiernce in the lines.

We are doing the Buschur ported stock intake and TB on the car today - we'll see what that does.

Al
Old Nov 5, 2008, 08:10 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Sharkbite2000
Nice power at only 32psi great job.
Please feel free anytime you have a chance to come by, I want you to come for a ride in this car and see first hand how it runs. Al
Old Nov 5, 2008, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Please Al post if it is possible the new dyno whp/RPM and WHP/RPM.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Grerat Job AL !!! We were approached with the Hydra EMS on the 350Z platform, but never went for it. I think Vinny Ten is the Hydra guru for the Z's. i have helped tune one on an MR2 a while back and it seemed pretty legit with some nice features..

One thing to stress is that going from a reflash to ANY good standalone will yield amazing results over the stock ECU flash when it comes to drivability.

2 questions for ya.

1) I see in the mods it has a Meth kit, is that "pump gas" considered with the meth injection running?

2) I can see what MPH the turbo comes to life, but do you have a chart showing RPM??

Keep up the good work Al, nice to see some more options for an EMS out there.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Very interesting, my Hydra will be installed tomorrow version 2.1 with a 2.3 engine with a 3076 turbo.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

very nice....a read alot of good stuff about hydra. I am gonna switch out my MaftPro in the near future and I was either gonna with AEM or Hydra. Thanks Al for posting your inputs.

Quick Reply: IX with FS635 turbo and Buschur Engine using Hydra Standalone making 670 whp on pump